PDA

View Full Version : A good friend dropped by today

Boerrancher
02-04-2012, 08:24 PM
It was the typical late winter morning, rainy and wet and I was bummed out because life had happened, and this month was going to be one of those where there was too much month at the end of the money. I had given up on the idea that I would be able to afford a Crockett rifle. My best friend from the time I was little, who is also my hunting, fishing and shooting buddy dropped by to day. He had been pestering me for years, every since I got out of the Hospital from my Afghan tour, that he wanted to get me something to show his appreciation. I had always put him off telling him I didn't want or need anything. This has gone off and on for 4 years.

I was sitting in my easy chair enjoying a cup of tea and watching soccer on the tele, and there was a knock on the door. The wife was in the kitchen and went to the door. As she opened the door she yelled across the house at me, "Joe, Chris is here." I look up and he is carrying a box in.

"What's in the box?" I ask as he hands it to me and sits down. The wife asks if he wants a cup of coffee or tea, and he tells her he has to get going as he has a load of rock he has to deliver.

"What's in the box," I ask again?

"Your birthday present. I thought I would get it to you early. That way you can start using it. The weather is going to be nice tomorrow and Monday. Now open the damn thing so I can get going I am already running late" he said with a sly smile.

It was in a brown box with packing tape on the ends. I dig my pocket knife out of my pocket and go to cutting the seams. When I open the box I notice a second box with the Traditions logo on it, and there is two small boxes with Hornady logo on them.

"You didn't. I told you to never get me anything expensive. Thank you, but I can't accept this." I told him.

He just smiled and said, "Yeah you can. You do all kinds of things for me, and won't accept anything in return. I know you have been wanting something like this since we were kids. I called a week a go and you weren't home so I ask Julie what you have been wanting for your birthday, spare no expense. She told me you wanted one of these, so I ordered it, along with a couple boxes of balls, a patch worm and ball puller. It all should be there."

I didn't know what to say except, "thank you", as I dug out the jigs and opened the rifle box. I knew the Crockett rifles looked nice, but wow! It is hard to tell what they actually look like from a thumbnail photo on a laptop screen. As I was sliding out of the plastic sleeve, Chris got up from where he was seated. "Aren't you going to stick around for a bit," I ask?

"I told you I was running late when I gave you the box," he shouted over his shoulder as he headed toward the door. I sat there for a moment still stupefied as I heard his dump truck roar to life and head down the drive way. I looked at the wife, and before I could say anything she said, "He did ask a while back, but I had no idea."

So what do you do with a new gun? Shoot it of course. I first decided that I needed to clean it up a bit, all of the excess oil and such. So I pulled the nipple and dried it out. Then I went to run a patch down the bore. I didin't have a patch jag to fit the ram rod so I went to my my good cleaning kit and bingo, a nice well fitting plastic patch jag. I pushed the patch down and went to pull it back out. "snap" and my cleaning rod came out with out the jag.

Great... What to do now? I grab my ram rod and threaded on my patch worm, "rats" it won't reach the patch. So I thought about it for awhile. Ended up pulling the nipple and pouring some powder in the barrel through the nipple hole. I went outside put a cap on it and pulled the trigger, after doing this a couple of times, the patch and broken jag flew out and into the yard.

Then it was time to play. I loaded 20 grains of Goex 3fg on a spit patch PRB and took aim at my son's pop up squirrel about 25 yards away, and missed. I missed a bunch more times until I realized that I was putting to much pressure on the powder. I started just gently seating the ball on the powder and bingo. After knocking the little sucker down a half a dozen times, I called it quits. I don't know what kind of group I will be able to shoot with it at 25 yards, but I should be able to do in a few bushy tails with it.

What a way to turn an other wise gloomy day in to a great one. I am sure I will either get a visit from Chris in the next couple of days, if he is busy he will call. He is not as into the Holy Black as I am, but there is still hope.

Best wishes,

Joe

smoked turkey
02-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Joe that is an awesome story. I am excited and happy for you. I'd say that you have a real friend there. Not too many of those around. I 'd also say that you probably deserve it or it wouldn't have happened. Enjoy and give those bushy tails fits!

stronics
02-04-2012, 08:55 PM
What a great friend, you are blessed to have him.
David

winelover
02-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Congrats but we require pictures!

Winelover

canyon-ghost
02-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Joe, it's a great thing when your friends have that much gratitude and respect for you. You should enjoy that rifle as much as possible. Your friend Chris just made my day too!

Thanks,
Ron

BE Wild Willy
02-04-2012, 09:55 PM
congrats but we require pictures!

Winelover

+1...

mooman76
02-04-2012, 10:26 PM
+1...

+2 and pictures while you are shooting it would be nice too. I also am happy for you. So many people out there do good for others and never get a real responce. You have a great friend there.

Ajax
02-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Joe,
What you have there is a true friend. They are few and far between, enjoy him. It speaks volumes about your character my friend. I for one would be glad to call either of you friend.

Andy

Boerrancher
02-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Thanks guys, I will get a few pics up hopefully tomorrow. Through out the years Chris is the only person I would put my life completely in his hands if need be. We grew up together on the farm, he only lived a mile or so away, and spent many a day hunting, shooting, and fishing, when we weren't bucking hay, chasing cows, or fixing fence.

His regular job running a river dredge only runs from the middle of April to the end of October. The winter months are spent hunting and shooting, and early spring is turkey hunting. In the summer the we spend a lot of nights sitting on the dredge catching channel cat and flat heads. He owns a couple of dump trucks and a loader, which is here on the farm. He halls gravel in his spare time for extra cash, and most of the gravel comes from my creek since I want rid of it and he doesn't have to pay for it. So, when he left this morning he was headed down to the creek and get a load of gravel. He is a great fella and an even greater friend, now if I could just get him interested a bit more in the holy black.

Best wishes,

Joe

Fishman
02-05-2012, 10:00 AM
That's a really great story. You are blessed.

Lefty SRH
02-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Thats awesome, thank you for your service!

Boerrancher
02-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Here are the photos:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Boolits/Firearms/CrockettA.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Boolits/Firearms/CrockettB.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Boolits/Firearms/CrockettC.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Boolits/Firearms/CrockettD.jpg

I was surprise that it came with an metal rod. Has this been a standard for the corocketts or is it something that has been added reciently? Also I apologize for the poor quality photos. I am afraid my shooting skills with a camera are not up to par of those with a rifle.

Best wishes,

Joe

winelover
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Nice! Is that a copper ramrod?

Winelover

Boerrancher
02-05-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't think it is solid copper, but a copper plated mild steel. At first I thought it was aluminum until I felt the weight of it. I think it is too heavy to be aluminum. I have all the tools except a cleaning Jag for it. I will head to the local gun shop later today and buy a good nipple wrench, can't find my good one, and see if I can find a brass cleaning jag.

Best wishes,

Joe

exile
02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Wonderful story. Sometimes it is hard to receive a gift, but from a friend like that, what are you going to do? Enjoy it!

Off topic, but I just bought a Savage .22 bolt action and was wanting a steel squirrel target for it. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get one that will pop up?

Congratulations!

exile

Boerrancher
02-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Off topic, but I just bought a Savage .22 bolt action and was wanting a steel squirrel target for it. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get one that will pop up?

It is suppose to spin, but unless you bust it with something big like a 45LC or 50cal ML it just lays over and stands back up.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Boolits/Firearms/097-40954-1.jpg

Here is the link to the page where it is listed on Mid South Shooters:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0009740954

They are less than $15 and so far indestructible. I have shot it with just about everything trying to destroy it. I figured if I couldn't damage it with a big gun then the 8 y/o wouldn't hurt it with his 22. I know it has been shot over 500 times with 22LR, a few times with the 50 cal ML and 45LC. I shot a box of 357 mag out of my revolver at it and only missed it a couple of times. Other than a bunch of grey spots all over it there is no damage. I love it. I am going to buy several more and sit them up at random ranges for squirrel hunting this spring, so the boy can really go to town.

Best wishes,

Joe

mooman76
02-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Nice looking gun. I wanted to get one but I have 3 32's already and can't justify it with the money I have now and so many other guns to buy yet.

Boerrancher
02-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Well the crockett is soaking with some moose milk in the bore. I spent about and hour shooting it and moving the sights so that it shoots a bit closer to point of aim. I was shooting at around 30 yards and I have noticed now that I have put it on paper the amount of pressure you apply to the charge can change the elevation by about 3 inches. Once I figured out that by lightly seating the ball with just the pressure of my thumb let me shoot a couple of 3 shot groups of less than 3/4 of an inch. If I can continue to shoot inch or less groups with it I will be tickled to death. You fellas were not kidding when you said those little Crocketts were shooters. I will play with it more tomorrow. It was raining early and by the time it quit there wasn't as much shooting time left in the day. It is suppose to be nice tomorrow, maybe I can get some range time in before I have to go to town.

Best wishes,

Joe