PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed ( export laws )

blaser.306
02-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Just got off thephone with both of the Canadian locations of Cabelas, Very dissapointing. Neither of them ( or the one opening up here in the spring ) carry ANY Boolit casting equipment! So I thought I would call The real Cabelas (US ) they have the lyman 4500 in stock ($ 80.00 cheaper than here in town ) But will not ship any reloading eqipment north of the US border, no dies , lubers, nothing! All of it is prohibited by US law according the the lady that I talked to. I think the Gov is taking this a little too far. The lady was very pleasant and appologetic , but explained the the government is only watching out for the well being of it's population. Perhaps they received an order for a couple of thousand sizers from a group outside the US and were affraid that they were up to no good .

engineer401
02-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Midwayusa has worldwide distributors including UK. They may be able to ship to you. The site describing International orders is at http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc/Index/international_information. Good luck.

Pioneer2
02-04-2012, 07:14 PM
The lady is full of ****.Canadians can buy and be in possession of black powder guns,air rifles,reloading dies,molds etc.......As non-US citizens we are not allowed ammo,brass,primers,powder or gun parts.Not impressed either as we are paying $40 a lb for powder.Been shopping Stateside for everything before it became illegal for over 30 years.Not any more I guess.I had "Homeland Security " put a stop shipment on a .54 TC Renegade barrel from Midway through a local gunsmith with all the correct papers for importing as a danger to National Security.Unbelievably stupid IMO.....just the ticket for low flying aircraft those BP Hawkens are......they even stoop to taking Canadian licence plate numbers at gunshows and Cabela's store parking lots!........Harold

blaser.306
02-04-2012, 07:19 PM
That is the part I do not understand, There was no problem when I asked a while back ( a month or so ) about a Hornady case prep center. However now there is an outright ban on any reloading stuff. Perhaps because the word bullet appears in the item's name?

kodiak1
02-04-2012, 08:00 PM
blaser pm sent.

Ken

wilit
02-04-2012, 08:07 PM
I had to take a class at work about international shipping regs. It's unbelievable what we Americans aren't allowed to ship internationally without proper licenses and paperwork. ITAR is what covers shipping arms and is pretty restrictive.

shooter93
02-04-2012, 08:16 PM
OK...but is it legal for someone in the US to buy it and send it to you as a private citizen? Don't know the logistics or cost of doing it that way....but if that would suit the idiots occupying gov. offices you could get stuff sent that way. Can't hardly wait for a world government can you?

beagle
02-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I ordered something from RCBS once. Maybe a special order mould. On the invoice was a blurb about it not being exportable.

A cast bullet mould?

Not likely that an invading force would use cast bullets and the technology is hundreds of years old.

I'm thinking we need to redo some of our laws./beagle

Mal Paso
02-04-2012, 10:36 PM
I was under the impression it might help our economy to Increase Exports.

Ausglock
02-04-2012, 10:36 PM
G'day.
Lyman will ship to Australia.
I buy all my Lyman stuff direct from the factory as the Aussie resellers want almost double the US cost of the gear.
I haven't dealt with RCBS.
Lee will ship to Australia too.
So I see no reason why they wouldn't ship to my Canadian Cousins.

Reload3006
02-04-2012, 10:41 PM
To our dear Canadian friends I am sorry but we as a nation elected an Imbecile and until his cabinet is out ITAR will keep prohibiting what they can. They are after all anti gun By restricting exports they drive up costs for US citizens.

robertbank
02-04-2012, 11:05 PM
RCBS can't export direct to Canada because their parent company is restricted to do so due to Federal Defense contracts. Lyman is not in that position and ships directly to Canada.

RCBS is able to honour their guarantied products though. I know this from personal experience.

While I would like to place this all at the foot of Pres. Obama it was the GWB who signed the UN Arms Control regulations., The US Commerce Department under Obama has been very active in ensuring small businesses involved in small arms products pays a price for these regulations.

I would say more but there are folks from Washington that read these threads.

Take Care

Bob

wilit
02-05-2012, 01:39 AM
OK...but is it legal for someone in the US to buy it and send it to you as a private citizen? Don't know the logistics or cost of doing it that way....but if that would suit the idiots occupying gov. offices you could get stuff sent that way. Can't hardly wait for a world government can you?

If you have the proper license, yes. Or you can ship it without them and hope for the best. Exporting is exporting whether it's by a corporation or by an individual.

canyon-ghost
02-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Wilit, your GPS coordinates show a wild location for an American. Hope there's a US Ship under you! Lol.

longbow
02-05-2012, 02:47 AM
Any individual or company with an FFL and (possibly other licenses) can export reloading equipment and firearms. Many American companies choose not to. Some may just not want the added hassle and some may be restricted by government contracts or other conditions.

I have ordered boolit moulds from the States and had no problem having them shipped. On the other hand a local business could not order me a scope mount because it is considered a "gun enhancement" and he didn't have the required US licensing. Not sure why it matters for a Canadian business since, that is importing, but apparently it does. I ordered directly from Brownells and they shipped.

Go figure!

We Canadians can ask and order if the company says they will ship. It is not illegal to import into Canada, it is the exporting from the States that is the problem. It is not worth the hassle for an American or American company to risk winding up in trouble with Homeland Security because they don't have proper licensing and it certainly isn't worth the risk for a Canadian to try to take restricted stuff out of the States. I for one do not want to wind up in a US government database for being a bad boy. That can have long lasting effects.

Longbow

wilit
02-05-2012, 03:41 AM
Wilit, your GPS coordinates show a wild location for an American. Hope there's a US Ship under you! Lol.

Ha! It should really be -122. The coordinates should put you pretty close to the front door of the Gold Club in San Francisco. It's a gentlemen's club where the ladies ... Well, you get the idea.

quasi
02-05-2012, 03:58 AM
use Midsouth or Natchez, they both ship reloading tools to Canada.

Mumblypeg
02-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Beagle, Your statement that we need to re-do some laws is a gross understatement. I saw on the news the other night that the government was thinking about regulating SUGAR, of all things. I guess we're just too sweet...

kend
02-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Any individual or company with an FFL and (possibly other licenses) can export reloading equipment and firearms.
Longbow

An FFL has nothing to do with exporting, the US State Department regulates exports and defense articles are regulated by the DDTC (Directorate of Defense Trade Controls) with licenses and permits under ITAR. Most companies don't export because it IS a pain to go through the process, not to mention a $2,250.00 annual registration fee. Hard to make that back with a few exports.

kend
02-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Beagle, Your statement that we need to re-do some laws is a gross understatement. I saw on the news the other night that the government was thinking about regulating SUGAR, of all things. I guess we're just too sweet...

Sugar dust is explosive, might be why.

DukeInFlorida
02-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Flour dust is also explosive. Lots of bakeries in northern USA buying Canadian wheat flour. I think that should be banned also.

Oh wait... that would make the price of a loaf of bread go up.

Might be why the Canadians can buy a Norinco M1A for under $500, and the damned Springfield Armory version is almost $2000.

Reload3006
02-06-2012, 06:02 PM
For those of you saying dont blame Obama for this its his cabinet that declares how the law is to be implemented. So while the law may have been enacted by under the Bush administration its now being implemented by the Obama administration. with Eric Holder as the acting Lawyer. I agree much of that law needs to be repealed but thats not apt to happen we can only hope and pray.

Shooternz
02-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I enquired about buying a new 8 mm barrel from a company in the States they were happy to export it the required fee was $300 the barrel price was $250 so I guess I will get it from Australia as the New Zealand barrel maker doesn't make an 8mm,
I can get an import permit for free,
Your government seems to be hell bend on screwing the sporting firearms industry
it may not have much effect on Americans but it is making it difficult in other counties
that don't have companies making reloading tools and firearms, Cast boolits and Black powder maybe the only way to shoot in the future,
Robert.[smilie=b:

02-06-2012, 09:29 PM
To our dear Canadian friends I am sorry but we as a nation elected an Imbecile and until his cabinet is out ITAR will keep prohibiting what they can. They are after all anti gun By restricting exports they drive up costs for US citizens.

Reload3006 does not speak for everyone on this forum.

I do not consider our current president an imbecile.

kend
02-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Reload3006 does not speak for everyone on this forum.

I do not consider our current president an imbecile.

im·be·cile   / im-buh-sil
noun
1. Informal . a dunce; blockhead; dolt.
2. Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the second order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, above the level of idiocy, having a mental age of seven or eight years and an intelligence quotient of 25 to 50.

Technically you'd be correct, you got another name for an idiot practicing lunacy?? This country is in the crapper in large part due to his social programs, I'd like to know what to call him.

robertbank
02-07-2012, 10:30 AM
For those of you saying dont blame Obama for this its his cabinet that declares how the law is to be implemented. So while the law may have been enacted by under the Bush administration its now being implemented by the Obama administration. with Eric Holder as the acting Lawyer. I agree much of that law needs to be repealed but thats not apt to happen we can only hope and pray.

This stupid law was implemented by Bush and under Obama has been expanded. Forget party lines one politician is no better than another IMHO.

The anti-gun crowd in the US are having a field day on the backs of US manufacturers and retailers. Strange to me when everyone is complaining about the economy and jobs that a government would be so hell bent on preventing trade.

I know I have legally imported over $3K worth of gun related parts and products from the US in the last two years and that doesn't include Canadian purchases of US manufactured firearms. I know it is a drop in the hat but somebody south of the 49th benefited. Better to do business with my friends than my foes.

Take Care

Bob

Reload3006
02-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Here is the neat thing about a liberal he can trash a conservative and feels its his complete right to speak for the entire world doing it. Let a conservative express his opinion and the Liberal jumps to defense. I find that totally hilarious. Its called free speech as long as you agree with the liberals LMAO. You can say any thing you want to as long as its debauchery. You can believe and act any way you want to as long as it agrees with the Liberal agenda. BUT DONT YOU DARE CRITICIZE MY DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT he stand for every thing in society that is immoral that i totally support. Your are right I dont speak for every one and I thank my Lord for that.

375RUGER
02-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Almost any organic "dust" is explosive if you know how to handle it. You can disassemble a house with 10# of flour a quarter stick and a pyrotechnic.

If they really want to regulate sugar usage, they should quit subsidizing it. The price would go through the roof.

Defcon-One
02-07-2012, 09:46 PM

Bush started this, Bush 1, I mean. GW Bush continued it as did Clinton. Obama is an Imbecile, they all are, but he just inherited these laws.

As long as we elect Liberal Republicans and Liberal Democrats, we are gonna get Liberal policies.

I might ad that canada has a few Imbeciles of their own, not to mention a few lousy laws.

Voters put these guys in office. (Someone must like what they keep doing.)

Or maybe Imbeciles elect Imbeciles! You decide!

robertbank
02-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Bush started this, Bush 1, I mean. GW Bush continued it as did Clinton. Obama is an Imbecile, they all are, but he just inherited these laws.

As long as we elect Liberal Republicans and Liberal Democrats, we are gonna get Liberal policies.

I might ad that canada has a few Imbeciles of their own, not to mention a few lousy laws.

Voters put these guys in office. (Someone must like what they keep doing.)

Or maybe Imbeciles elect Imbeciles! You decide!

Bingo on our politicians. Large urban centers up here, not unlike in the US tend to elect Liberals more so than Conservatives. Most of our stupid guns laws were patterned off of similar laws that exist in California. Some are almost verbatim. Unfortunately here in Canada criminal law falls under the Federal Government responsibilities which is different than what you have in the US where States enact most of your criminal law.

Politicians on either side of the aisle are the same. It just becomes a matter of degree as to how much they screw us over.

Take Care

Bob

Bill*
02-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Yessir, It'll blow up your waistline too :wink:

taminsong
02-10-2012, 12:36 AM
I'm here in the Philippines, when the government forces attack the MILF's Camp Abubakkar in 2008, one of the soldier that was there, now retired, told me that he saw a lot of reloading equipment in that place, keg of powders, and big boxes full of Federal Rifle primers!

I was really wondering reading this thread why the US won't allow reloading stuff to Canada while Muslims here in my part are having a good day with US goods!

BLACKTALON
04-22-2012, 02:50 AM

So is grain dust. Wow, can you see where this may go?

HDS
04-22-2012, 03:03 AM
Just got off thephone with both of the Canadian locations of Cabelas, Very dissapointing. Neither of them ( or the one opening up here in the spring ) carry ANY Boolit casting equipment! So I thought I would call The real Cabelas (US ) they have the lyman 4500 in stock ($ 80.00 cheaper than here in town ) But will not ship any reloading eqipment north of the US border, no dies , lubers, nothing! All of it is prohibited by US law according the the lady that I talked to. I think the Gov is taking this a little too far. The lady was very pleasant and appologetic , but explained the the government is only watching out for the well being of it's population. Perhaps they received an order for a couple of thousand sizers from a group outside the US and were affraid that they were up to no good .

Sounds to me like she was just spinning you a pretty tale on why they don't want to bother. Reloading equipment and accessories are one of those things that have been most definitely allowed.

Alan in Vermont
04-22-2012, 03:00 PM

And a corrupt one at that!!

leadbutt
04-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry guys. We can only ship aks and ammo to mexico for the cartels. Try telling them your really a mexican looking to expand.

L. Bottoms

trevj
05-01-2012, 02:58 PM

Ayup.
Lots of lousy laws up here too.

In most cases, the laws that were brought in to effect, were aimed squarely at things other than those that they ended up effecting. Trying not to come off sounding paranoid, but I have wondered once in a while, exactly who was whispering what into who's ear, that brought these export laws into being, and what if any, sideline agendas were being satisfied.

Politicians are afflicted with a need to be seen "doing something" about stuff. Does not look good on them if they shrug and suggest that enforcing the laws already in place might be the actual solution. Shame that.

Cheers
Trev

1hole
05-01-2012, 03:09 PM
The lady is full of ****..... I had "Homeland Security " put a stop shipment on a .54 TC Renegade barrel from Midway through a local gunsmith with all the correct papers for importing as a danger to National Security."

There seems to be a contridiction between the first statement and the last. ??

KYCaster
05-01-2012, 09:42 PM
An FFL has nothing to do with exporting, the US State Department regulates exports and defense articles are regulated by the DDTC (Directorate of Defense Trade Controls) with licenses and permits under ITAR. Most companies don't export because it IS a pain to go through the process, not to mention a $2,250.00 annual registration fee. Hard to make that back with a few exports.

I have tried to wade through the ITAR regulations and it seems to me that if your product is on their list of regulated items you are subject to the regulations and must pay the fee, whether you intend to export your product or not.

Jerry