PDA

View Full Version : Found: A small cache of NIB Auto Prime IIs

303british.com
02-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I used one of these for 20 odd years to prime cases, but stopped when I accidentally crushed the large primer feeder arm and tray. (They had an unfortunate run in with a steel drawer.) Anyway, as most of you know, they don't make these anymore.

I never had any problems with this thing, despite the warnings about primers blowing up.

http://tecmagex.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/348x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/e/lee_auto_prime_ii_8.jpg

Anyway, I was at Epps Sporting Goods this afternoon (that's in Ontario, Canada) and they had about ten sitting of them on the shelf collecting dust, so I bought one.

For those that are unfamiliar with Epps, it's an older store - wooden floors, shelves, strange stuff hanging from the ceiling. The place is piled high with all sorts of goodies. That's what's neat about the place. You'll find stuff on shelves in places where you don't expect stuff to be. The place is cluttered, but not junky.

I hear that there are still two American hunters in the store somewhere that have been lost since 1969. Can't say whether or not that's true though...

Longwood
02-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I used one of these for 20 odd years to prime cases, but stopped when I accidentally crushed the large primer feeder arm and tray. (They had an unfortunate run in with a steel drawer.) Anyway, as most of you know, they don't make these anymore.

I never had any problems with this thing, despite the warnings about primers blowing up.

http://tecmagex.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/348x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/e/lee_auto_prime_ii_8.jpg

Anyway, I was at Epps Sporting Goods this afternoon (that's in Ontario, Canada) and they had about ten sitting of them on the shelf collecting dust, so I bought one.

For those that are unfamiliar with Epps, it's an older store - wooden floors, shelves, strange stuff hanging from the ceiling. The place is piled high with all sorts of goodies. That's what's neat about the place. You'll find stuff on shelves in places where you don't expect stuff to be. The place is cluttered, but not junky.

I hear that there are still two American hunters in the store somewhere that have been lost since 1969. Can't say whether or not that's true though...

Are you planning on going back soon?
Can we put a "Dibs" one one?
Me first!

303british.com
02-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I can do better than that. They have a website and do mail order.

www.ellwoodepps.com

1hole
02-04-2012, 08:17 PM
For some 25 years I've had two Autoprimes, one for each primer size, and an Autoprime II. Love 'em all, never broke or wore anything out but then I never thought of a screw driver as a complex machine either.

I use the AutoP II in Lee's tiny Reloader press for large quanities just to save my thumb, I've never comprehended why they weren't vastly more popular.

shooterg
02-04-2012, 08:20 PM
How much do they want for 'em ?

Longwood
02-04-2012, 08:28 PM

I sent an email but got back a response that said I should use their catalog, which does not list the items, so I emailed him again and asked him to please look to see if they REALLY do have some.
He evidently went to their computer which says their primer system is on back order ($29.95) but I don't think it is the one I want.

Longwood
02-04-2012, 08:29 PM

How far are you from them?

303british.com
02-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm an hour from the store.

The Auto prime IIs are located on the top shelf immediately to the right of the plastic MTM and Dillon cartridge boxes. Tell them to look there or Steve will come over with a bus full of Wendy Cukier's relatives.

The Auto Prime IIs are probably back ordered because Lee doesn't make them anymore. If your response came from a fellow called Kevin, that would explain the confusion. The porch light's on, but nobody's home with him...

Longwood
02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm an hour from the store.

The Auto prime IIs are located on the top shelf immediately to the right of the plastic MTM and Dillon cartridge boxes. Tell them to look there or Steve will come over with a bus full of Wendy Cukier's relatives.

The Auto Prime IIs are probably back ordered because Lee doesn't make them anymore. If your response came from a fellow called Kevin, that would explain the confusion. The porch light's on, but nobody's home with him...

Thanks Steve, I am on the case.

Moonie
02-05-2012, 01:23 AM
I have one of these, didn't know they stopped making them, I use it when I don't have the handprime shell holder for a cartridge.

303british.com
02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks Steve, I am on the case.

Let us know how you make out.

ErikO
02-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Group buy? lol!

Longwood
02-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Let us know how you make out.

I sent several emails but they only answered the first one so far.

303british.com
02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Hi Loren. I will drive up there this afternoon. What was the name of the person that answered your first email? It's just so I know who to talk to.

Edited to add: I emailed your hughes.net acct and got "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender ".

I'm wondering if that is the reason for no answer. At any rate, I'll go find out what's up.

Longwood
02-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Please don't go to that much effort.
The person that answered signed on with Kevin.
A phone call or email would be plenty from you.

By the way he said that Wendy and friends are welcome and they would teach them a little about firearm safety and political agenda.
Don't go to a lot of trouble please.
Thanks

Longwood
02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Hi Loren. I will drive up there this afternoon. What was the name of the person that answered your first email? It's just so I know who to talk to.

Edited to add: I emailed your hughes.net acct and got "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender ".

I'm wondering if that is the reason for no answer. At any rate, I'll go find out what's up.

I need to fix that. It is my old account before a slight lightning misshap.
FLASH, instant blank!

OK, I fixed my email address.

It is so cool how the internet has changed the world. I have gotten personal help and favors from places as far away as New Foundland and have sent packages of aircraft parts to people in the outback of Australia.

303british.com
02-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Okay. They have your current email address then?

Longwood
02-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Okay. They have your current email address then?

Yes,, it its a Gmail account using a different name.
I will send another to them if you would like me too.
It could help identify me.

303british.com
02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Could you PM it to me? I'll make sure they get it.

Longwood
02-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Could you PM it to me? I'll make sure they get it.

Done.
thanks again

303british.com
02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Okay, I went to the store and had a chat with the owner about what happened. He apologized and told me that he will have a word with Kevin.

I also talked with one of the guys that works in the gun room. His name is Scotty. I gave him an Auto Prime II (taken off the shelf) and he asked if you would email him at the store tomorrow. Ask for Scotty and he will get back to you right away. He is working tomorrow and is expecting to hear from you.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned one of their employees that wasn't too bright. Well, had he really looked, he would have found the Auto Primes exactly where I said they were. Not only that, but there are 12 listed in stock at the store, according to the computer. (Actually, there are more. I counted 16!)

I informed the owner and Scotty that this item is discontinued. It cannot be back ordered like Kevin told you.
---

One last thing, who's the fellow from Wyoming that read this thread and ordered an Auto Prime II a couple of days ago? :)

Longwood
02-08-2012, 07:11 PM
I also talked with one of the guys that works in the gun room. His name is Scotty. I gave him an Auto Prime II (taken off the shelf) and he asked if you would email him at the store tomorrow. Ask for Scotty and he will get back to you right away. He is working tomorrow and is expecting to hear from you.

---

One last thing, who's the fellow from Wyoming that read this thread and ordered an Auto Prime II a couple of days ago? :)

:awesome::guntootsmiley::happy dance::Luvcastboolits:
Thank you kindly for your trouble Steve.
I sure hope you did not make a special trip after you told me how far it is.
I shall contact them right after I take a quick nap.
:CastBoolitsisbest:

303british.com
02-08-2012, 07:24 PM
It was my pleasure.

Actually, I used it as an excuse to drop by the store and pick up another small, inexpensive press. I needed something that I could mount on a piece of hardwood for depriming, crimping and for my powder through expanding die. I got a little Lee Reloader press. :)

Green Frog
02-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I was going to say, "Only in America," but in reality it should be, "only on the Internet!" It's truly amazing how we can have not only international communication, but such cooperation and friendly help between folks unlikely to ever even see one another. This was a truly heartening thing to watch. Now if our politicians could only learn to cooperate for all our good... nah, that'll never happen! :rolleyes:

Froggie

303british.com
02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
It sure is amazing. :-D

Quick communication is one of the positive parts of the Internets! That said, it's a double edged sword and probably deserving of a separate thread in Off Topic.

Longwood
02-11-2012, 02:21 AM

I emailed them and this is what I was quoted.

$29.99

Longwood
02-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Steve,
You were a big help and I want to thank you again.
You are such a nice guy, I bet your girl friends all look like this.

303british.com
02-12-2012, 06:44 PM
I wish my wife looked like that~! :)

You're very welcome. I was at the store again today. It's a stone's throw from my gun club. The grumpy Gus must have been talked to by the boss. He was very polite and addressed me as "sir".

In my office at home, I have a 3x3 table that I mount some of my reloading stuff on. If I'm writing and have to check something out, or if I need to put a small number of cartridges together, I do it there. When I'm not using it as a reloading table, it gets filled up with junk. I just mounted that Lee Reloader press onto it and thought I would share the clutter!

It's hard to see, but I had the Auto Prime running again this morning. It's screwed onto the Lee press.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr179/S_Redgwell/44%20Mag/44magtrim3.jpg

All the best!