PDA

View Full Version : Questions: Lee 38 148 TL WC

ShooterAZ
02-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Last weekend I went out and shot some that I cast and loaded in .38 Special cases, 3.0 Bullseye, seated flush. Accuracy was mediocre in my S&W 686 and Model 10...shooting at about 20 yards. One exception was my TC Contender, one hole groups. No surprise there though, as everything I feed this one is pretty much the same way.

My questions:

1) Seating depth? Since fired in .37 Mag should I seat to the first lube groove instead of flush? Light crimp?

2) Do any of you load these in .357 cases? Is accuracy better with less "jump"?

3) Is anyone willing to share some "pet load" recipes for this boolit? Favorite powders: etc. besides Bullseye.

I appreciate all the advice I have been given on this forum guys...Thank you.

lbaize3
02-04-2012, 11:41 AM
I seat my 38 148 TL WC flush and use 3.0 grains of win 231. Shoots as good as my old eyes and hands allow. It does not seem to make any difference if I shoot it from my 357 or 38 caliber revolvers loaded in this manner.

lesharris
02-04-2012, 02:24 PM
I have shot that bullet in my S&W 686 and had excellant results.
2.7 or 2.8 grains Bullseye seated flush,any case any small pistol primer, however I found correct size bullets did make a difference. Slug your bore and then size at least .001 over the slugged size.
Remember in revolvers the cylinders and barrel may not be the same sizes.
T/C chamber is in the barrel.

Recluse
02-04-2012, 02:38 PM
I have shot that bullet in my S&W 686 and had excellant results.
2.7 or 2.8 grains Bullseye seated flush,any case any small pistol primer, however I found correct size bullets did make a difference. Slug your bore and then size at least .001 over the slugged size.
Remember in revolvers the cylinders and barrel may not be the same sizes.
T/C chamber is in the barrel.

+1

Seated flush (and not knowing how much crimp/what kind of crimp you used), I'd back off to 2.7 grains of Bullseye and see what happens.

My 686's and my K-frame Smiths love this load at any distance.

I don't seat flush, however, but instead leaving just the smallest bit of boolit exposed from the brass so I can do a good roll crimp. I don't have the TL boolit, though.

First thing I would do is back off to 2.7 grains of Bullseye, then see how they shoot. Next thing would be to check your seating depth and crimp.

:coffee:

XTOL
02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
I love this bullet...I cast them from range scrap. Size to .358 in a Lee push through.
Tumble lube in straight LLA.

Load in 357 cases over 4.0 grains of Unique. Any primer.

Like Recluse I dont seat flush...space out just the tiniest bit so there is
something to crimp against. Light crimp.

Shoots great out of my Ruger GP100.

catboat
02-05-2012, 12:17 AM
I can only pass on my findings with this bullet. I have shot it in (all 6" barrels) : SW model 14 38 special (two of them, one a full lug barrel, the other a "standard" barrel), a SW model 28 "Highway Patrolman" 357 mag, and a SW 586 357 mag.

I shoot in an indoor local range for ISU centerfire matches. Club rules: only 38 special cases can be used (even if revolver chambered for 357 mag). So , all my testing was with 38 special cases.

Results:
I worked up loads using Bullseye powder from 2.2, 2.5, 2.7, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4 grains. I got best results in 38 special chambered revolvers with 3.2 grains of Bullseye. I got best results in 357 magnum chambered revolvers (using 38 special cases) using 3.4 grains of Bullseye.

One key finding in my load testing was that in any revolver I had, I attained best accuracy with this bullet (Lee 358-148 tumble lube with sprue loaded forward) when it was seated to just touch the forcing cone (but would still drop into the chamber without a press fit from a finger). I believe the 357 mag cases attained this seating depth at "4 or 5 lube rings exposed", and a very light roll crimp applied. The 38 special chambered revolvers attained this seating depth at 2-3 rings exposed.

As I understand it, since the wadcutter was seated out further in the 357 case, it left more interior room inside the case. This would reduce pressure, and therefore velocities. Due to this, more powder is needed to get velocity and pressure up. This required-at least in my tests- about an extra 0.2 grains of Bullseye when loading for 357 chambered revolvers, using 38 special cases, compared to the same powder load (and a "deeper seated" bullet) in 38 special chambered revolvers.

It wouldn't surprise me if these findings are not gospel-but just a guideline. The point I hope you take from this is that you may find a benefit to seat the bullet out further to help align itself in the tighter cylinder throat and perhaps be a reason why I saw improved accuracy with this condition. But, loading the bullets out further reduces pressure, so powder charge can be bumped up a bit. Don't be afraid to take methodical steps to evaluate your firearms performance. Keep a log. Enjoy the process.

You are shooting revolvers with two different chamberings (38 special and 357 magnum), and you are shooting the same load in each. You are getting mixed, and less-than-desired results.

Treat them (the two different chamberings of 38 special and 357 mag) as two separate beasts, as they are Perhaps the above ideas can improve your results. Tailor your ammunition to each revolver. Try seating to the cylinder throat entry point first for each chambering. Test it. Then bump up your powder a bit in the cartridges seated "long" (357 mag cases). Good luck. Keep us posted on your findings.