PDA

View Full Version : Which Digital Powder Scale

eniku40
02-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Hi,
Just getting into reloading and while I have a RCBS 10-10, I'd like to get a digital scale as well for a 'second opinion'.

Is the Frankford Arsenal DS-750 a reasonably decent scale for $20 or should I be looking at something else.

I'll mainly be loading 357mag/45 colt for rifles. (with an occasional 30 caliber thrown in)

noylj
02-04-2012, 01:47 AM
The only balances that I see as being worth buying, beam or digital, cost at least $80.
Be sure that the balance is accurate to 0.1gn (+/- 0.05gn). Some of the cheaper units are only good for 0.2gn.
Also, the inexpensive balances often are not well shielded from interference.

Chicken Thief
02-04-2012, 04:59 AM
It can be done for $10

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/portable-1-3-lcd-digital-pocket-scale-100g-0-01g-2-x-aaa-107680

Moonman
02-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Try Brian Enos web site. (Dillon Equipment) He has a reasonable one that's NOT a Dillon.

02-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I tried using an electronic scale, but soon discovered it was very slow to react to trickled powder, the 30-second auto-shutoff was aggravating, and dealing with batteries was frustrating. Now, it's only use is to weigh boolits.

If you are determined to buy one, get one that is AC-operated and is well shielded against any form of electrical interference.

Gravity is free and infallible.

1hole
02-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Digitals are okay for weighting bullets and cases; no guns will get damaged if that's a bit off.

I'm a retired precision electronic instrument tech and long time reloader who has never gotten the fasination some have for digital gimmicks of any kind.

Reload3006
02-04-2012, 12:04 PM
I have had and verified several RCBS 5-0-5 scales I still own two. When I started Swaging I bought a RCBS Range master it was a lot more expensive than I was comfortable paying. If I am weighing my powder charges I much prefer my 5-0-5 if I am weighing boolits i prefer my Range Master. I got the range master because I wanted a digital scale that wouldnt shut its self off to save batteries and I wanted a scale that i could plug in. I dont want to have to dig up batteries when Im loading or swaging and then say Oh darn my battery is dead or weak I need a new one and instead of loading swaging or casting I am making a trip to the store for batteries.
My .02 if its worth it.

ph4570
02-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I purchased a $20 electronic one about 5 years ago from fleabay. I may have gotten lucky with the one I got. Every time I have checked it with the weight check set it is within 0.1 grains.

It is not good for powder trickling as mentioned in another post. It is affected by a slight breeze as from a fan. Mine seems unaffected by ambient temperature.

I still adjust the powder measure using an RCBS 10-10. I use the electronic one as a cross check on the RCBS to ensure I did not mess up the setting. I also use the electronic one to measure each loaded round and sometimes cast bullets.

eniku40
02-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys. Plenty of food for thought. Let me look for the plug-in kind so I don't have to deal with batteries.

engineer401
02-04-2012, 07:16 PM
I use the RCBS 505 scale for reloading. I use the RCBS digital scale for bullet weights as others do. The problem I have with the digital scale is that I must re-zero the scale every time I want to weigh something. It is a royal pain. I am not happy with the digital scale. The beam scale may seem primitive and slow but it doesn't give me any grief. I will say this. They both agree when I compare powder loads which gives me reasonable assurance they are somewhat accurate.

Ickisrulz
02-04-2012, 10:05 PM
I use the Frankford Arsenal DS-750. I've had it about 2 years now and am happy with it. I use it for sorting bullets and to set my Uniflow measure. Once set, I check the Uniflow with my RCBS balance. I have found they agree to within +/- 0.1 grains. The Frankford is not suitable for trickling powder as ph4570 noted.

oldreloader
02-05-2012, 12:30 AM
I use a RCBS 502 balance and a RCBS Rangemaster 750 digital. Both are very accurate and I would reccommend either of them.

FWest
02-05-2012, 08:00 AM
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product.aspx?i=14859&sb=1

If I had not already got a Range Master 750 I would get this scale.

mooman76
02-05-2012, 01:23 PM
All I do for mine is tap the scale when I trickle to make it reregister again. I don't trickle that often as I find accuracy is good enough for me without. If I was into the bench accuracy, I would use a beam instead. If I was to do it over again, I'd get one of those charge mast combos. I here RCBS makes a good one.

snowshooze
02-06-2012, 10:23 PM
I have the RCBS Chargemaster 1500.
It is the autoscale. I love it.
I checked it's accuracy against my Forster beam scale reading a live beam.. and it is excellent.
In fact, it's resolution is finer than the Forster. I can weigh 50 gr out of the autoscale to the Forster and it reads 50 every time. But when I trickle 50 into the Forster and check it on the RCBS... I get 50.4, 49.6... etc. The electronic has a finer resolution than a swinging beam!
Yes, I found it very difficult to believe... but there it is.
So any RCBS digital should be right in there.
---TIP--- Static can interfere... wipe it down with a bounce fabric softener sheet... troubles evaporate.