PDA

View Full Version : Another 310 die question

jschluter
02-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Retired, found a little time and a range so I want to start shooting a Sharps 45-70. I found a cigar box of 310 dies and have identified most from info in the threads on this site. But I still have some questions.
What lengths were available for the 310 expander chamber bodies? There seemed to be 3 different lengths available.
The Sharps apparently was re-barreled with a Gatling gun barrel based on the info I have gathered on the rifling data. Problem is that it has a 0.460" bore diameter. I found a source of lead 0.460" bullets in 405 gr, but may need to alter (open up) some of the case prep and seating dies. Is there a source for modified or custom made 310 dies?

ktw
02-04-2012, 12:21 AM
try "The 310 Shop" at http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

-ktw

Bealzybub
03-02-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm callin that guy to see if he wants my 310's. If he doesnt, and after I get my 25 posts I'll put them on S&S.

scrapcan
03-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Bealzybub,

Please do stick around and keep the members in mind here. There are a few who are into 310/tru line jr dies. It is always good to have the opportunity to pass along some parts to help others complete sets or get a set they don't have.

Jschluter,

There are 3 body lengths in the standard thread diameter of the 310/truline jt for the expanders, short medium and long. Also you may find older sets of dies for previous tong tools in smaller diameter and larger diameter. If you have the smaller or larger diameters I know several who would like to see them for the research they are doing on the older tools.

Green Frog
03-02-2012, 09:08 PM
+1 to manleyjt... I think you will have an enthusiastic audience here on the board if you have any unusual ones. Sets are good, odd ball individual dies are more hit or miss, but are desirable for those of us resurrecting sets or putting together special groupings.

As for the question about a .460" expanding plug for a .45-70, this may be a bit more of a challenge than most as there weren't many cartridges that large in the 310 tool universe. A good machinist should be able to make one for you relatively easily though.

Froggie