PDA

View Full Version : Daughter needs a "mini" 22lr.

lefty_red
03-13-2007, 03:06 PM
My youngest daughter was finially stepped up and say she wants to shoot with me and her older sister! :drinks:

I started her out with an afternoon in the driveway and shooting with her Red Ryder. Its a little long for her, but she managed. She was able to keep her shots on the paper, and was grouping pretty nicely towards the end. I got her a Crossman 760 pump, cause it was shorter. She is going really good with it and four pumps. She can pump it herself and likes the targets I download for her. I think the shooting gallery ducks are her favorite, follwed by the charging rhino!

Well, I'm wanting to surprise her with a shortened 22lr, so she can shoot it with us at the range. I'm down to the Marlin 15y, the Savage Cub, the Crickett, and the Rossi. I like the safety on the side instead of the pull charger. I had the NEF youth for my oldest daughter and she didn't like it at all. Too heavy. But the Rossi is lighter and seems to be a little less chunky.

I'm taking her this weekend to try out the Crickett and the Marlin and the Rossi. I can't find a Savage around here, but they seem to be the same size as the Crickett. I can order it quickly if needed.

I need to know if there is any problems with any of the model I've chosen to have her try out. She will be shooting alot. I'm guessing 150-250 rounds a week, cause we go to the range to shot 22s about three times a week.

Also, she will be starting out with open sights, but will be wanting a scope later. And I'm thinking she is a small frame girl and will be using this rifle for about two years.

Thanks, Jerry

Lloyd Smale
03-13-2007, 03:50 PM
ive got one of the old chipmunks and mine is a deluxe with cut checkered walnut. If you look on the auction sights you might find one. IMO they were the cadilacs of the little .22s

dubber123
03-13-2007, 05:10 PM
I got my nephew one of the Marlin mod 15's, he has put a ton of rounds through it, no problems and plenty accurate. Put a fixed 2.5X scope on it.

Uncle R.
03-13-2007, 05:35 PM
I bought a Marlin "Little Buckaroo" about 4 years ago for my son and never regretted that choice. I've always thought that the Chipmunk was the best (cutest) looking of them all but I heard or read somewhere that they had outrageous trigger pulls.
The Marlin is stone reliable and reasonably accurate. The trigger is pretty good - gotta little creep but remember who it's for. A match -grade trigger would probably be hazardous, and a really BAD trigger would be very discouraging to a beginner. I'm happy with it.

versifier
03-13-2007, 05:45 PM
I got my daughter a pink-stocked Crickett last fall. She loves it, and the peep sight on it makes it a lot easier for her to shoot acurately. The day I went to the range with her to sight it in, there was a guy with a .50BMG single shot. It made for an interesting contrast side by side on the firing line. I did install sling swivels and a sling on it, and we got out squirrel hunting once together. The squirrels didn't cooperate that day - we didn't see one all afternoon, but it was a great day together. I am impressed at how accurate the little sucker is, especially considering the low price. A Weatherby it isn't, but it sure made her happy.

No_1
03-13-2007, 05:56 PM
I started my daughter when she was 4 with a ruger 10/22. I just cut the stock really short for her. I put a scope on it so she could get instant success and used a front bag since it was all training from the bench. I believe the ticket to keeping them interested is keeping the instant success high. They will think it is fun and will continue. Start with easy targets that are close then move the targets out as she progresses. Once she has gained confidence, do shooting competitions between the siblings.

She still has that rifle today (13 1/2 now) along with a cz-452 in .22, a custom martini cadet in .22 mag and a ruger bull barrel pistol. The 10/22 is her "go-to" gun to this day (standard stocked now). She has great confidence with that one since it is the one she has had since day 1. There will be those that say a single shot is the ticket for learners but if you are standing right on top of her (which you should be) then the 10 round mag makes no difference. Just start her with a couple of rounds in the mag then work her up to a full mag.

I kind of went beyond your original question with my answer but I wanted to share my experience with you so you may get more ideas for your use.

Good luck!

Robert

I bought a Marlin "Little Buckaroo" about 4 years ago for my son and never regretted that choice. I've always thought that the Chipmunk was the best (cutest) looking of them all but I heard or read somewhere that they had outrageous trigger pulls.
The Marlin is stone reliable and reasonably accurate. The trigger is pretty good - gotta little creep but remember who it's for. A match -grade trigger would probably be hazardous, and a really BAD trigger would be very discouraging to a beginner. I'm happy with it.

lefty_red
03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
She really trigger minded. I was really impressed by her.

I was thinking about a semi, but I really don't want to mess around with cutting down the stock.

The trigger is the one thing I like the Savage CUB.

The Marlin said something about having a T900 (?) trigger. ANyone know anything about it?

Jerry

lefty_red
03-13-2007, 06:26 PM
BTW she is 11, but very small. She's a "flyer" in the cheerleading team.

I had her looking at the Crickett rifles, she picked the blued one with walnut stock! She has taste!

Jerry

wiljen
03-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I took a box of parts that had at one point been an armscor 22 that somebody took apart, and cut it down to 16.25" barrel and 11" length of pull. My 8 year old daughter will shoot prone using a sleeping bag under her (cold concrete) and sandbags - she loves hopping golf balls around the range between 25-50 yards. If I'd known how well that little rifle was gonna shoot - I mighta kept it.

NVcurmudgeon
03-13-2007, 07:05 PM
I think Versfier has the right idea, the pink Cricket. Very important get a peep sight or low-power scope. Kids will learn better and faster, and stay interested if they have good sights. There weren't any true little kid rifles arund when my kids were learning so I cut down a Marlin bolt action to 16.5" barrel and 11.5 pull, shortened the trigger spring, and put the magazne in a safe place. With an entry-level Weaver 4X it was maybe a little heavy, but my daughter managed OK at age 5, and the boy started at age 6. Also broke in my nephew, (later Special Forces in Afghanistan and Iraq) with the little Marlin. After our family's kids were grown up I spliced the cut off piece of stock back on and gave it to a man who used it to start his 14 year old boy. So that little Marlin Glenfield really earned its keep.

pumpguy
03-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Ditto to no1. I got my daughter a 10/22 and have never regrettred it. I cut down the stock and made her learn with open sights. I really think that is important. You can get stocks for these little guns for about $20.00 on Fleabay. The main advantage in my mind for this is that they outgrow the crickets and the other small guns and with the Ruger, a cheap restock gets them back in to a full sized gun. With her shotgun, though, I went with an 870 youth model. But, you didn't ask about that did you?

jdhenry
03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
I bought my 10 year old a HENRY .22 youth. She LOVES it!!!!!!!!( ME TOO he,he) Its a great .22.

just my .02

Jeremy

mr mom
03-14-2007, 08:13 AM
IF you can find 1 i think the best little rifle for young kids if they are realy into it would be the anchutz woodchucker. its o.a.l. is about 31" and weighs about 3#'s if that... i started my kids out on it when they were 4... it has a adj. trigger on it and 5 shot... man can that thing shoot!!!!!! ive had alot of guys want it for a truck gun.... my kids all started useing it on the silouhette range... you should see the faces on the guys when they hit the ram at 100 m with that thing.

mtngunr
03-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Buy the original......buy the Chipmunk......no, buy two, otherwise you'll never let her touch hers........

KCSO
03-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Look into the Charles daly youth 22. They have one great advantage over the Savage, Cricket ect, they cokc on opening and there is NO knob to pull back. I remember my first M15 and how the slick knob on that old gun would be hard to pull and sometimes slip. My cousin had to use both hands and so he would put the barrel between his feet and yank back on the knob... You know where this went, he spattered the bottom of his feet but good.

Stray Round
03-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Don't over look the CZ Scout. I believe they to have a more sophisticated action and the trigger is easily tweeked to whatever type of pull you need. They come with a single shot adapter and you can later use a five round magazine when your little shooter matures (or if you develop a liking for the rifle which is highly probable).

The little CZ is a tack driver and I think they are more durable than the other rifles litsted.

lefty_red
03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Well, I took Ali to look at some rifles today. The Chipmunk sized ones were too small. And I wasn't goign to pay $200 for a stainless Marlin 915Y! SHe picked out a HENRY YOUTH LEVER and we pick it up tomorrow! It has a nice smooth action and the trigger is really nice. I'll take her out Friday and post some pics.

Jerry

ktw
03-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I have a set of the 22lr scale metallic silhouette targets. I set them up fairly close and let the kids shoot at them from the bench. They get a big kick out of hearing them go >tink< and watching them fall over.

A lot more interactive and rewarding than shooting at paper targets for someone their age.

-ktw

lefty_red
03-14-2007, 08:44 PM
We have a couple set of plates of different sizes on the 22lr only range at the gun club. I picked up a five shot resetting target for them also.

There is a set of metalic targets at the club, I've just got to get ahold of the right person to get them set back up. There is a "cleanup" day next weekend, might get something started.

Jerry

NickSS
03-15-2007, 12:34 PM
I have an Anshutz woodchucker that I have used for all my kids first gun as they outgrew the rifle I bought them whatever they wanted to replace it with. Now I use it myself. The stock is a little short but it shoots extreamly well (1 to 1.5 inches at 100 yards). I can't even estimate all the squirrels that have been shot with it as well as other game. I think this little rifle would be among the last I would get rid of.

Newtire
04-03-2007, 08:32 AM
I have a set of the 22lr scale metallic silhouette targets. I set them up fairly close and let the kids shoot at them from the bench. They get a big kick out of hearing them go >tink< and watching them fall over.

A lot more interactive and rewarding than shooting at paper targets for someone their age.

-ktw

I took my daughter to the range with a chipmunk the first time and set up a pie plate at 25 yds. She shot the big 4" bull and put em all in. that made her day I could tell. She was only 10 yrs. old. My son started at 8.

I think setting them up for success is the way to go. We mostly go to the tin can range when I take her anymore (which was 2-weekends ago and she's 23 now). She loved shooting the FN Mauser and Turk with mild cast boolit loads. Those slow moving cast boolits really make the tin cans fly! Start them young and make shooters out of them. You don't hear my kids bad-mouthing shooting and they are only going to help others have fun and serve to promote our sport. Good going!

schutzen
04-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Years ago I purchased a Marlin 15YN for my boys. It has been a very reliable gun with thousands of rounds shot through it. The one fault it had was the trigger pull. I had to have the trigger polished before anybody could shoot it with any accuracy. It came with a 15-16 pound trigger pull and I had it honed to a crisp 5 pound pull. I suspect this was a "lawyer fault". The hard trigger pull was probably some non-shooters idea of safety. I have also used the Anchutz Woodchucker in a youth configuration. It was a great rifle, but 3 times the price of the Marlin.

Calhunter
04-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I bought my daughter the pink Crickett for her 10th bday. She loves it. Took it out the same weekend and she must have shot half a box of bulk federal through it. The peep sight works great too. Like others have said, it's not a weatherby or kimber but shoots great. The workmanship on them is a little rough but for around $100 it's worth the price for something that she will grow out of in a couple years.

:drinks:
Calhunter

7br
04-14-2007, 03:04 PM
I am going suggest a different direction. I have ratholed T/C Contender frames for all of my kids. The biggest problem is the older style is harder to open than the newer G2 model. Not necessarily a problem if you are right beside them shooting. The G2 will also accept a muzzleloader barrel. I have 2 .22 carbine barrels and looking for a third, a 18.5" 7TCU barrel, two 10" .22 match barrels, and a 10" hornet barrel. If my 12 year old decides to deer hunt this year, he can use the 7TCU. Squirrel hunting, he can use the .22 carbine. If they decide to silhouette shoot with me, they can. When they get older, I'll swap the buttstock and they can still shoot it. Buy the rynite stocks and paint them pink camofluage and you have the cats pajama's for a little girl. At least my 8 year daughter is begging me to do that when I finally locate her barrel.

My experience with the Charles Daley youth model was less then great. The trigger was heavy to the point that I had a hard time shooting it accurately. When I took it to a gunsmith, it came back with an unsafe safety. (Symptoms: Put the safety halfway between safe and fire, pull trigger, sear would release, but safetly would block the firing pin. Push safety forward, and the pin would drop and fire the gun)

I also had issues with the rossi .22/20ga switch barrel combo. The 20gauge kicked like a mule and I had the contender frames for a much better rifle. The safety is awkward and not very good for field shooting.

Now for my unsolicited comments on shotguns. When I was single and had way too much money, I purchased a Rem 1100lt special field. I bought a youth stock and think it is pretty sweet for a kid's gun. If I don't want him chewing up ammo, I let hime load it singly.