PDA

View Full Version : Hornady LnL AP case feeder, modified & PTX's

blikseme300
02-03-2012, 08:31 PM
I recently acquired a new LnL AP together with the case and bullet feeder.

The first caliber I set up was .40S&W. Problem with the case feeder is that the small feeder tube is a very tight fit and the large too loose. If a case was slightly deformed it would get stuck in the clear small tube.

Being a what I am I looked to what I could do to fix this annoyance. I noticed that the tubes I have on my Lee 1000's are between the 2 sizes that Hornady supply. I took the top and bottom parts and machined them out a tad to fit the Lee tube. Presto! No more hang-ups. This tube works for my 9mmP and .38spl as well.

So far I am really liking the AP and have tinkered quite a bit. Other than the modified case feeder I have made my own PTX's for .40S&W and 9mmP boolits. These open up the necks like the M-type dies do and have proven themselves. I seat and crimp in 2 steps. I really like the Hornady taper crimp dies.

Next up is tooling up for .45ACP.

Bliksem

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Bliksem,

You might wanna think about making a few more of those PTX's that work like an M-die for rifle calibers such as .308, .24, .310, .311, .313, .314, etc. I betcha lots of folks would be interested in buying one. All you need is to mark them with the size caliber they're intended to expand for.

On the Hornady case feed: You're not the first fella that's run into that problem with the .40 caliber tubing. Apparently Hornady is focused on .38 and .45 caliber. Congratulations on a great solution for the problem.

BTW, can we get some pics on those PTX's?

Colorado4wheel
02-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I think Hornady has a separate tube they will give you for .40. The .40 tube I had worked fine with my tube. Apparently their machining is a little imprecise and some work fine and some don't. If you don't have a machine shop call Hornady.