PDA

View Full Version : assembly book?

xpshooter
03-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a book upon the Dan Wesson revolvers and how to take them apart and put them back together.
The goal to this is to take the cyl out of my guns take them to work and hone all of the cyl throats to the same dimension. I can see the machineing marks in them now and I have measured a small (.429) dia. hole in each cyl versus the rest of the holes around .430.

Frank46
03-14-2007, 01:06 AM
I ddon't know if there is a barnes & noble near you, but they sell one heck of a disassembly book there. Think its about $30 (CRS again) You could peruse the contents to see if your firearm is listed. I'm still trying how to swap the mag release from the left side to the right on my P239. The Baretta is easy to do and the trigger finger is faster releasing the mag from the right than from the left. Did a few at the local range and it takes about 5 minutes. Sure wish my 1911 worked that way. Smith & Alexander get about $100 a pop fro their right hand mag release. Frank

fourarmed
03-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Volume 2 of J.B. Wood's series on Assembly/Disassembly of common guns covers the Dan Wesson very well. If you know anyone who gets American Gunsmith, the last issue of it also covers the DW.

scrapcan
03-16-2007, 10:52 AM
You now have a title, you can go to the local library and if they don't have it have them do an interlibrary loan. You then go to the copy machine and make copies of the section that you need.

Or you can just by the book because you will need it for the next project.

Scrounger
03-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a book upon the Dan Wesson revolvers and how to take them apart and put them back together.
The goal to this is to take the cyl out of my guns take them to work and hone all of the cyl throats to the same dimension. I can see the machineing marks in them now and I have measured a small (.429) dia. hole in each cyl versus the rest of the holes around .430.

Fire-lapping will hone out the cylinder throats, cheaply, easily, and more enjoyably. Here is an instruction I found on the internet on disassembling the Dan Wesson:

Dan Wesson Disassembly Instructions

Remove rear sight by punching out the retaining pin (this is to make hammer reinsertion later easier).
Remove the grips.
Pull the hammer back and tighten the 3/48th screw 1 or 2 turns to capture the hammer.*
Pull trigger to release the hammer into its captured position.
Pound out the hammer pivot pin left to right.
Pull trigger and lift hammer straight up out of its slot.
Punch out the trigger guard.
Remove half-moon lock on lower crane leg. use needle nose pliers to remove the crane lock.
Hold revolver upside down and work cylinder back and forth on crane to remove it.
Remove cylinder and crane assembly.
Unscrew the ejector rod, spinning it counter-clockwise.
Use empty cleaning rod to remove the main spring guide bye inserting the empty end over the spring guide where the guide meets the hammer. compress the spring and unscrew the 3/48 screw.
*On my own Dan Wesson, turning this screw did not capture the hammer, nor could I see how it would be possible. Your mileage may vary.

Here's a good "Exploded parts Diagram": http://www.gunsworld.com/exploded/dan44.htm