PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Locking Bolt Block

Shiloh
02-03-2012, 08:16 PM
My son has a late model Mod 94 Angle Eject rifle.
There was some rust and discoloration on the locking block part.
I took the rifle apart and this piece is cast stainless steel.

There is some porosity in the steel causing the discoloration and rust.
My question is, on the earlier versions, early post '64 and later, was this part
a machined part??

Shiloh

oneokie
02-03-2012, 08:34 PM
I have a Sears clone of the 94 and the locking bolt is a machined casting. The ears that fit in the lever link show marks of sand casting.

Bullet Caster
02-03-2012, 09:11 PM
I've got a later model 94 Winchester AE chambered in .45 LC. When I traded for the rifle I only got to shoot 1 shot before it broke. Remained broken for over 5 years so one day I got it out and gave it to a buddy to have his cousin look at it. Mine broke the little "tit" on the part that keeps the mag from dumping all the rounds into the action. When that part broke all the rounds ended up in the action. My friend's cousin tried to weld a little onto it so it could be filed down. Soon found out that this item is made of pot metal. Cannot be welded. New potmetal piece was $26, some change and shipping. When did Winchester start turning out ****? I just wish I could have had that piece made out of steel. I doubt that it would ever break again, esp. at just that right moment. BC

Shiloh
02-03-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm disappointed to hear that. So the block is some sort of cast alloy? Not even steel??

SHiloh

Boerrancher
02-04-2012, 11:07 AM
I hate to say this but the newer the 94 the bigger *** it is. The bean counters at Olin insisted that the gun be made as inexpensively as possible. So, by the time they got to the angle eject model, they were casting everything out of pot metal, knocking the rough off the places you could easily see, and hoping the rest would smooth up with age. Also on many of the post 64 Mod 94's you never knew what the bore dia was going to be. I have one made in the late 60's early 70's and the grove dia is 310, with the lands being 308. Yep, that is right, many of the factory 30-30 j bullets will drop right through the thing. Why do you think they went under? By the Mid 1990's they were producing pure crapola.

Best wishes,

Joe

runfiverun
02-04-2012, 12:51 PM
my favorite part about the later ones is when they don't want to fire a primer.