PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give me a quick measurement from a Lube a matic?

boltons75
02-03-2012, 04:43 PM
I am in the process of making a heater for the lube a matic I will be receiving next week. Can someone give me a quick measurement of the base so I know what size chunk of aluminum to pick up for it. Really just need to find out how wide of a chunk I need.

fryboy
02-03-2012, 05:01 PM
lube a matic = LAM I ? ( as opposed to a LAM II or other company's sizer ? )
it isnt the true square represented below as it's sort of egg shaped
deep 4" (with an additional 1 3/4 that hangs out over the bench )
wide 3"

crappie-hunter
02-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I have mine mounted on a piece ,8"X3 1/4"X 3/8thick. I just took an old can light with a 100watt bulb and sit it on the piece that extends to the rear of the sizer and wait several min. for the heat to migrate to the sizer, maybe 10min. it will eventually get too hot, and have to be removed.

boltons75
02-03-2012, 05:14 PM
lube a matic = LAM I ? ( as opposed to a LAM II or other company's sizer ? )
it isnt the true square represented below as it's sort of egg shaped
deep 4" (with an additional 1 3/4 that hangs out over the bench )
wide 3"
Sorry LAMII

boltons75
02-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I have mine mounted on a piece ,8"X3 1/4"X 3/8thick. I just took an old can light with a 100watt bulb and sit it on the piece that extends to the rear of the sizer and wait several min. for the heat to migrate to the sizer, maybe 10min. it will eventually get too hot, and have to be removed.

I went to a thrift store and got a couple of sources, an old sandwich maker with two heating elements in it and with a thermostat thing built in, and a coffe cup/ candle warmer, both with suitable elements. I also have an engine block heater plug type that I may use. So should a 3" wide piece of stock be wide enough? Or should I go with a 4"?

lcclower
02-04-2012, 01:47 AM
I have a 6" wide, 12" long piece of 3/8 plate. I would go with 5" wide and 1" thick. Think thermal mass. A longer piece will stiffen your bench top considerably.

If you can score a straight heater element you can drill into the face of the aluminum and locate the heater right under your sizer.

Today I mounted a sandwich toaster heating element on the under side of plate. It got way too hot in a hurry so next up is a rheostat - Hunter fan control.

My sizer is loaded with Rooster red carnuba right now. At first the lube dripped like a Christmas candle. Unplugged the heater and continued to use the sizer and took the external temp of the sizer with a laser thermo. At 125 degrees the Rooster lube flowed just right.

montana_charlie
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
boltons75,
I am sorry to say that I do not have a LAM-II. If I did, I would certainly tell you the measurement of the bolt pattern for mounting it.

I assume there are others out there, perhaps many others, who DO have LAM-II's, but for some reason people insist on telling you how THEY heat their lube ... rather than answer your question.

It's probably your own fault, though. You provided way too much information.
It would be better to simply ask for the bolt pattern measurement ... and not say why you want to know.

Of course, then you might get eight sets of instructions for building the bench to mount it on ...

C.F.Plinker
02-04-2012, 04:37 PM
The bases for both the LAM 2 and my 450 are both egg shaped. They are 3" wide at the widest part. The LAM 2 extends 3 3/4 inches onto the bench and the 450 extends 4" onto the bench. The same bolt pattern works for both. I have 3/8 diameter holes that are 2 1/8 inches center to center and are set back 2" from the front of the bench. I just use bolts with wing nuts to attach the one I am using to the bench.