PDA

View Full Version : Spelling-How Important

alamogunr
02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm sure many will disagree with this but I'm having to change my thinking on the importance of correct spelling. To start with it is a losing battle and the following has convinced me that no harm is done by misspelling a word. I do think correct spelling is important in business correspondence and official documents. But here on this forum, I'm going to be more tolerant.

I received this in an email from a friend. He is probably as anal as I am about spelling.

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on!!

44man
02-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Some of us are so old, we forgot.
Much is spelled wrong like the wooden spruce plate on a mold.
Nothing of importance because we know what a fella means.

starmac
02-03-2012, 05:18 PM
It is kind of amazing that a guy can read that without even having to slow down. lol

OBIII
02-03-2012, 05:21 PM
The only reason that most people can read that is because most people can spell well when they want to. Give that paragraph to a person who actually cannot spell well, and if they can figure it out it will take them a lot longer than the average person.

Dannix
02-03-2012, 05:26 PM
I don't know about spelling, but grammar...

http://goingviraltv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/lets-eat-grandma.jpg

abunaitoo
02-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Must be talking about me.
I'm the worse speller I know.
Sorry, but I'm just not good at it.

starmac
02-03-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm far from the worst I know, but far from good at it also. lol

Ickisrulz
02-03-2012, 05:48 PM
We all make mistakes. It's the people that intentionally write in a manner that makes it difficult to read that bother me. You know, the guys who write in all caps or all lower case or no punctuation. I normally don’t even bother trying to decipher what they’re trying to get across. And the funny things is people have told them about this and they don’t care.

Longwood
02-03-2012, 06:06 PM
It is kind of amazing that a guy can read that without even having to slow down. lol

If I slow down, it is impossible to read.

The stupid stuff the teens use now is not only nearly impossible to read, it is a sign of just how lazy they are.

I WOULD like to see a list on this site with the meaning of all the goofy made-up words, names and acronymns that some people seem to love to confuse us with.
One would think they must think these things run out of ink or something.

I see where some think it is cute and fun to use made-up words like beagling or lementing but if the new people have no idea what the words mean, why confuse them by using nonsensical words.

I hope it never comes to a point in time that I can't take the time to write out two or three words so people can understand what I am saying.

I find many posts here imposible to understand because some people insist on useing acronyms. I have had to scroll through so much stuff sometime just so I can figure out what it is he is attempting to say.
I have been on this site quite a while and do believe It is absolutely impossible to remember every one of them that people can make up.

I have heard the "Iam using my cell phone" excuse.
If they can pay the rediculous fees they pay for the phone,,,,,,,,

bowfin
02-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I will tell you, spelling still makes a BIG difference.

I have bought a lot of "shrade" knives off of ebay dirt cheap because I wasn't bidding against hundreds of people who typed in the correct spelling of "Schrade"

My son also got an "Ithica" shotgun for $200 less than comparable "Ithacas" were bringing on Gunbroker. I also picked up a cheap "Tangfoblio" pistol for $175.:-P

Ickisrulz
02-03-2012, 06:18 PM
I WOULD like to see a list on this site with the meaning of all the goofy made-up words, names and acronymns that some people seem to love to confuse us with.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=107406&highlight=abbreviations

Longwood
02-03-2012, 06:19 PM

I have bought a lot of "shrade" knives off of ebay dirt cheap because I wasn't bidding against hundreds of people who typed in the correct spelling of "Schrade"

My son also got an "Ithica" shotgun for $200 less than comparable "Ithacas" were bringing on Gunbroker. I also picked up a cheap "Tangfoblio" pistol for $175.:-P

I know lots of tricks for ebay but THIS is the last place I would share them.
I am up to 150 itms purchased on ebay and just bid on #151.
If people like you keep telling my secrets, I won't get as many really good deals.
The best deal I got so far, was on a Gun Guard hard case that was like new for $31 shipped that someone in South Carolina listed poorly. It cost $25 to ship it.
I can see why some people are :veryconfu and have bad things to say about such a great place to buy stuff.

Dale in Louisiana
02-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Capitalization is very imprtant, too:

"help your uncle jack off a horse."
"Help your Uncle Jack off a horse."

dale in Louisiana

mtnman31
02-03-2012, 06:36 PM

I hear that, I got a Swiss Vetterli rifle once for a good price on GunBroker because they incorrectly spelled the name in the listing. I also got a premium set of motorcycle racing leathers for next to nothing on eBay because of how poorly they were listed. I got lucky and just happened to stumble across them while looking for something unrelated.

Spelling is important but not critical (usually). It doesn't bother me so much when someone makes the occasional spelling or grammar error. I realize that not everyone has the same level of education or life experiences as others. Also, some people just aren't good at grammar/spelling in the same way I struggle with math.

It does bother me when people are too lazy to make an attempt to try and spell well or use proper grammar. Like others mentioned, when the spelling or grammar are so bad that it makes it a challenge to read or understand, I just skip or ignore the posts.

Longwood
02-03-2012, 06:37 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=107406&highlight=abbreviations

Thanks for the link.

But since I am a Bull Headed Old Geezer, I will do like I do a lot now and ignore the post when people are so lazy or simply enjoy writing in jibberish.
I also promise to continue to spell out the words so as not to confuse or irritate people because it is so difficult to make out what it is I am writing.

Punctuation, is another story. I wasn't good at that when I was in school back in the olden days and I am worse at it now.

Ickisrulz
02-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Spelling is important but not critical (usually). It doesn't bother me so much when someone makes the occasional spelling or grammar error. I realize that not everyone has the same level of education or life experiences as others.

It's too bad someone cannot design a computer program to help with grammar and spelling.:sad:

Longwood
02-03-2012, 06:39 PM
capitalization is very imprtant, too:

dale in louisiana

yeahahahaha!

Bullet Caster
02-03-2012, 06:49 PM
IMHO, acronyms are just a current "fad" or trend in language patterns that seem to point to our necessity of time. If we all agree that IMHO means "in my humble opinion" then we can and do devote our time on things that are more self-satisfying than taking the time to spell out each and every word. Just look where these things of necessity came from. Our kids. In order to keep a handle on the kids we had to enter into their world.

We've found an abundance of adaptable idiosyncrasies from our children's language that now have meaning for us (as in "our" generation) also. I feel certain that this is a description of our world today--despite the "need for speed." We did this to know what our kids were telling us and now have adopted it into our personal niche. And sometimes spelling errs to our side. Nicely done. BC

alamogunr
02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
It's too bad someone cannot design a computer program to help with grammar and spelling.:sad:

When typing a response, misspelled words are underlined with a red squiggly line. Right click on it (sometimes have to do it twice) to get suggested correct spellings.

I didn't mean to leave the impression that I thought it was unimportant to spell and punctuate correctly. I just won't let it get to me in the future.

wv109323
02-03-2012, 06:54 PM
I beleive that it was "Stonewall" Jackson that said
" Only a narrow minded person thinks there is one way to spell a word"

Longwood
02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
IMHO, acronyms are just a current "fad" or trend in language patterns that seem to point to our necessity of time. If we all agree that IMHO means "in my humble opinion" then we can and do devote our time on things that are more self-satisfying than taking the time to spell out each and every word. Just look where these things of necessity came from. Our kids. In order to keep a handle on the kids we had to enter into their world.

We've found an abundance of adaptable idiosyncrasies from our children's language that now have meaning for us (as in "our" generation) also. I feel certain that this is a description of our world today--despite the "need for speed." We did this to know what our kids were telling us and now have adopted it into our personal niche. And sometimes spelling errs to our side. Nicely done. BC

IMFO
It is even stupider to use them if we are learning it from a bunch of lazy and ignorant children.
We are supposed to educate THEM, not pick up stupid nonsence from them.

Sonnypie
02-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Don't tell that to post 8.
His ears will klap together. [smilie=1:

kin so, kan not, kin so, kan not, kin so....
I love to play wif words, dirves poepelz who thunk theyz smert to sho dayz iznt. [smilie=w:

Longwood
02-03-2012, 07:20 PM

That is correct.
However, the word then means something entirely different or nothing at all.

Sonnypie
02-03-2012, 07:31 PM
IMFO
It is even stupider to use them if we are learning it from a bunch of lazy and ignorant children.
We are supposed to educate THEM, not pick up stupid nonsence from them.

Well, don't look now, but they began in Government communications as a sort of shorthand. Then ran over into the Internet just before your buddy Al Gore invented it.
How quickly we forget FBI, ATF, SS, GIS, CIA....and well you see now.

Kids pick things up, they don't often "invent" them.

Makes me wonder who is stupider, lazy and igorranter...:shock:

Ickisrulz
02-03-2012, 08:12 PM
When typing a response, misspelled words are underlined with a red squiggly line. Right click on it (sometimes have to do it twice) to get suggested correct spellings.

I didn't mean to leave the impression that I thought it was unimportant to spell and punctuate correctly. I just won't let it get to me in the future.

I was being funny. I spent a large portion of my career trying to get young people to proof read and use spell check when writing reports. I asked many people over and over again if they knew what the red underline meant when using Word for Windows.

Poor spelling and grammar aren't the end of the world. But they make a bad impression on the reader (at least this reader). Failure to use spell check programs now means the writer is not only a poor writer, but is also lazy.

Bullet Caster
02-03-2012, 08:36 PM
I wuz jzt givin my humble opinion. Plz tk no ofence. Az a writer I lik to use colloquialisms to & I lik to cal it spekin in the vernackular. Kan be helpful when writin' dialogue. BC

Longwood
02-03-2012, 09:31 PM
I was being funny. I spent a large portion of my career trying to get young people to proof read and use spell check when writing reports. I asked many people over and over again if they knew what the red underline meant when using Word for Windows.

Poor spelling and grammar aren't the end of the world. But they make a bad impression on the reader (at least this reader). Failure to use spell check programs now means the writer is not only a poor writer, but is also lazy.

When I use Mozilla, Spell Check works.
If I use the icon on my desktop, Micro**** opens it with Internet Explorer which does not know how to spell on my computer.
That reminds me, I need go to the control panel and get that garbage off of my system.
Again. I am not even sure how it got back on it.

Finster101
02-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Sometimes it is just a typo. I know it's wrong, but just don't go back and correct it if I want to get a response out quickly. Acronyms? You have a problem with acronyms? Ever spend any time in the military? The spell check software on the forum site works quite well. Just because a guy can't spell it does not mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. Maybe he spent a little more time doing and less time in a classroom. End of rant.

James

alamogunr
02-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Many of the terms we use on this forum are not in the dictionary. Using the right click, there is an option to add the word to the dictionary. Assumes you spelled it right or will use incorrect spelling every time. I rarely use a word any more that is not in the dictionary.

Now, just to show my ignorance, is the dictionary here on the forum or somewhere else on the computer? Is it separate from the spell check dictionary in Word(my copy is 2003)?

Ickisrulz
02-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Just because a guy can't spell it does not mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. Maybe he spent a little more time doing and less time in a classroom. James

I suppose. But, reading, writing and basic grammar are taught in elementary school. I don’t know what 6 to 12 year-olds could have going on that would prevent them from mastering the basics.

bowfin
02-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Acronyms? You have a problem with acronyms?

I have a BIG problem with acronyms. Try reading a textbook on network security sometimes. It becomes as if one is learning a foreign language, not unlike the Cockney underclass speaking in idioms so as the cops and "normal" people can't understand them. Network security analysts are definitely not normal when it comes to communicating about their trade. They seem to take delight in being cryptic. The only way to get them to straighten up is to tell them, "Okay, but I think I need to go with someone who will break this down for me in English. They tend to drop back into the mother tongue once they think they will be sidelined.

As for the miltary, an M1 could mean a Garand, a .30 carbine, a Thompson submachine gun, or an Abrams Tank. Not exactly acronyms, but the reason the Army gave out alphanumeric designations was to avoid confusion in the first place.

gandydancer
02-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Capitalization is very imprtant, too:

"Help your Uncle Jack off a horse."

dale in Louisiana
you drunk old coot get off your self. I have to go throw the cow over the fence.. some hay.

Longwood
02-03-2012, 11:41 PM
I suppose. But, reading, writing and basic grammar are taught in elementary school. I don’t know what 6 to 12 year-olds could have going on that would prevent them from mastering the basics.

Finster is right.
I graduated high school.
My favorite subjects were literature and Journalism and did OK with spelling and punctuation.
After 50 odd years of working for a living, all that stuff got rather vague.

Ickisrulz
02-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Finster is right.
I graduated high school.
My favorite subjects were literature and Journalism and did OK with spelling and punctuation.
After 50 odd years of working for a living, all that stuff got rather vague.

Based on your posts, I would say you have a handle on using the English language and the ability to proof read what you have written. I’m not suggesting everyone be able to write sonnets.

I don’t know what you mean by “working for a living.” Do you mean some type of manual labor? Are there modern professions that don’t require communication skills? I doubt I’d take the chance of hiring someone to perform a job for me that gave me a written quote or contract riddled with errors.

starmac
02-04-2012, 03:51 AM
I know at least two successful businessmen that can't read or right. they can sign their name but that is about it. One of them speaks three languages, and mentioned he would have liked to have known how far he could have went in life, if he would have had an education.

blackthorn
02-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote "I wuz jzt givin my humble opinion. Plz tk no ofence. Az a writer I lik to use colloquialisms to & I lik to cal it spekin in the vernackular. Kan be helpful when writin' dialogue. BC"

And then there are some that write like they do thier drinking in the library!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-04-2012, 01:09 PM
veering off the subject slightly:
I thought this was kind of interesting.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/01/30/outsource_your_kid?page=0%2C0

in the middle of this article it is stated,
"a 2006 assessment of adult literacy which found that fewer than a third of four-year U.S. college graduates were fully capable of tasks like comparing viewpoints in two editorials; interpreting a table about blood pressure, age, and physical activity; or computing and comparing the cost per ounce of food items."

I would guess 60+ years ago, most kids who quit school at age 16 to help the folks run the farm could have been capable of the tasks mentioned that 2/3+ of todays College grads couldn't.

Education sure isn't what it use to be...I'd say spelling is only a minor problem.

fryboy
02-04-2012, 01:26 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Grammar%20Nazi
"
1. Grammar Nazi 1468 up, 209 down
Someone who believes it's their duty to attempt to correct any grammar and/or spelling mistakes they observe. Usually found hanging around Irc chatrooms hounding "n00bs".
Well at least you can spell dyslexic correctly.
buy grammar nazi mugs & shirts
by Sorrow Jun 12, 2003 share this add a video
2. Grammar Nazi 961 up, 162 down
To the previous poster. It is spelled grammar, not grammer.
I know, I'm a grammar nazi
buy grammar nazi mugs & shirts
nazi communist facist spelling ***** marc
by Grammar-Nazi Nov 18, 2005 share this add a video
3. Grammar Nazi 885 up, 122 down
noun (pl. -s)
1. A person who uses proper grammar at all times, esp. online in emails, chatrooms, instant messages and webboard posts; a proponent of grammatical correctness. Often one who spells correctly as well.

2. a – A person who believes proper grammar (and spelling) should be used by everyone whenever possible. b – One who attempts to persuade or force others to use proper grammar and spelling. c – One who uses proper grammar and spelling to subtly mock or deride those who do not; an exhibitor of grammatical superiority. d – One who advocates linguistic clarity; an opponent of 1337-speak. e – One who corrects others' grammar; the spelling police.

proper noun
3. A nickname, pseudonym or handle for a well-known grammar nazi (defs. 1 and 2) within a particular social circle, used to show either great respect or great contempt for his or her abilities.

verb (transitive)
4. To correct the grammar of (a person's speech, a piece of writing, etc.); to edit for grammar and spelling; to proofread.
1. A grammar nazi knows the difference between "there," "their" and "they're."

2. Teh grammar nazis haev invadd r formu.

3. Grammar Nazi, help me with my English homework please.

4. He totally grammar nazied my article, replacing pronouns and rewriting clauses."

lolz

"Also, the internet is home to the sarcastic anonymous comment. That's just people being jerks because there's no real threat of being punched in the face for being a douchenozzle."
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100304210954AAqBmPJ

personally it doesnt bother me ( some typo's can be funny as ... however ) usually the last grasp at a lack of an argument is proper spelling and punctuation , while in some cases it can be important in many cases it's not ( as the OP clearly showed ) it is a pretty good indication however of how anal retentive a person is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentiveness
so in fair play
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal-expulsive

most of us i'd like to believe have met or are in a happy state somewhere in the middle ( mostly )

mold maker
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Much to do about mostly nothing.
If you don't want to hear what, 70 years of experience has taught me, ignore me. Just don't be rude enough to have to tell me about it. You can take it to the bank, I couldn't care less.

buckhorn66
02-04-2012, 01:58 PM
i cant believe someone could be soooo technical about grammer spelling puncituation strange words unbelieable names of things naqcronims and such and use the names they do for themselves ickisrulz, waksupi, abunaito ( he does admit he cant spell, good man) and put them all on a site called CAST BOOLITS ALL HALE TO US SLACKERS NEVER SHOW YOUR TRUE INTELLIGENCE YOU MAY BE EXPECTED TO DO MORE remember in the end God forgives all

montana_charlie
02-04-2012, 02:32 PM
i cant believe someone could be soooo technical about grammer spelling puncituation
It's pretty obvious that you skipped those subjects, so it isn't surprising that you can't believe.

strange words unbelieable names of things naqcronims and such and use the names they do for themselves ickisrulz, waksupi, abunaito ( he does admit he cant spell, good man) and put them all on a site called CAST BOOLITS

Welcome to the forum, mister one post. It's a shame you started out by insulting a selection of long-established members by name, and the general membership by association.

CM

Recluse
02-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Sometimes it is just a typo. I know it's wrong, but just don't go back and correct it if I want to get a response out quickly. Acronyms? You have a problem with acronyms? Ever spend any time in the military? The spell check software on the forum site works quite well. Just because a guy can't spell it does not mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. Maybe he spent a little more time doing and less time in a classroom. End of rant.

James

Pretty much agree.

Proper spelling can often indicated a person's formal education; the content of what they're saying often indicates their real world education.

I see a difference between misspellings and bad grammar due to just sheer laziness or a slob-like mentality, versus someone struggling to communicate their thoughts via a small keyboard and glaring computer screen.

The latter I can abide by and respect, while the former is often ignored.

At the end of the day, it still boils down to the content and quality of the message rather than how pretty it looks and reads.

:coffee:

Longwood
02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Much to do about mostly nothing.
If you don't want to hear what, 70 years of experience has taught me, ignore me. Just don't be rude enough to have to tell me about it. You can take it to the bank, I couldn't care less.

We are all here to learn and we thank our lucky stars that there are people like yourself that are willing to share their knowledge.
I remember buying every gun magazine that came out each month to try and learn as much info as I can learn here in about an hour. I recall asking a question that took three months to get an answer too. I had already figured out a better method myself and moved on.
Believe me guy, we really do appreciate the people that are willing to share.
Personally, I don't see many problems with spelling and punctuation as much as I do with people that seem to think everyone should know all of the acronymns, enitials, and made up words which mean absolutely nothing to the new people and many of us that have been here for a while.
I try to make my posts as legible and easily understood as posible and do not understand why some make their conversation so difficult to read and understand.

Ickisrulz
02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I stated that some honest mistakes could be easily overlooked. Those that intentionally write in an incoherent manner, ignoring any semblance of Standard English are another thing.

I will not agree that ignorance is a badge of honor though. I’m sure some people can overcome a lack of education, but they are certainly the exception to the rule. Additionally, if I were a successful businessman who was illiterate, I’d get some education. If my son told me he didn’t have to learn to read and write because he was going to “work for a living”, I think we’d have to work on his attitude.

We have some very good posters on this site and the vast majority of them write their posts just fine in my opinion.

Stick_man
02-04-2012, 05:16 PM
The main reason I misspell words is that my fingers sometimes don't like to do what they are told. Other times, it is simply because I cannot find the WhiteOut. :)

I admit that I am far from perfect in my writing skills. Sometimes I am in a rush and don't take the time to go back and correct or proofread what I write. Sometimes I just get lazy and don't care about it.

And, not to make light of a touchy subject, but I also try to use 100% recycled electrons whenever possible when posting something in the forums. Using acronyms usually helps save some for later usage.

waksupi
02-04-2012, 05:16 PM
If you want to see "adventurous" spelling, just drop into chat while I am there. I can type at least 40 mistakes per minute.

waksupi
02-04-2012, 05:32 PM
i cant believe someone could be soooo technical about grammer spelling puncituation strange words unbelieable names of things naqcronims and such and use the names they do for themselves ickisrulz, waksupi, abunaito ( he does admit he cant spell, good man) and put them all on a site called CAST BOOLITS ALL HALE TO US SLACKERS NEVER SHOW YOUR TRUE INTELLIGENCE YOU MAY BE EXPECTED TO DO MORE remember in the end God forgives all

My name is Lakota. Got a problem with that?

Longwood
02-04-2012, 05:42 PM
I can see how the old timers here know what their long time pals are talking about but when the new guys are reading and trying to learn, is when using too many short cuts, makes it a bit muddy.
I have had to dig way back into some threads to see what all of the acronymns etc meant.

It is pretty obvious the "Wise" old dudes want to "Learn us dumbies", or they would not be here.

firefly1957
02-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Spelling is important I know my spelling is so bad that I can crash spell check! and it is even more important on a computer as said above if no one knows what you post they do not know what to look for (EBAY ITEMS)

geargnasher
02-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Heck, I'm just happy these days when someone actually uses a freakin' QUESTION MARK properly at the end of a sentence.

I'm still trying to get people to use the important term "obturate" to mean the correct thing.

Gear

BOOM BOOM
02-05-2012, 01:07 AM
HI,
As a school teacher for the last 20 yrs. I was amazed at how bad spelling is in the 7th to 12 grades.
By 4th grade many students have figured out the system will pass them no matter what. That they do not have to do much if any, work at all. By 8th grade some have learned they can have strait F's in all subjects, from all teachers . Only to be passed to 9th grade. I have seen it many times.
Presently we are teaching irresponsibility.
I have seen administrators in a meeting with parents ,who were asking for their child to be held back be told that it was against district policy & no child is held back ever. Almost all the administrators I have worked for have told me to dummy down the math & science classes I teach,at one time or another.
This is wrong, but will not change until the kids are held accountable for their grades, and can be held back.
But the majority of parents currently would not support that.:Fire::Fire:

alamogunr
02-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Heck, I'm just happy these days when someone actually uses a freakin' QUESTION MARK properly at the end of a sentence.

I'm still trying to get people to use the important term "obturate" to mean the correct thing.

Gear

Quite often I have to go back and type in a ? mark. It is almost automatic to type a period.

oneokie
02-05-2012, 01:17 AM
I have seen administrators in a meeting with parents ,who were asking for their child to be held back be told that it was against district policy & no child is held back ever. Almost all the administrators I have worked for have told me to dummy down the math & science classes I teach,at one time or another.

That is one thing that can be placed squarely on Bush II and his "No Child Left Behind" policy.

firefly1957
02-05-2012, 08:07 AM
I do not believe it is the "no child left behind act" that caused the trouble it was the way it was implemented by a system that is not responsible for their lack of productivity. The only business I can think of that is worse at its job and maybe as political is our public schools is weather forecasting!

BOOM BOOM
02-05-2012, 10:31 PM
HI,
It actually goes back to the 1960's, as I started teaching in 1974 & it was already a problem that only got worse.
There was a MD. or PHD. named Spock (not Star Trek) who put for the theory that self-esteem was all important, & student should never be failed or held back in school.
Total ****.:Fire::Fire:

Ickisrulz
02-05-2012, 10:37 PM
HI,
It actually goes back to the 1960's, as I started teaching in 1974 & it was already a problem that only got worse.
There was a MD. or PHD. named Spock (not Star Trek) who put for the theory that self-esteem was all important, & student should never be failed or held back in school.
Total ****.:Fire::Fire:

I'd bet if we really tried we could have self-esteem and good students. Why does the pendulum have to swing was drastically?

ErikO
02-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Someday I'll reprogram my keyboard to swap the 'h' and 'e' keys. That alone will save me a lot of re-typing 'teh'. ;)

KYCaster
02-06-2012, 06:35 PM

Gear

I agree completely.

Words mean things.......so do punctuation and sentence structure. As other posters have pointed out, improper punctuation can have a profound effect on the meaning of a sentence; even more than improper spelling.

I have no problem with poor spelling as long as the result doesn't change the overall meaning of the sentence or confuse the issue being discussed.

Some common spelling mistakes I find particularly annoying are....... to, too........... then, than......... here, hear......... there, their, they're. Usually it's not too difficult to figure out the meaning from the way the word is used, but sometimes the meaning escapes me even after rereading several times. I realize that very few people here give a big red rat's patootie whether or not I approve of their spelling, and it's not an issue that's going to cause me to lose any sleep. Just another of life's little annoyances we all have to deal with.

Jerry

P.S. My boolits obturate and don't lead to lead in the barrel, but they're often obdurate and fail to group well.

375RUGER
02-08-2012, 12:07 AM
this stupid keybrd misspells words all the time and uses uncorrct grammar too

thx997303
02-08-2012, 12:36 AM
My keyoard is missing the b key, which causes issues.

rockrat
02-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Spelling is important to me, because having my own business for 30+ years, I need to be clear and concise in my communications, with other companies.

On the boards, I admit to slacking a bit. Sometimes it is just a "finger misfire"

Stick_man
02-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Some days I am just happy I CAN spell, correctly or otherwise. Most days I am happy to be able to read as well. Of course, if I couldn't spell or read, I'd have to rely on a lot of picture books which wouldn't be too bad depending on the subject.