PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Large hammer in hand!

danski26
03-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Ok i picked up a lyman 450 for my sizing needs. How do i get the lube resivior "sp?" taken apart to clean out the nasty gunk inside so i can put clean gunk into it?

I have a 5lb hammer in hand and am going to start beating soon!

danski26
03-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Disregard.....5lb hammer worked! Just a bit worried that i was breaking something.

dragonrider
03-13-2007, 03:51 PM
You clean them out with heat!!!!!!!! a hair dryer works wonders. Clamp it to your bench put some newspaper on the floor or waxed paper if you want to keep the lube and turn on the hair dryer, it will melt out in no time.

danski26
03-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Figured that out quick. It was just how to get the shaft out of the press. Was not sure if it was supposed to come out the botttom. Propane torch made quick work of left over lube.

Now i need to find a handle since it does not have one.

hiram
03-13-2007, 06:01 PM
I held mine upside down over newspaper and used a propane torch on low heat/flame. Not only did the main resevoir get cleaned, but the chamber where the lube goes from resevoir to die got cleaned.

danski26
03-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Ordered a handle for it right from lyman. $4......can't hardly buy the steel to make one for that price.

bishopgrandpa
03-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Put a heat lamp on it. Cleans quick and thorough.

nighthunter
03-14-2007, 01:17 PM
sometimes a 5lb hammer is needed but the proper operating instructions need to be included in the little label on the handle. An example:
I work building the machines that make glass bottles. We serve an apprenticeship for 4 years and then continue to learn from that point after becomeing a journeymen. An apprentice that came into the shop a few years after I did liked to use a hammer on everything. O.K. ... Hammer Mechanic ... most of you guys have had to have met one before. One day this guy was takeing a mechanism apart and everyone in the shop could hear " BANG BANG BANG .... THUMP. We all knew what had happened but no one said a word. He had smashed his thumb.
The operating instructions need to include the words "Keep other hand away from strikeing area" and "not for use by children under the age of 65".
It didn't help ...... He is still a "Hammer Mechanic".
Nighthunter

bruce drake
03-14-2007, 02:12 PM
First thing would be to loosen the hexnut holding the die in place and then I've found that a 9/16th nut placed underneath the sizing die on the plunger and then raise the arm high and the plunger with the added height of the nut will raise the sizing die out of the well enough for you to pluck it out.

No hammers needed.

Bruce

Dale53
03-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I no longer have a Lyman sizer (now, just the Star and an RCBS) but I remember that if I removed the threaded ring around the die, the Lyman wrench for that nut, turned sideways, under the plunger gave just enough support that as you raised the operating handle, the die just levered out of the machine (and you already had the die wrench in your hand).

Dale53

Swagerman
03-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Was he talking about removing the threaded rod in the lube resorvoir???

Since when did that have to come out.

Hammers are not needed with that equipment, just use a heat gun, or hair dryer with heat gun.

Use it on the stuck lube die as well as the base of the reservoir holding the die. Everything will loosen up with heat.

Swag

PineTreeGreen
04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I use a bucket of hot water. Take all the odd parts off and submerge.

Nardoo
04-15-2007, 07:19 AM
danski,

A 5lb hammer is on the light side. If you can find a 16lb sledge the job will be finished so much sooner. Who needs hair driers when you have have hairy arms?

Nardoo