PDA

View Full Version : Another 310 die question

jschluter
02-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Retired, found a little time and a range so I want to start shooting a Sharps 45-70. I found a cigar box of 310 dies and have identified most from info in the threads on this site. But what is a double adjustable chamber die and how/when is it used? It's marked "89", 2 1/2" long and has a 3-step bore (0.515"/0.482"/0.463").

Why are some of the dies unmarked (no stamped number)?

What lengths were the 310 expander chamber bodies? There seemed to be 3 different lengths available.

scrapcan
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
the double adjustable seating die is for crimping. you can adjust for not crimp or crimp.

the 89 will give the numerical code. 89 should be for the 45-70 and 45-90.

Some dies are unmarked because they are used for many cartridges. For instance you might see short, medium, and long de priming chambers that are not marked. Also the expander die bodies will have different length but no code stamping.

And you might see another makers dies, cc johnson/redhead, that look like 310 dies but will have different numbering or no numbers at all. There are ways to tell them apart though. The decap stem/pin on the redhead dies are different and the lock rings are thicker/bigger and of only one style.

Bardo
02-03-2012, 03:43 PM
You may want to post this question in this Forum "Casting and Reloading Hand Tools" it just up one from "Reloading Equipment"

Also check this out http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lyman310/310Refs.html

Bardo

Le Loup Solitaire
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
The double adjustable designation by Lyman meant that the seating of the bullet could be adjusted in depth and that the amount of crimp ranging from none to whatever was needed could also be made at the same time. LLS

jschluter
02-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll move this post to the other Forum "Casting and Reloading Hand Tools".