PDA

View Full Version : Corbin MFG .25 ACP Jacket Maker Kit

gbrown
02-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Anybody interested in something like this? I have one, I got in with some other things. I have no use or idea of how to use this. Apparently, these were used to make jackets from spent shotgun primers. I think old primers were of copper?? I contacted Richard Corbin of RCE, LLC and he told me it was not his, but one of Corbin MFG, Phoenix, Oregon.
His email indicated the following:

"This was used to convert shotshell battery cups into .25 caliber bullet jackets. Mostly these are for making 25ACP bullet jackets but could be used to make other short, light weight bullet jackets or half-jacketed .25 caliber bullet jackets. The battery cup is knocked out of the fired shotshell using the punch that has the turned down end. The shotshell is placed on the round steel base with the large counterbored end up and a plastic or non-steel mallet is used to knock the battery cup out and into the base. Then the battery cup is removed from the base and the process is repeated until a supply of fired battery cups are ready.
After that the base is turned over and the battery cup is placed in the shallow counterbore on the other end of the base and the punch with the small spring wire pin is used to knock out the fired primer and anvil. After a few battery cups have the primer & anvil knocked out the base is emptied. This is repeated until all of the battery cups have been done.
The battery cup is then pushed through the draw die using the long draw punch, flash hole end into the die first, to straighten the flange on the cup and size the cup. After that the battery cup, now a bullet jacket, has the lead core seated in it and made into a bullet. A three die bullet swage set is required to make the cups/jackets into bullets."

I believe it is all here, it appears to be unopened. There is supposed to be 6 parts to it, and the plastic bags-wraps? appear to be intact. Bottom line is I have no use for this and maybe one of you lead mashers might want it.

0verkill
02-03-2012, 04:40 AM
I just bought one off a member here a few weeks back. The problem nowadays seems finding shotgun battery cups made of copper, the ones that look copper are copper washed steel. A lot of others feel it's a lot of time wasted for something that isn't very fun to shoot.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=138196

If nobody else shows any interest in them before my next payday (the 13th) I might be interested in buying them. I could use the spares, I'm always breaking swaging stuff ( I broke my 357 swage die today).

gbrown
02-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I was told or read somewhere that the Europeans have been using steel jackets forever. I don't know enough about that to vouch for its truth or not. I also don't know the quality (hardness) of primer steel. Again, I know of bullet swaging and the process, but as far as the details, intracacies, etc. don't know anything.

Reload3006
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes Europeans are using steel jacketed ammo. But that doesn't make it an ideal medium for the home bullet maker. I would be interested in the jacket dies you have if I had a 25acp But I dont. I have a lot of old copper cupped primers. you probably could make jackets out of the Winchester 209s as they are aluminum. Dont know how well they would do as I would be afraid of aluminum fouling in my bore (not saying that it would happen just that I am worried about it as I have machined aluminum most of my working career and know how it loads up) I would sure buy those from you if i had a possible use for them.

gbrown
02-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I can't add anything to that, I'm so far out of my league here, I'm not sure what the game is. Like I've said, I know as much about bullet swaging as some people in Washington appear to know about the Constitution.

0verkill
02-04-2012, 11:04 AM
I can't add anything to that, I'm so far out of my league here, I'm not sure what the game is. Like I've said, I know as much about bullet swaging as some people in Washington appear to know about the Constitution.

That ain't much then!

I'm wondering about how the aluminum or steel would be on my dies? Aluminum oxidizes almost immediately and aluminum oxode is sandpaper. The hardness of the steel could be an issue. Not worried about the pistol too much, got about 4 times as much money in the dies!
I think I'll start picking up 17 HMR cases. There's a thread where they were being used to swage .257 bullets, .251 is even smaller so should be easier. Finding the proper trim length should be the only problem, and that's not much of a problem.

MIBULLETS
02-04-2012, 02:37 PM
The cups do have a copper wash/plating on them, might be enough to get down the barrel. I would think that the alluminum or steel could be formed in the dies but it may take alot more force. I would try it, use lots of lube just in case.

Sgt Petro
02-05-2012, 04:39 PM
What are you asking for the set?

gbrown
02-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Sorry, someone has already asked for it. If they do not come through, I will PM you.

Reload3006
02-05-2012, 08:57 PM
if you want to use the steel primers I would take a torch and heat them to cherry red or hotter and then let them cool slowly to completely anneal them.

gbrown
02-06-2012, 10:26 AM
That sounds like a good idea. I have a buddy that anneals his brass, just the lip of the case mouth. I'm familiar with the process and it seems like it would work. Thanks for the info.

Reload3006
02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
dont quench them like you would brass or you will have them harder than a prostitutes heart.