PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Loaded Years Ago

Hip's Ax
02-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Greetings, I started shooting BPCR Target in 2008. I shot a lot with my CPA 45-70 and 45-90 at both mid range and long range. 2008 and 2009 I practiced and shot rather often and kept my ammo loaded all the time. In late 2009 My bother died and my mother broke one hip and then the other. I have not shot the 45-70 since 2009 and I shot only one match last year with the 45-90.

I intend to shoot a decent amount this year and I just inventoried my loaded ammo. The 45-90's I shot last spring were loaded for over a year and there were zero issues, in fact I came in second in that match.

My brass is not resized, it is a slip fit.

The 45-70 ammo, the bullets are starting to turn white and the lube is clear (I use Emmert's modified, 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 5% lanolin and 5% jojoba oil) but is still there. The bullets take some effort to twist and remove.

The 45-90's are loaded in BACO stretched R-P brass and I can not move the bullets at all.

What should I expect? Nothing different? Bad accuracy? Dangerious pressures?

Thank You In Advance.

powderburnerr
02-02-2012, 11:10 PM
a lot of vertical because of the lube taking a set , If you just bump the bullets with the seater and break their adhesion they will shoot fine ,

Lead pot
02-02-2012, 11:16 PM
The only to find out is shoot it.

NickSS
02-03-2012, 07:09 AM
I have recently fired some ammo that I loaded about 15 years ago and had no issues. But that's not saying you might not. Actually I did have one issue and that was that I had a relatively large number of split necks compared to ammo that I load ans shoot within a month or so.

Hip's Ax
02-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Thank You for your advice Gentlemen, I have some soft jaw pliers and I'll see if I can give them all a twist and then shoot them. I can't just put them in the seating die as the compression and wads set the OAL and not my seating die. By the sounds of it I may get lucky and they might still shoot well, if not at least I can simply empty the brass and reload. I'll check the brass closely for cracked mouths after. Love this board!! :)

bigted
02-03-2012, 03:18 PM
good luck and would like to see the loaded ammo before they get shot and a report about what happened with these long loaded cartridges.

Hip's Ax
02-03-2012, 03:52 PM
good luck and would like to see the loaded ammo before they get shot and a report about what happened with these long loaded cartridges.

I'll do my best Ted, the ammo is fifty miles from me right now but I doubt I'll get them fired for some weeks yet. Indoor smallbore and air rifle is still active but the weather has been amazingly nice here in the north east (comparatively speaking) so I expect in the next few weeks I'll get out to the 600 yard range and see how they do. Amazing, last two years I was up to my chest in snow at this time, this year 2 little storms is all we had.

bigted
02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
LOL...wish we could say the same...been cold and colder here and now it warms up some and dumping another gob of snow on us. well didnt want to get too comfy without having to plow snow i guess. id snivel but i knew this was the case 15 years ago when we moved here from the mild northwest coastal area so i say...let er snow.

have fun with your old cartridges and i look forward to hearing how they did.