PDA

View Full Version : Remington Custom Shop Roller

DeTrevni
02-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Hey fellas! First post in what I hope to be many more! My search skills might be lacking, but I can't seem to find any information on the new No. 1 rolling blocks Remington has listed on their custom shop web page. What little info I did find suggested they were priced at a premium for "alright" quality. Call me masochist if you must, but I am still interested in the rifle, despite the red flags. Seems like a good "heritage" gun, made by the original company to boot.

But, the red flags cannot be simply ignored. Does anyone have any experience with Remington's new rollers? How about MSRP? Could y'all suggest a different, new "Made in America" roller?

Thanks all, and I'm terribly sorry if this has been brought up before.

Ben
02-02-2012, 11:35 PM
http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_no1_rifles.htm

2007 MSRP - $2665

DeTrevni
02-03-2012, 12:04 AM
I appreciate the link, Ben! I found that page during my initial searches, but only kinda grazed over it, admittedly. I missed the MSRP. That is indeed a healthy chunk of change for such a simple rifle...

Could anyone attest to the quality of the rifle? Or, of need be, lack thereof?

Thanks again!

Chill Wills
02-03-2012, 02:14 AM
There are two Rollers here.

http://arizonasharpshooters.com/22601.html

smkummer
02-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I want one but isn't this more of a $1199 MSRP rifle? If they really wanted to sell these get serious about costs.

Hardcast416taylor
02-05-2012, 12:52 PM
That price is a reflection of where they are made in the "CUSTOM" shop. People will pay that price just to have a custom built original named company rifle.Robert

DeTrevni
02-05-2012, 10:58 PM
That price is a reflection of where they are made in the "CUSTOM" shop. People will pay that price just to have a custom built original named company rifle.Robert

I'm very close to being in that boat. I'm big on sentiment, authenticity and nostalgia, and a No. 1 new from Remington would be amazing. ~$3,000 though. It better be a fine rifle for that, and the rumors I've heard are to the contrary...

Gavetta
02-05-2012, 11:18 PM
sent pm

Ed in North Texas
02-06-2012, 12:55 PM
http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_no1_rifles.htm

2007 MSRP - $2665

For that kind of money you can find a lot of really nice originals, not to mention rifles made on RB actions.

Ed

Yellowhouse
02-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Mike Venturino has written on the pro/con of the rifle and was not impressed whatsoever. If Remington really wanted to they could make an exact copy of a #1 Sporting rifle with octagon barrel, single set trigger, CCH receiver, and Rough n Ready rear sight. I might think about buying one then. With the unfortunate demise of Lone Star owner David Higginbotham I sure hope some custom maker will step up to the plate.

451 Pete
02-06-2012, 02:01 PM
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o589/451pete/016.jpg

I purchased this one back in 1998. As has been mentioned above they are from the Remington Custom Shop. This particular rifle is a little bit on the light side for the silhouette game but I feel will hold its own if you can manage the weight , or lack there of. I also have a Shilo 1874 and a Ballard but this is the one that gets noticed when you take it to the range.

Pete

DeTrevni
02-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Gavetta, above, sent me a PM indicating he is very happy with his Custom Shop purchase. If anyone could find Mike's review, or has it quickly on hand, I'd much like to read it to compare.

451, that is a beautiful rifle! The color case hardening and the fancy wood is stunning! I've never dealt with a "custom shop" before. Do you simply call in to the shop, tell them what you want, and hand over the green? Or do you go through a dealer?

As for why I am interested in a new Remington, well there are a few reasons. Mostly, I'd much prefer an American rifle. If there are any other American rollers out there, I'd certainly take a look. I've got nothing against the Italian models, I'm just a bit of a traditionalist. Also, the original manufacturer still making them is quite a bonus. In regards to "new," I really like the idea of a gun being made for me. Just a personal quirk. What can I say, I tend to get sentimental. :)

If I can justify ordering one from the custom shop, I will begin pinching my pinnies directly...

Also, thanks again for y'alls' input!

Edit to add: I know I'm the only one who can make the final decision on what it's worth to me, but it really helps to get others' insight. :)

WARD O
02-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Lone Star rolling blocks as made in Texas before the owners recent death are an exceptionally nice American made rifle and boy do they shoot!

Ward

451 Pete
02-06-2012, 07:59 PM
DeTrevni,
Thank you for your kind compliments on the rolling block. I had went to a large gun shop in Fenton Michigan with the intent in mind to buy the plain stock silhouette model when they brought this one out. I always have been partial to a pretty piece of wood . ( I figure I may be able to get out and shoot it a few times a year but I can certainly admire it all year long. ) The rest is history.

If the rolling block is what you want I would give the folks at the Remington Custom Shop a call. They should be able to tell you what services they offer and some idea of pricing and availability of any upgrades you would want.

Hope this helps ... Pete

leadman
02-06-2012, 11:12 PM
If you decide the MSRP is too much for you I can say that at least my Pedersoli RB Creedmor is a fine shooting rifle. Pedersoli borrowed an original Creedmor from the Cody Museum to copy. Found this out when I was at the Cody Museum and asked where the gun was as the stand was still in the display.
I paid $450 brand new on sale from Cabela's quite a few years ago.

Kenny Wasserburger
02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
A real decent Roller is the John Bodine Model with double sets, If you gota have a roller. Other wise for that kind of money buy a Shiloh And get what you pay for.

I have shot a Bodine in 45-90 and it was the only roller I would ever consider owning, and I am not a Pedersoli Fan. But it is a fine rifle.

KW
The Lunger

texasmac
02-09-2012, 12:41 PM
DeTrevni

You may be interested in the following link. I believe it's from the same batch that 451 Pete has and commented on earlier. Remington made a few of these in 1997 and 1998, then went with the "standard" custom shop offering as noted in Chuck Hawks article.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=272853618
At the current price it's cheaper than the two models listed in Chuck Hawks' article. A very nice NIB custom #1 with SST and sights, and it comes in a custom case.

And here's another NIB rifle. If I had pick between the one listed above and this one, I'd go for the one above for the extra bucks.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273140733

Wayne

RMulhern
02-09-2012, 12:44 PM
If the quality on these isn't any better than the new M700s.....you'd be best to buy a Shiloh!!

DeTrevni
02-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Well, go figure. Texasmac, that's pretty much spot on what I'd want. Problem is, I'm in the midst of buying a house, so the money isn't quite there. Figures it rolls around when I can't actually buy it yet...

Guy La Pourque
02-11-2012, 04:11 PM
I am flummoxed by the rollers. I see them in pictures and the damn things look like junk. It is impossible to take a good picture of one.

Then you get to the range and see them in person and they're gorgeous! They snuggle up to the shoulder like an old girlfriend and hold like a dream too.