PDA

View Full Version : Win 94 30-30 = Shooting Low

robertbank
03-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Had my gun out to practice yesterday using 311041 boolits cast from WW with GC. Load was 10 gr Unique. Gun, when rear sight is set at it's highest notch is shooting about 6" low at 50 yards. Groups are great but way low. Front sight is dovetailed which indicates to me you should be able to install a higher sight. Not familiar with what is available out there. Suggestions or is it Kentucky Windage time.

Take Care

Bob

26Charlie
03-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Robertbank, You can file off the bead, leaving a tapered blade which you can file to whatever height you want. I did this to a M94 after seeing that my loads struck at about the bottom of the bead when I took a regular sight picture. The front sight is easily replaced. If you can find one of the front sights NEF or H&R used to put on their Shikari models, it is a straight post and can be filed to a suitable height.
If you put a Lyman 66 aperture rear sight on, then you have the adjustment without having to modify the front, which is what I eventually did. If you want, I can look for that front sight I filed the bead off of, just send me a PM with an address to send it to.

45 2.1
03-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Front sights are measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight bead or flat. Measure yours and get a shorter height front sight to replace the one you have on it now.

Junior1942
03-13-2007, 10:58 AM
For a 16" sight radius, you'll need a front sight at least .060" lower.

LarryM
03-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Slap a lyman peep sight on it and try that.

NickSS
03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
It shoots low because the velocity is lower than factory ammo. You can fiddle with the front sight (lower front sight blade) or install a reciever sight or tang sight. As I want to shoot a variety of loads in my rifles they all have either a reciever sight or marbles tang sight on them. I have no problems getting on target out to 200 yards with any load I have tried.

robertbank
03-13-2007, 06:22 PM
OK based on all of the above I think I will go with the Lyman peep sight arrangement. My 94 has two small screws on the left sife of the receiver that I assume are for mounting the 66 sight. Screws are about 1/2" apart. Being a man born with nine thumbs a a finger to pick at my nose when whatever I am trying to fix is "really" not working after my attempt to repair tell me those two screws are what I think they are.

Take Care

Bob

Mk42gunner
03-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Yes those two screws are where the aperture sight mounts.

If you haven't used peep sights before; don't try to focus on the peep, just look though it.

Robert

RGRWJB
03-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Don't file that sight!

Brownell's have spare ones of different heights that you can buy cheap and install yourself.