PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 640KA

midnight
02-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I recently aquired a Mossberg 640KA chambered in 22 WMR. It had the usual back sight on the barrel. I was fortunate enough to find an original Mossberg S330 aperture sight for it. Set as low as it would go it still shot about 8in high with the factory front sight. Ah ha, an opportunity to put a taller 17A front sight on which I did. Now it shoots fine. Had to remove the barrel back sight so I wouldn't have to look at it through the aperture. Now I had this ugly dovetail to fill. I drove a slot blank into the dovetail just a few minutes ago. Now finally to my question for all of you who know much more than I. I have always thought you remove left to right and install right to left. This is what I did on the 17A and the slot blank and it worked fine. I found that a 1lb soft lead ingot makes a dandy non-marring sight pusher. Before I commit this rule of thumb to my limited memory I need your expert opinion.

Bob:lovebooli

Mk42gunner
02-03-2012, 01:39 AM
With machine cut slots, it really doesn't matter in my opinion.

With hand cut slots, there is a good chance that a taper was filed in on purpose.

With all that said, I always try to insert from the right and remove from the left. I like to use a hard nylon punch, it seems like every time I try to use a brass punch I get a smear of brass that is a PITA to remove.

Every Mossberg .22 that I have shot thought it was a target rifle, even the semi autos.

Robert