PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog Molds

1Shirt
02-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Have about 6 or so Ranch Dog Molds, and can say nothing bad about them. Love the 165 gr. 30 cal and have it both plain and GC and they cast like a bandit. Same with the little 22. However sure do wish he would market some of the rifle molds in 2 cav. Just a wish, but probably it is a cost factor.
1Shirt!:coffee:

stubshaft
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
I haven't been on Mikes website for ages. I didn't realize he did away with the 2 cavity molds.

yovinny
02-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I'd love to have a few 2 cavity ones myself, really wish he had them available.

Call me cheap, but I got into casting to save money and I just dont think I shoot any one thing enough to really justify a C note (mold, handles, sizer, shipping charges) for one weight in a single caliber.

Just my $.02
Cheers, YV

nanuk
02-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I remember reading somewhere about Lee Quality regarding the 2C moulds, and RD not having good luck with them

JesterGrin_1
02-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Ranch Dog Michael did away with the 2 cavity mainly because of the High return rate of defective molds. For some reason Lee does a far better job on there 6 cavity molds with a very small percentage of defective ones.

I also wish he had 2 cavity molds again but with the way things are you can not blame him since he is a small operation and can not really afford the time and expense of lengthy inspections as well as returns to get a quality product to sell to his customers.

nanuk
02-02-2012, 11:42 PM
easy peasy

get a 6c, cut off the extra 2 on the ends, and get a 2c sprue plate and mount it.....

Badda Boom Badda Bing... a 2C using the good Lee mould blocks.

runfiverun
02-03-2012, 12:18 AM
i don't even know what a lee 6 cav mold costs, but the time they'd save is probably worth it.
cast with one for half an hour then switch molds, and cast with something else.

pdawg_shooter
02-03-2012, 11:06 AM
My last 6 Lee 2cav only need cleaning out of the box. No tweeking required at all. Just wash and cast. Sizes were right on and bullets dropped with just a gentle tap on the hinge. Suits me just fine.

white eagle
02-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I remember reading somewhere about Lee Quality regarding the 2C moulds, and RD not having good luck with them
copy that !:Fire:

Chicken Thief
02-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Michael is a wery good man when he ships outside the US of A!

He'll dismantle and pack in newspaper and fit into a Flatrate box with no extra charge. In short he'll go that extra mile and that is why he gets all my Lee orders.
Yes for the unfortunate of us a good shipper of Lee (or any) products is of essence price wise, and cherishedhttp://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/A.gif

PS. If i bought a normal Lee 6-banger from Midwaydenmark then the prise is:
$85 + $ 12 shipping. So a $60 + $14.95 (Flatrate to EU) custom mould is a nobrainer.

shotman
02-04-2012, 05:34 PM
he is wery good and if you cant cast with a 6 then dont cast or if you are too lazy use the last 2 holes
where is that spelling thinnny I for gets
dosss anyone knows where to gets a 10 cav thats makes 2 thingings

popper
02-04-2012, 06:53 PM
My 3+3 is great, even had the sprue plate dressed up a bit. He does a great job.