PDA

View Full Version : Lee DC HP SWC 45 Cal?

Joe216
02-02-2012, 01:02 AM
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q535/Joe21682/90234.jpg

Anyone familiar with this mold?

Im looking for a 2 cavity HP mold for a 45ACP. Found a SWC HP and RN HP, not sure which would be more accurate. I'd like to stick with Lee, Ive had good results with Lee molds and heard not so good things about Lyman. I know Lyman makes the Devastator mold.

Any tips/opinions with the 45 ACP HP molds would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe216
02-02-2012, 01:07 AM
http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q535/Joe21682/90351.jpg

And here's the RN HP.

stubshaft
02-02-2012, 01:12 AM
That is NOT a stock Lee boolit mold. It has been modified by Hollow Point Bullet Service whoever they are. With what looks like a Cramer style insert.

Joe216
02-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Yes thats correct, the molds are modified and look like a new design, I can't much info about these molds online.

geargnasher
02-02-2012, 02:28 AM
Try hollowpointmold dot com. Looks like an Erik Ohlen special, although the cavities have been re-machined to designs different than Lee's... Not sure if it's his handiwork, but he just started offering the sliding-pin HP conversions to new Lee 2-cavity moulds with some standard Lee boolit designs.

Gear

runfiverun
02-02-2012, 02:38 AM
the top one is actually a round nose flat point.
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/
look here.

MikeS
02-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Joe: I have the lower mould, it starts out as Lee's 452-228-1R then Erik from hollowpointmold.com works his magic on it making it into a hollow point. If you would like, I'd be happy to send you a few boolits I've cast from it for you to try. Give me a PM and we can discuss it, as I have both boolits that are sized & lubed, and loaded 45ACP rounds, so if you wanna go shooting here I can bring some of both for you to try. I really need to get to the range, so I can test out my new revolver! You're also welcome to stop by my place after shooting (or before), I'll let you try casting with the mould yourself so you can see how it works.

stubshaft
02-02-2012, 05:43 AM
I was reading the faint overlay on the first photo that's where I got the hollow point mold service from. I have had molds reworked by Erik and can confirm that he does excellent work.

I still have one of the original Lee 45-190-HP SC molds around somewhere. Like a fool I sold the 357 and 44 hp molds though.

MikeS - I really appreciate the offer but driving from Hawaii (the Southernmost State) is going to be a little damp. The mold is a beautiful piece of work and look forward to seeing some pictures of small groups with it.

Now you got the ole noggin ticking again. Going to have to look in the mold drawer and see what mold I can have Erik redo for me.

MikeS
02-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Well, actually the offer to go shooting was for Joe, who lives one county north of me, but comes down to shoot at the range in my city. However, having said that, if you wanna PM me your mailing address, I'd happily send you some boolits I cast from the round nose HP mould. If you're not one of those people that look down on Lee moulds, and want a hollow point mould, it would be cheaper to buy one of these modified Lee moulds from Erik for $85.00 (shipped to your door) rather than having him HP a mould you already have. Of course if you have a mould you really like, and want it HP'ed, then Erik is the man to do the job!

On that note, (and this question is addressed to any/everyone), when sending a few boolits for a person to try, what would be a good amount to send so the sendee can get a feel for the boolits? I wouldn't mind sending say a dozen boolits to anyone that wanted to try some. Currently all the ones I have are sized to .452 and lubed with a lube that started out as NRA 50/50 that has added carnauba & blue candle wax to stiffen it a bit, and change the color, so I know what's on the boolit I'm looking at. If enough folks wanted some unsized samples, I would be tempted to cast up some more. It would be a good excuse to make more. :)

Joe216
02-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Hey guys as always thanks so much for the advice! Hey Mike good to hear from you, Id like to hit Marham Park tomorrow depending on how the day goes. I work on call, so Im crossing my fingers. Ill send you my number, give me a call if your free tomorrow.

-Joe

Harter66
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Mike,
I've made good trades on metal for boolits . 1/1.5 or so boolits/metal. Everyone has seemed happy.

MikeS
02-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I wasn't talking about trades, trades vary depending on what's offered. What I was talking about was just sending some sample boolits for a person to try. Would a dozen be enough? Too much? If somebody just wanted a few to try, and I've got them, I wouldn't mind sending a few without a trade, or payment.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.088865,-80.403678