PDA

View Full Version : .500 JRH and dies

subsonic
02-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I am looking for used .500 S&W dies from RCBS. Does anyone know how to tell if they are the "new" ones that will load .500JRH & .500 Special or the "old" that will not crimp them? Is there an obvious marking?

subsonic
02-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Well, I answered my own question here.

RCBS tech said that the new style will say .500 S&W/SPL on top of the dies and on the box.

44man
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
I use Hornady .500 S&W dies that belong to Whitworth for the .500 JRH.

ebner glocken
02-02-2012, 10:32 PM
I have a set of redding dies for the .500 smith. When the cylinder is made we'll see if they work.

Ebner

subsonic
02-02-2012, 10:54 PM
I have a set of redding dies for the .500 smith. When the cylinder is made we'll see if they work.

Ebner

Thecrimp die should be the only issue. If you have brass, you can find out if it reaches. Just raise the ram and let go of it with a piece of brass in the SH. Then screw in the die until you see the ram move as the crimp ring pushes the case away. If it never moves.... Aint gonna reach.

I kinda like Hornady dies, but I also can get the RCBS much cheaper and I can "fix" the expander if I need to.

The Hornady seater is a mixed bag. When it works right it should seat the boolits very straightly, but if it hangs up with boolit lube, it is no better and maybe worse than the RCBS seater. It also will limit the largest size of boolit you can use sooner than the RCBS.

44man
02-03-2012, 10:59 AM
I do have to clean out lube often but it is so easy. Just pull the spring out and wash the little parts.
I crimp with the seat die when I seat boolits. There is no reason to crimp in a separate step.