PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Old Army

BudRow
02-01-2012, 02:10 PM
The manual I got with the gun says to use #10 percussion caps. I have been using #11s by pinching them a little out-of round. Should I be using #10s? I have several 100 #11s. Does anybody make replacement nipples that fit the Old Army and take the #11s? TIA, BudRow

02-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Don't know about #11s for the Ruger OA ?? Might try Track of the Wolf for nipples. If it were me I'd use #10s on the #10 nipples if the nipples are in good shape. If they are beat up or mushroomed from use or dry firing I'd replace with correct for the Ruger #10s. I would not use #11s on #10 nipples with the C&B. Two things cause chain fire in C&B revolvers- poorly fit cap and loose ball. At best wrong caps can jam cylinder after firing.

451 Pete
02-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Budrow,
Track of the Wolf carrys a nipple for the Ruger Old Army that takes a #11 cap and uses the Old Army nipple wrench.

Pete

Boerrancher
02-01-2012, 04:50 PM
If you want to shoot No 11 caps then buy the No 11 nipples. I had a chain fire in a cap and ball revolver and I did everything right. I got lucky and it just wrecked the gun and not me as well. I still can't for the life of me figure out what happened, and neither could my shooting buddy who was beside me when it happened. It was not a fun experience. Bad things happen with Cap and Ball revolvers with out doing things to make them happen and the wrong size caps is something that can make bad things happen.

Best wishes,

Joe

eljefe
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
You may want to look for Ampco nipples. They
are made by Treso, and can be found at all the
online vendors...Track of the Wolf being one.

I have them in 3 Colt repros, and they are great.
They not only fit number 11 caps, but they also
have a smaller flash hole that results in fewer
caps being blown off into the action of the revolver.

I am using CCI number 11, and they fit perfectly.

rdstrain
02-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Ampco / Tresco are the best, pure and simple.