PDA

View Full Version : Realistic hourly output with a Lee Progressive press?

Twmaster
02-01-2012, 02:56 AM
I've been reloading for a while now. I use a Lee single stage Challenger press currently.

I'm considering a Lee Classic Cast progressive press. Most of what I load in bulk is handgun ammo in 9MM. I also load 9MM Makarov.

I'm looking to load a few thousand rounds of 9x19 to have in stores.

If I've got myself setup and all my brass prepped I can load about 100 rounds an hour with the setup I have.

What sort of ball park can I expect with the progressive press?

(before anybody jumps overboard and suggest 'Just get a Dillon...' Fahgeddaboutit.) :D

Thanks.

geargnasher
02-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Just get a Dillon! :kidding:

I'm not sure what press you're talking about. Lee doesn't make a Classic Cast progressive, if they did I'd own four of them.

They make a three hole, auto-indexing turret, four hole auto-indexing turret, four hole Classic Cast turret which is the same thing only loads longer case and has a far better base, ram, handle, linkage, and primer catcher (similar to the Classic Cast single stage), the Pro-1000 full progressive which is made on the same platform as the three-hole turret press, and they make the Loadmaster 5-station full progressive.

If you get your work station arranged for minimum excess motion, the 4-hole turrets crank out about 100-200 rounds per hour with little fuss, including stopping to recharge primers and powder a couple of times. The Pro-1000s, once you get them set up and tuned up (which takes a few hours, plus the learning curve), usually do about 3-400-hr at my house if I keep the primer tray clean and don't have to many screw ups that require clearing the shellplate and working out an adjustment or primer jam. They're all good machines, but the Lee full progressives require a bit more tinkering than any others to get running right. If you aren't mechanically inclined, stick with a Lee Classic turret press (the best in the biz, IMO), or spend the big bucks to get a more solidly engineered and reliable progressive. Like I said, get a Dillon!

Gear

Twmaster
02-01-2012, 03:47 AM
Doh! I mistyped... Did not mean progressive cast (etc...)

Thanks. Good info. I'll look at the 4 hole rig then...

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-01-2012, 05:30 AM
The Lee Classic Turret geargmasher mentioned can be tuned to provide a high an output as 300 an hour, but you'd really have to work hard and have fast, efficient hands to do so. I was able to get mine that high if I worked real hard at it. For me, 200/hour was easy with gusts up to 250/hour when I was feeling more motivated.

At that pace, you're providing more ammo than the average shooter will shoot.

By the way, at the price the Lee Classic Turret and press are, I'd put both on my bench at the same time. And don't be foolish, consider using equipment from more than one manufacturer on your bench when you buy stuff. Mine now looks like the rainbow coalition because I buy equipment based on it's purpose, rather than on brand or cost.

zuke
02-01-2012, 09:47 AM
With once fired brass you'll have to trim the case's.That'll slow you down some.
But the second loading will go quicker

cheese1566
02-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I load at an easy pace. I do about 100 rounds an hour on my RCBS and Hornady ProJectors. Good, safe, quality ammo shouldn't be an expense to a high rate of loading. Take the time to inspect brass, finished cartridges, and check your powder drops frequently on a trusty powder scale.

milprileb
02-01-2012, 09:29 PM
I agree with Gear: Get a Dillon. Lots easier to run .

However, I do own a Lee 4 hole turret and I can effortless produce 200 rds per hour of pistol ammo.

How much production do you really need? I leapt to a Dillon 650 from a Dillon 550 and found I really did not need to triple my production. I was just fine with the Dillon 550 actually.

milprileb
02-01-2012, 09:50 PM
I got a lot of flaming responses by saying this when comparing Rock Chucker to Lee cast O presses but I will say it again and this time about turrets vs progressive presses"

A Lee turret press is a MOPED and a Dillon progressive press is a Harley Davidson. Both get you there but how they get you there is the difference

That said, a Lee may be all you really need and serve you well. They can be made to give adequate service. Good reloading procedures with them can produce fine accurate ammo.

Speed...I now longer try to get max production rates out of these presses. I go at a pace that works for me and so be it.

btroj
02-01-2012, 10:16 PM
It is more important how many rounds can you comfortably and safely get per hour.

With my Dillon 550 I actually only load 300 per sitting usually so rounds per hour doesn't matter much. I figure on 45 to 50 minutes including the primer tube filling, etc.

I prefer not to rush, I am not doing this for money!

Twmaster
02-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the replies gang.

My question was more from a standpoint of comparing the single stage I currently use to a press like the Lee turret (and perhaps progressive).

I'm not really looking for ZOMG! I can make 5 zillion rounds an hour with a Dillon.

And I have my answer. I'd be more than content with a 200 RPH output. I shoot a lot of 9MM and now more so as I've just bought a 9MM handgun.

Thanks again.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-02-2012, 05:19 AM
If you do decide to buy the Lee Classic Cast, get with me for a few tips about tuning it for smooth and efficient operation before you order. There's things you'll want to have on hand and there's things you don't want to buy that are Lee (like their powder measure). I'll be glad to share with you the things I did to mine setting it up that made it so efficient.

garym1a2
02-02-2012, 01:15 PM
With the Classic cast turrent press I can run about 180/hr in 45acp and 38 special, its a great press. With the 9mm I expect a little slower speed as I sometimes run into batches of Berdan and crimped primers. BUT of all the loading supplies I have purchased to date the two Lee classic cast presses are the best (turrent and breechlock)

P.S., the loadmaster primer feed stinks, it is my worse purchase.

Thanks for the replies gang.

My question was more from a standpoint of comparing the single stage I currently use to a press like the Lee turret (and perhaps progressive).

I'm not really looking for ZOMG! I can make 5 zillion rounds an hour with a Dillon.

And I have my answer. I'd be more than content with a 200 RPH output. I shoot a lot of 9MM and now more so as I've just bought a 9MM handgun.

Thanks again.

Recluse
02-02-2012, 07:11 PM
I bought a Pro1000 back in the late 80's for loading .38 Special during my IPSC days. Yep, I was--and am--a wheelgun shooter (and have the boxes full of speedloaders to prove it :) ).

Three stations which is one to two less pulls of the handle compared to the Dillon 550B I didn't have at the time, or the 650 I keep looking at. . .

I figured out very early that a Pro1000 must have a rock-steady base to bolt onto, and if you don't, you better get a tall bottle of water handy to keep your mouth moist--because you're going to do some serious swearing.

You're going to do that anyway, though.

I also figured out it was worth disassembling the primer set up and getting it as slick and burr free as is humanly possible. I also even put some shims in where it hooks up to give it a little more gravity. When I keep the primer tray full, I have no problems with it. When it gets down to the chute where I can remove the tray without losing a primer, I refill it and go again.

Loading 158 grain LRN boolits, I could get 300/400 an hour out of that Pro1000 pretty easy. Still can, but with the caveat of no stopping for adjustments, bad cases, etc.

When I would separate my brass and load and shoot only RP or Fed or Winchester, and with my Winchester primers and slicked up primer chute and a heavy, steady base, I could run that press fairly hard and crank out a lot of ammo in a short time.

Oh, I forgot to mention the world's simplest case feeder and collator system, too. THAT is what made all the difference.

I can get around 150/200 rounds an hour out of the Lee Classic Turret I recently purchased, but I'm in absolutely no hurry with it.

Last time I pulled the handle on a friend's 650 with a case feeder, it was ungoshly fast. He also has a 1050 and it's a beast--ought to be for what they cost.

At the end of the day, I'll go with a 550B everytime, though. The build and reliability just can't be beat and I'm looking forward to getting one back on my bench in the future.

:coffee:

angus6
02-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I've got the Lee Classic Turret, a Super 1050, XL650 , RL550 a couple Stars and only presses on my bench that won't be replaced are the Lee Classic Turret and the Super 1050 and 1 Star.

The Lee has seen 3 SDBV's come and go, The Lee will give you 300 rds an hour of 9mm at a easy pace if you relax and let it

Colorado4wheel
02-02-2012, 09:42 PM
300 rds a hour on a Lee Classic Turret is smoking fast. Think about it this way. 4 pulls of the handle for every round. So that is 1200 pulls of the handle during the hour. Divide by 60 mins equals 20 pulls of the handle every minute. Or you are pulling the handle every 3 secs. Fastest I was ever able to go on a LCT was 250 rds a hour pace. And that is not for a solid hour. You have to stop and reload the primer setup. Move loaded rounds around. Stuff like that. not every second of loading is spent pulling the handle.

Colorado4wheel
02-02-2012, 09:44 PM
I also wouldn't call the Classic Turret a Progressive press.

357shooter
02-02-2012, 10:03 PM
The Lee Turret presses are excellent. One thing to consider (this may go against conventional thinking) is I actually like the three hole. It cuts the operations by 25%. I didn't find that crimping seperately from seating to make a difference in the quality of the loads.

To seat and crimp together has a bit of a knack to adjusting things to work properly. A lot a high quality ammo has been loaded with with a 3 station setup. This is all IMHO

Put another way, the extra step adds 30% (roughly) to the process.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
300 rds a hour on a Lee Classic Turret is smoking fast. Think about it this way. 4 pulls of the handle for every round. So that is 1200 pulls of the handle during the hour. Divide by 60 mins equals 20 pulls of the handle every minute. Or you are pulling the handle every 3 secs. Fastest I was ever able to go on a LCT was 250 rds a hour pace. And that is not for a solid hour. You have to stop and reload the primer setup. Move loaded rounds around. Stuff like that. not every second of loading is spent pulling the handle.

Here's how you get three hundred rds/hr out of the Lee:

1. Tune the press, including adjusting the turret for fast rotation to turret detent lock.

2. Lube the press correctly.

3. Lay everything out carefully and in an ergonomic spot for efficiency, including your brass and bulllets. Ergonomics are an important part any "manufacturing" work where you're looking to minimize fatigue and increase production.

4. Have extras of these items: Safety prime (both sizes), Pro Auto Disks (at least two, maybe three).

5. With everything pre-loaded, pay close attention, stay very focused and work with both hands.

6. Have each hand doing work at the same time as the other hand with no wasted motions.

7. Be familiar with everything you're doing and think about each step you're doing and what you'll do next before you do it.

8. Helps if you've worked in a factory on a production line.

That'll get you to 300/hour. You will have to work for it, but it'll get you there. There are some fine points, but that's the overview. BTW, everything I mentioned works with most any press to speed up the operation.

DK1911
02-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Mike probably is happily loading with a Dillon by now, but here's my $.02.

I bought the Lee 1000 a few years ago when I moved up from my SS Herters (no laughs please), and have pumped out 10K+ 45 LSWC and another few thousand nines.

They do take a bit of fiddling with to get set up (watch the online video), the primer tray is temperamental at times, the whole primer chute needs to stay sparkling clean and put it on a rigid bench. But once it set up, it makes fine rounds to punch paper and splatter steel with. Between dinner and bed time (2-3 hours) I can punch out 500 rounds easy with prepped brass. Dillons ar SWEET, but, for a buck and a half set up for 45 I feel pretty good about it. The Lee Dies also seem to size 9 brass all the way to the bottom. I've never had a problem with range brass like I've read others have.

Get the microadjustible powder shoe (throws universal clays consistent) and if you're going to load more than 1 caliber, get the whole lower section assembly and another upper turret block. Makes changeover quick.

DK

Colorado4wheel
02-03-2012, 08:29 AM
300 rds a hour is not realistic. It's possibly I guess. My fastest was 254rds a hour for a 100 rd burst. Sure you can go a little faster. But most don't. So to expect 300 on a average, every day kind of thing not what most people while say is their realistic output. I would suggest expect about 200rds a hour. Give or take a little based on your motivation to go fast. Sure you can go faster but most people don't. My 250rds a hour pace was pretty fast. I could do it for a hour. I would not enjoy it at all. And yes I know how to setup a efficient work space. I know how to use two hands (how can you not on the LCT).

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I just wrote up how to get to 300 rds/hr on the Classic Turret. I didn't say one could do it day to day or even want to. It is doable and it isn't fun, it's flat out work, which is what manufacturing is. Never, ever said anybody would want to, just said they could. On the other hand, if you set yourself up as described and if you've got a half an hour before you need to get ready to take your wife out to a dinner party, there's a shooting match the next day you need 150 cartridges for, you just might be able to get it done and be shooting in that match the next day.....

So, it's worth while to know what the capability of a press is. For that time when you want cartridges, but don't have much time. And who of us hasn't run into a similar situation?

angus6
02-03-2012, 09:28 PM
300 isn't hard , no it's not a sit and run all day pace but a sit run them out, wonder away come back later type deal.
I spent the better part of my life fishing for a living so you learn real quick that any wasted motion is $$ out of your pocket or time you don't get to sleep

geargnasher
02-04-2012, 04:27 PM
I also wouldn't call the Classic Turret a Progressive press.

Exactly. The Lee Classic turret is the most versatile, well-built, and easy-to-use auto-index turret press on the market IMO, and I've used the goofy T-mag and RCBS wobbly contraptions on several occasions. The Lee turret design squares to the ram when it applies pressure and takes up the slack in the cogs wereas the center-supported turrets wobble a bit, even if adjusted properly on the counter-support. There is a LOT of flex in the turret plate itself on the T-mag. If you get a Classic Turret combined with the stupid-looking but very effective Lee Safety Prime system and primer catcher, the Lee press is as good as any single stage, better than most, and halfway to a high quality full-progressive in speed with no compromises in safety if you do your part. Complete caliber, primer, and powder changes take only about three minutes, with the turret head and primer change taking fifteen seconds. Whaddaya want for a hunnerd bucks?

Gear

Dan Cash
02-04-2012, 04:41 PM
With once fired brass you'll have to trim the case's.That'll slow you down some.
But the second loading will go quicker

The OP is loading 9mm and 9 Makarov. He won't need any case trimming in this lifetime.

WD2A7X3
02-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I usually do around 200 per hour but I take my time and double check every case for powder and stop every 50-75 rounds to clean powder flakes from the primer station area.

You can probally do 300+ if you just wanna crank them out without being quite as QC oriented.

geargnasher
02-04-2012, 08:40 PM
I usually do around 200 per hour but I take my time and double check every case for powder and stop every 50-75 rounds to clean powder flakes from the primer station area.

You can probally do 300+ if you just wanna crank them out without being quite as QC oriented.

The Pro-1000 I assume? I keep a camel-hair artist's paintbrush handy for cleaning powder flakes out of the rim recesses in the shellplate and primer seater periodically. Also, split a piece of clear Scotch tape with scissors and put a 1/4" strip across the entire top of the primer chute, that will help immensely in keeping powder flakes from finding their way into the chute where they can cause jams.

Gear

milprileb
02-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Parting Shot: The Lee Turrets may not be the drag race champs on rounds per hour but consider how many periods of the day per week that you have 20 minutes unproductive. Before supper is ready.. crank on the Lee , waiting for wife to get ready to go some place.. thats good for 20 min cranking on the Lee.

My point: During the week, whenever I have 10 min or more between things in life and I am at home: I head to the bench and work my Lee to make 9mm ammo.

You will be surprised how much ammo you have at the end of a week just making best use of down time.

357shooter
02-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Parting Shot: The Lee Turrets may not be the drag race champs on rounds per hour but consider how many periods of the day per week that you have 20 minutes unproductive. Before supper is ready.. crank on the Lee , waiting for wife to get ready to go some place.. thats good for 20 min cranking on the Lee.

My point: During the week, whenever I have 10 min or more between things in life and I am at home: I head to the bench and work my Lee to make 9mm ammo.

You will be surprised how much ammo you have at the end of a week just making best use of down time.

+1. That's my approach too, when I was using the Lee Turret and now with a 550. Usually I don't have 1-2 hours to load, but 10-20 mins here an there gets it done. It's great stress relief to, second to actually shooting at the range.

sabrecross03
02-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I think you're on the right track. Stick with what works. The Lee Classic Turret Press is a GREAT choice especially if you aren't experienced in progressive presses.

Don't get caught in all of the HYPE to run out and buy a $650-$900 set-up. Consider how much ammo you can ACTUALLY afford to make and use.

Are you going to load 1K rounds at a time? How many rounds do you shoot per month? Can you afford the powder, shells, and primers for a large amount of ammo all at once?

Most of my equipment is from one manufacturer and I am very pleased. I shoot about 1K rounds a month and my turret press is just fine.

Sonnypie
02-05-2012, 09:54 PM
I always wonder why folks want to get in a rush.
Don't take me wrong, I use a progressive for my pistol ammo.
But I really don't care how fast I can make it go. I enjoy the aspects of reloading.
I enjoy watching the press operate and the completed rounds drop off into my catch bag.
I enjoy getting into a cadence with the press, and hand feeding it brass and bullets.
But really, when I run out of brass to reload, the fun ends. Or that fun ends anyway.
If I do that in an hour, well shucks, go watch television? :confused:

What's the rush???

WD2A7X3
02-06-2012, 12:12 AM
The Pro-1000 I assume? I keep a camel-hair artist's paintbrush handy for cleaning powder flakes out of the rim recesses in the shellplate and primer seater periodically. Also, split a piece of clear Scotch tape with scissors and put a 1/4" strip across the entire top of the primer chute, that will help immensely in keeping powder flakes from finding their way into the chute where they can cause jams.

Gear

Yep it's a 1000, best deal for the money IMO for mass produced pistol rounds. The tapes a good idea I'll have to try it. Instead of a brush I just use a spare brass feeder tube to blow the flakes out then I just sweep the floor after.

geargnasher
02-06-2012, 02:11 AM
That's funny, I keep a jumbo soda straw handy for other similar tasks, might have to try it on the primer punch area next time I sit down for a session.

Gear

Twmaster
02-07-2012, 02:59 AM
Thanks again for the insights.

Dave, I'll be in touch via PM once my new press gets here. I'll be ordering a new Lee 3 hole turret on payday.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Mike,

It's the Lee Classic Cast four hole turret you're wanting, not the three hole. Huge difference in quality and performance. It's a tiny bit more than the three hole, but huge difference in quality and performance.

warf73
02-07-2012, 05:19 AM
If a person wanted alot of pistol ammo reloaded in a short time and only needed it for one caliber I would sugest the Dillion SD hands down.
But if someone is wanting/asking about a Lee Classic Cast Turret press I would steer them in that direction. The CCT can churn out pistol ammo and rifle ammo. Not only that its a well built press worth every penny it costs. Is the CCT a super charged reloading machine NO but it will give good quality ammo at a steady pace.

evan price
02-07-2012, 06:58 AM
Lee's Classic Cast Turret is probably the best value press for the dollars spent on the market, hands down. It's the more recent design that shares no parts with the Pro-1K.

I run a Lee 3-hole turret and a Pro-1000 on my bench. They share the same turrets which is VERY nice if I want to run a few test rounds and not setup the Pro-1000 for a mass production run.

That Pro-1K almost got defenestrated a few times in the early days when I was figuring it out- it came as a box-lot from an auction, in pieces, incomplete. I rebuilt it and then had to figure it out on the fly. Frustrating, as Lee's instructions are very non-intuitive and basic and not real informative.

(If Lee's guys wrote Clymer auto-repair manuals, they would read like this: "To remove the engine from your car, unbolt anything attached to the engine. Lift engine from engine bay. Installation is reverse of removal- Proper alignment is critical between components." Technically correct, but really short on details!!)

When I started I was lucky to get 200 RPH on the Pro-1000 but that was better than the single stage. Once I learned how to get into the rythm of the operation speed got better and better and I can now hit 300 RPH easily and sometimes towards 400 RPH loading 38 Special with Titegroup. The press just feels like it was made for 38 special, probably was originally.

The hardest thing about the Pro-1000 is the primer feed, it is totally gravity powered and with the curve in the primer chute, if you let it get lower than the edge of the flip tray slot, you start getting misfed primers. I keep a dental pick stuck in a hole in the bench top on the side of the press to help coax those last few primers down the chute at the end of the run. I keep a small cosmetic brush to clean away any spilled powder (but with 38 spl and 3.5 gr of Titegroup it doesn't happen often).

I don't use a chain-return Auto-Disc because I prefer the older spring-return model and I know I have to be very vigilant of double charges if I stop the press in the middle.

Timing the shellplate is the most critical adjustment. Once you get the knack of it it is quick and easy. I solved the problem of this by acquiring specific shellplate carrier assemblies for the major calibers with case feeders already installed. Once setup, as long as you never remove the shellplate from the shellplate carrier bolt, it never goes out of time.

I even went so far as to get extra Auto-Discs setup with the common load for the major calibers pre-installed on their turret & die sets. To change calibers takes a minute- swap over the shellplate carrier assembly and hex rod, change the turret with Auto-Disc powder measure, add powder & primers, cycle through a couple of cases to settle the powder in the measure, and then start going.

Twmaster
02-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Loads of good info. that's what I love about this site.

Dave, ok, the 4 hole.... although I -never- see me in need of the 4 holes.... Can the three hole plates fit the 4 hole press? (I suspect not)

As a data point I loaded 900 rounds of ammo this weekend over two four hour sessions with my single stage challenger press. All my brass had previously been cleaned, decapped and resized.

Honestly it was not bad work.

evan price
02-13-2012, 04:37 AM
Three hole cast presses can be converted to 4-hole presses but the cost of the conversion IMHO is not worth it especially if you don't see a need for 4 holes.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-14-2012, 07:21 PM
You can convert to the three hole, but not worth it. It's a shame they don't make it both ways with the same parts for the three hole operation as the four. I used the Lee deluxe die sets and a FCD because I prefer to use the FCD. I also found the four holes can be handy if you decide to add a Lyman M-die or other odd stuff to reloading a particular cartridge.

Don't be afraid to customize your die setups to improve your ammunition or make your reloading safer. I did some of both with the four hole.

milprileb
02-15-2012, 10:55 AM
I always wonder why folks want to get in a rush.
Don't take me wrong, I use a progressive for my pistol ammo.
But I really don't care how fast I can make it go. I enjoy the aspects of reloading.
I enjoy watching the press operate and the completed rounds drop off into my catch bag.
I enjoy getting into a cadence with the press, and hand feeding it brass and bullets.
But really, when I run out of brass to reload, the fun ends. Or that fun ends anyway.
If I do that in an hour, well shucks, go watch television? :confused:

What's the rush???

Such Logic ! Rings such truth ! It begs the question... is reloading a hobby or a chore. And if its a chore, then why do it at all ? Honestly, if speed is the issue, you can make most turret or progressives chunk out ammo at a high rate but if great ammo is the end state: take your time and enjoy making totally reliable and precision built ammo [smilie=s:[smilie=s:[smilie=s:[smilie=s:

saz
02-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Exactly. The Lee Classic turret is the most versatile, well-built, and easy-to-use auto-index turret press on the market IMO, and I've used the goofy T-mag and RCBS wobbly contraptions on several occasions. The Lee turret design squares to the ram when it applies pressure and takes up the slack in the cogs wereas the center-supported turrets wobble a bit, even if adjusted properly on the counter-support. There is a LOT of flex in the turret plate itself on the T-mag. If you get a Classic Turret combined with the stupid-looking but very effective Lee Safety Prime system and primer catcher, the Lee press is as good as any single stage, better than most, and halfway to a high quality full-progressive in speed with no compromises in safety if you do your part. Complete caliber, primer, and powder changes take only about three minutes, with the turret head and primer change taking fifteen seconds. Whaddaya want for a hunnerd bucks?

Gear

I could not have said it better Gear! I bought my Classic turret about a year and a half ago, and all I could think was "where have you been all my life"! It is about as quick as you can go without going to a full progressive setup.

You made a very good point about the turret squaring up when pressure was applied by the ram. I first busted it out of the box, got it set up and noticed that when I was sizing cases there was this gap between the turret head and top of the press. I thought I got "Lee'd" at first, but a quick phone call and measured a couple of sized cases for runout and they assured me it was designed that way. I have not looked back since. The safety prime had a little "learning curve" to it but once you figure it out, no problem.

Now if I get into a rhythm doing 45 ACP I can usually take my time and bang out 150-200 rounds in a minute. But I am stopping every 7-10 rounds and checking the powder charge and I look into every case after it is charged. From behind it looks like I am resting my chin on the top of the press.

+1 here on the best bang for the buck! I bought all my pieces seperately (press, safety prime,etc) from different places and actually saved about $40 compared to the "kit" price from Cabelas also. An absolute homerun for Lee on this press. I wouldn't ever be without one.

Twmaster
03-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Folks, I got side-tracked on getting a turret press. I'll be ordering one next week once I see my next paycheck.

How do you guys feel about the Lee auto-disk powder dispenser for this press? I have a Lee 'Perfect' powder measure that I am not thrilled with. Depending on the powder it gives inconsistent throws. Mostly with flake powders like Unique and Red Dot.

Does the auto-disk suffer from this?

Thanks.

1bluehorse
03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Folks, I got side-tracked on getting a turret press. I'll be ordering one next week once I see my next paycheck.

How do you guys feel about the Lee auto-disk powder dispenser for this press? I have a Lee 'Perfect' powder measure that I am not thrilled with. Depending on the powder it gives inconsistent throws. Mostly with flake powders like Unique and Red Dot.

Does the auto-disk suffer from this?

Thanks.

It's as good as any and better than most.....

Twmaster
03-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Cool. Thanks.

Dan Cash
03-29-2012, 11:11 PM
We should have no other gods before us but a lot of folks have Lee.

1bluehorse
03-29-2012, 11:34 PM
We should have no other gods before us but a lot of folks have Lee.

Not sure what that means.......but I don't think I like it...

saz
03-30-2012, 02:40 AM
The auto disk is very accurate with red dot for me.
Have not ran any unique through it yet.

Twmaster
03-30-2012, 04:27 AM
Thanks. I loaded 500 9MM bullets this evening. The 'perfect' powder dispenser gave me fits with Red Dot. It almost got a flying lesson. Thankfully it's screwed to my loading bench.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Answers in red:

How do you guys feel about the Lee auto-disk powder dispenser for this press? It's the primary powder measure I used on this press. Unless I was reloading using a powder a Uniflow handled better, it's the only powder measure I would use on the Lee Classic Turret. BTW, don't get the auto dis, spend a bit more and get the Pro auto disk. It's a much better powder measure for the little difference in price. Get the micro disk, the adjustable charge bar and a double disk kit with it. Saves you shipping later on when you decide you want these items.

Does the auto-disk suffer from this?Different powder measures handle different powder measures differently. Usually, if the Lee Perfect powder measure doesn't handle a powder well, the Auto Disk version does and vice versa.

Additional items I suggest you buy to get the most from your Classic Turret:

Lee Safety prime, large and small, two sets. This gives you an hour's run time or better without stopping to load primers. If you're fast handed, get three sets. It's like having extra primer tubes on a Dillon or Hornady.

Auto Disk Risers - 1 for each caliber you plan to reload for. These raise the Pro Auto Disk above the dies for clearance.

4-hole Aluminum turrets - 1 for each caliber you plan to reload for. This is especially true if you already own the dies. Nothing more frustrating than waiting for a turret to come in.

Pro Auto Disk measures - 1 for each caliber you plan to reload for. You can move them, but it's soooooo much more convenient to simply have them pre-mounted on the turret, setup, adjusted and ready to run when you're ready to reload for a certain caliber. They aren't that expensive, so just get one for at least each pistol die set you own.

Auto Disk double disk kit - Get 1, allows you great adjustment range in powder dispensing. 1 set is usually enough for several measures.

Micro disk - if you think you're going to load any small calibers, get one of these.

Adjustable charge bar - get 1 - there is going to be one load you want very precise and this will handle that situation for you. It's not great at tiny loads, but will give you precision with anything larger.

Die sets for any calibers you are wanting to reload for. Don't forget to add additional turrets for any die sets you add.

Why buy all this stuff at one time? Because long term, you'll want most of this stuff I've mentioned above and you will save yourself some shipping costs, time and effort ordering it later on. If you find you don't need it after reloading on the press for a period of time, you can sell it on the swap and sell for about what you have in it, especially if you've kept it new in the box.

saz
04-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Answers in red:

Additional items I suggest you buy to get the most from your Classic Turret:

Lee Safety prime, large and small, two sets. This gives you an hour's run time or better without stopping to load primers. If you're fast handed, get three sets. It's like having extra primer tubes on a Dillon or Hornady.

Auto Disk Risers - 1 for each caliber you plan to reload for. These raise the Pro Auto Disk above the dies for clearance.

4-hole Aluminum turrets - 1 for each caliber you plan to reload for. This is especially true if you already own the dies. Nothing more frustrating than waiting for a turret to come in.

Pro Auto Disk measures - 1 for each caliber you plan to reload for. You can move them, but it's soooooo much more convenient to simply have them pre-mounted on the turret, setup, adjusted and ready to run when you're ready to reload for a certain caliber. They aren't that expensive, so just get one for at least each pistol die set you own.

Auto Disk double disk kit - Get 1, allows you great adjustment range in powder dispensing. 1 set is usually enough for several measures.

Micro disk - if you think you're going to load any small calibers, get one of these.

Adjustable charge bar - get 1 - there is going to be one load you want very precise and this will handle that situation for you. It's not great at tiny loads, but will give you precision with anything larger.

Die sets for any calibers you are wanting to reload for. Don't forget to add additional turrets for any die sets you add.

Why buy all this stuff at one time? Because long term, you'll want most of this stuff I've mentioned above and you will save yourself some shipping costs, time and effort ordering it later on. If you find you don't need it after reloading on the press for a period of time, you can sell it on the swap and sell for about what you have in it, especially if you've kept it new in the box.

I could not have put it any better..... Nice job Dave.
I ran into the issue of not ordering enough turrets, double disk kit or the adjustable charge bar. I should have. I do not have multiple powder measures though. I leave a 3X5 card on the turret when I pull the measure for another caliber with notes of which disc combination for what powder yeilds what weight of charge, so there is no guesswork to put it back to where it was. It only takes about 3 mins to switch the measure out and change the disk settings, but to each his own! Good luck!

Colorado4wheel
04-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Just be aware the Adjustable Charge Bar does not like small volume charges of TiteGroup and I would assume some others. Over .4cc and your normally fine.

Moonie
04-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Not sure what that means.......but I don't think I like it...

Couldn't agree more, down right offensive.

Twmaster
04-26-2012, 04:14 AM
Well my Classic Cast Turret Press and Auto Disk Pro arrived today.

I have not had time to look over the press. I did get to play with the Auto Disk Pro. Oh my goodness. I wish I had bought one of these last year. It even works on my single stage press.

AND it does not have problems with flake powders like my Lee Perfect Powder Measure.

Just having a reliable powder measure is going to speed up reloading for me.

I'm sure I'll be full of questions once I get the time to setup the turret.

I want to thank you all for the input.

44Vaquero
04-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Before the Perfect Powder Measure, Lee made bench mounted Auto Disk! I own one and three Auto Disk Pro's. For 90+% of pistol caliber reloading they have all served me well!

UNIQUEDOT
04-27-2012, 12:27 AM
44Vaquero, i bought one of those when they came out as i only loaded single stage at the time (except for shotshells) and i just recently sold it. I think it was called the safety disk measure.

44Vaquero
04-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Uniquedot, You are correct! It was called the "Lee Safety Disk Powder Measure". Yet another Lee product I think they should still sell.

Lloyd Smale
04-28-2012, 05:29 AM
I agree. Ive loaded on lnls and all the dillon presses and the lees too and if i wanted to just crank out handgun ammo id go back to the square deals. I can load on them as fast as i can with a 650 or 1050 or lnl with a case feeder because of the shorter stroke of the handle. Get in a rhythm and you can reallly crank it out on one. Unlike the lees you wont be stopping every 300 rounds to fix something either.
If a person wanted alot of pistol ammo reloaded in a short time and only needed it for one caliber I would sugest the Dillion SD hands down.
But if someone is wanting/asking about a Lee Classic Cast Turret press I would steer them in that direction. The CCT can churn out pistol ammo and rifle ammo. Not only that its a well built press worth every penny it costs. Is the CCT a super charged reloading machine NO but it will give good quality ammo at a steady pace.