PDA

View Full Version : Not a lota luck.........

piwo
03-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Well, so far I’m coming up dry. I’ve shot the REAL bullets, the BIG Lymans solid base conical, and the Lee minie: all in .54cal. I’ve tried the Lee both paper patched and plain. Results have just been erratic and certainly nothing I could count on in the field, though I will try the REAL and the big LEE again. I shot both of those when I was experimenting with Lubes, and the temps were VERY cold when I did. Also, the REAL was not with purely soft lead. MrMom graciously sent me a measure of the BIG LEE bullets and I still have 9 of them left. Since the weather’s warmed up, I’ll give’m another whack.

This weekend was the 3rd attempt with the Lee minie: this batch from the softest of plumbers lead, but still erratic. I shot with light loads and heavy loads, it just didn’t matter. I’m guessing that the slow 1-66 twist AND the length of barrel in my rifle (it’s a 44 inch barrel) are not a good combo. I found 5 roundballs in the bottom of my pouch, shot’em, and they were the best group of the day. This has always just been a “wonder if it would work” exercise, but I really thought I’d be able to make it work. I’ve not tried the “North/South” adjustable mold, but don’t think I care to gamble anymore money against the odds that it will. Anyone with that mold in .54 that would be willing to cast a few or lend the mold, I’ll pay for shipping……..

I shot all my rounds at 50 yds through the chrony (17th century technology meets 20th century technology) and that big 415gr conical at 1350 would have been serious medicine if it was reliable. As it is, my roundball behind 100gr FFFg gives me 1770 FPS, and that’s nice.

On the bright side, I’ve been to the range more times since January then I did all of last year!!!:drinks: Oh well, there’s always the next “project gun”….

Rick Hodges
03-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Piwo,

With a 1-66 twist .54 I would just use the round ball. My Lyman Plains rifle with 66" twist is at it's best with a RB over 90gr. of 3f Goex. I tried maxi's, maxi-hunters and Lee 380 gr. R.E.A.L.'s to no avail. The slow twist is really designed for the round ball.

Good Luck--Rick

piwo
03-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Piwo,

With a 1-66 twist .54 I would just use the round ball. My Lyman Plains rifle with 66" twist is at it's best with a RB over 90gr. of 3f Goex. I tried maxi's, maxi-hunters and Lee 380 gr. R.E.A.L.'s to no avail. The slow twist is really designed for the round ball.

Good Luck--Rick

Yeah, lookin that way. I knew going in it was going to be a longshot, but you don't know till ya try.......

44man
03-12-2007, 10:23 PM
You will never get any boolit to shoot from that twist. It is a round ball rifle, period. You will be amazed with the accuracy, killing power and range you will get also. You need the proper size balls and patch material plus a good lube like Young Country. Once you find this out, you will never look back.

piwo
03-12-2007, 10:57 PM
You will never get any boolit to shoot from that twist. It is a round ball rifle, period. You will be amazed with the accuracy, killing power and range you will get also. You need the proper size balls and patch material plus a good lube like Young Country. Once you find this out, you will never look back.

I appreciate your candor, and I pretty much believed that from the start. Others have indicated here to the contrary of your position, and on the chance I could find one to shoot for me, then the time was not wasted. Come to think about it, I didn't find one to shoot and the time was not wasted. I've had 5 wonderful days at the range this winter, so I'm a winner........:-D
I'll most likely try to fix this in my next project..... :drinks:

versifier
03-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Hey, it never hurts to try, then you KNOW. Each barrel is a universe unto itself. There's no edible critter in these parts that a .530rb won't take care of, and they're a little easier on your shoulder, too. I try every combo I can find when a get a new m/l to play with. Some barrels defy logic and also shoot decent groups with other than what their twist rates would suggest as optimum, some are picky and behave as predicted, and some pattern instead of grouping no matter what you try. But only your barrel can tell you.