PDA

View Full Version : J C Higgins model 50 mauser

Pioneer2
01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Anyone own or shoot one of these guns? they were FN made actions with chrome lined High Standard barrels made for Sears Roebuck.Made in .270 + 30-06.Have one coming in 30-06 this week....looking for sights fore and aft .......Harold

skeettx
01-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Try here

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=9563

Yes, some sold out but you can add you name to the list AND they also show the receiver sight number

Mike

Cornfused
02-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Lucky guy!

The FN Mauser was maybe the best Mauser version. Savor it.

WILCO
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Anyone own or shoot one of these guns?

Here's one in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgfutJHzEx4

atr
02-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Yes I had one of these from Sears in 30-06. Very accurate shooter. I wish I still had it but sold it many years ago to help finance my college education. It was the first 30-06 I owned, scoped it with a good 4x. I couldn't miss with that rifle.....sure brings back memories

UT Phoneguy
02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Great rifle- brings back memories. My dad still has his in 30-06, I got to handle it the other day. I always wanted one in .270 to complete the set. It is the only rifle I have known that wasn't too picky, but when you find a load it likes- wow!

Enjoy that fine rifle- I know two people who have enjoyed packing one around these mountains...

Pioneer2
02-08-2012, 08:51 PM
The knucklehead i got it from milled off 1//2 the front sight ramp and tossed the rear sight along with removing a small layer of stock for a rear aperture which he kept.Totally restoreable and bore looks mint.Will likely put a blank in the rear sight slot and remove what's left of the front ramp.Would like to replace trigger with a Timney and get a hinged floorplate for the bottom metal.

Pioneer2
03-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Well I picked up a matching one in .270 today.I love mausers.Will be Christmas gifts for two of my oldest boys later this year.........Harold

W.R.Buchanan
03-26-2012, 09:51 PM
I have a Husqvarna rifle.30-06 made in 1951 that is essentially the same gun. Is your gun drilled and tapped on the right side of the rear receiver ring for a Lyman 48M sight? It should be.

I would suggest hitting the Lyman sight market on Ebay. I have bought several off there for $75 or less. It would not be cool to use either a Williams or new non steel Lyman sight on that gun.

You will probably have to modify the stock to allow the sight to be installed. I removed mine last year and installed a Weaver KV 2-5x variable. My gun had a high comb/cheekpiece and it didn't facilitate using the Lyman sight very well. I didn't want to change the stock so I just mounted a scope. My scope is essentially junk so I am looking for a nice Leupold to replace it.

Randy

Pioneer2
03-27-2012, 10:50 AM
The 06 is drilled and tapped on the right side for an aperture but the .270 is not.I'll be scoping both anyways.Also the hole pattern for scoping is different.The 06 takes standard Burris one piece base and the .270 has the correct spacing on the receiver and the same space on the rear.Not uncommon from what I've read. Talley makes bases for the odd setup.Also have factory steel two piece dovetail mts that serve no purpose.Refinishing both stocks as they were poorly done.The trigger is another matter.A two piece affair that is very spongy.Probably Timneys for these.......... http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k606/mbogo3/P3230401.jpg

Dorf
03-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Can anyone answer a question concerning the triggers on these M50's? Mine has a different trigger mechanism from the one shown on Pioneer2's rifle. I'm not sure what it is but it ain't standard M98 type. In fact it looks a lot like a M70 Win. Anybody shed any light on this? THX, Stan

skeettx
03-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Stan
Do you have a picture??

HangFireW8
03-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Great rifles with one caveat. Whoever first wrote "slug the bore" was writing about FN Model 50's. The 30's like mine come out a perfect .3100". They had even wackier ideas about what a 270 should be.

HF

mstarling
03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
These are some of the nicest commercial Mauser actions made.

I have three actions. One is in .270 Win w the original 22" barrel. I've redone two other actions with Douglas barrels. One is in .376/.416 Steyr Improved (.416 Aagard) and the other is in 338-06.

I've used Timney triggers on all of them.

The .270 has original sights and the other two are scoped only ... with custom mounts made to look like double square bridges. Originally bought the .270 with the intention of building a boomer with it. Made the mistake of shooting it. Can't take an MOA rifle apart.

Great actions!

Dorf
03-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Skeetx-- Sorry for the panic! I just opened the old girl up and it's the same as the one in the previous post. " Just shows to go ya' " what happens when ol' phartz try to rely on memory. :-) Stan.

Pioneer2
03-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Would make a dandy 9.3x62 I'm thinking?

frnkeore
03-29-2012, 05:03 PM
I have a 270 take off barrel for the Model 50, in excellent condition, with the front sight. PM me if interested.

Frank

azrednek
03-29-2012, 05:38 PM
I got one a few years ago at a pawn shop going out of business sale. With the Bubba'd stock and some back and forth negotiations. I got it dirt cheap. It was less than 200 out the door. I put the JC Higgins marked leather sling on Ebay and made out like a bandit, cashing in on a bidding war.

I had big plans for it. Intending to use the FN action, re-stock it, Timney trigger and re-barrel into a 35Whelen. After shooting it and being totally impressed or more correctly said surprised. I decided to leave it as is. With the additional space moving the irons out a few inches. The sights come into near perfect focus for my 61 year old eyes. It goes along on hunting trips strictly as a back-up in case somebody's rifle or scope goes south. Instead I used a Czech 98/22 to build my 35 Whelen.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/jc-2.jpg

Just in case you're looking if you want to restore it to it's 1960's appearance. There is somebody here in Phoenix that has a vintage 60's JC Higgins 4X scope he claims is Weaver manufactured for sale. Don't know if it is still for sale but if you're interested I'll look for the ad.

azrednek
03-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Would like to replace trigger with a Timney and get a hinged floorplate for the bottom metal.

Mine and all I have seen had hinged floor plates. The JC Penny's Foremost version built on the FN also had hinged floor plates. I suspect the seller may have substituted it before he sold it to you. Mine also has an adjustable trigger. The trigger looks very typical of the era and not anywhere near the quality of a Timney. Mine is nice and crisp and I didn't fool with the adjustment.

EDIT: My apologies, I was mistaken. My Model 50 does not have a hinged floor plate. It does have a button making it easy to drop the plate. I mixed it up with my Santa Barbra Mauser actions. I'll post pictures in a few minutes and double check the trigger.

azrednek
03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Sorry for my state of confusion. Guess I'm going to have to tell the wife to be a bit more gentle in my Saturday night beatings before I go completely brain dead.

This is what I mixed up the Model 50 with. A Santa Barbra Mauser action. It has hinged floor plate and adjustable trigger.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/338-6.jpg

This is my Bubba'd Model 50. I fell asleep recently at the wheel as somebody had a Model 50 stock on Ebay and I let it get away. I can only speculate why the previous owner used what looks like Bondo to make the spacer. The additional space brings the irons into focus.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/TracySmith063.jpg

Not a hinged floor plate but unlike military Mausers, this one drops very easy with the extended button.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/TracySmith058.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/TracySmith059.jpg
The trigger is not adjustable. It is an unusual two piece set-up. Mine is crisp and breaks guesstimate wise about 4lbs.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/TracySmith062.jpg
The 2-piece trigger opens up the can of worms. If you change the mag assy to a hinged floor plate you will have to replace the trigger assy as the lower part of the trigger is pinned to the mag assy.

This is why myself and many others prefer the FN action. The factory installed and fit firing pin block safety is my hands down favorite over the trigger block safety. On two occasions having another Mauser go bang lowering the bolt with a Timney Trigger, installed by McGowen Barrel I might add. Being that Timney is local. Mr Timney the founder's son fixed it for me. Despite never having a problem since I took the sick Mauser to Timney. I just can't bring myself to trust a trigger block safety. Friend of mine had the same problem with Bold brand trigger.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/TracySmith061.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/TracySmith064.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/TracySmith065.jpg

EDIT: If you're going to install a 30MM scope you may not have sufficient clearance for the bolt to cycle. Before you shell out big bux for a scope make sure you have enough clearance. You may need high rise mounts.

tenx
04-21-2012, 03:59 AM
Just missed buying one some time ago, did a little research and if memory serves correctly the barrels were chrome lined, don't know why, but you don't see many commercial rifles, especially bolt guns with chrome lined barrels.

TCLouis
04-21-2012, 12:33 PM
If you have one with a trigger like a model 70, you may have the model 53, not model 50.

Model 53 is a blind box model 70.

JD9620
06-29-2013, 09:34 PM
I have one of these in 30-06 that I got from my dad 25 years ago. He got it from my grampa. It is my goto gun. I have shot everything from spritzers to 200gr bullets. For the most part I could find a load that would get me to 2 to 3 inch groups but have never found a ''wow'' load. Any help would be great.
Thanks Matt

richhodg66
06-29-2013, 10:32 PM
I bought one a few months ago in .270 as a potential rebarrel project. I've only had it to the range once so far, but the initial results with Winchester factory 140 grain loads was so good, I don't have the heart to rebarrel it now.

azrednek
06-30-2013, 02:12 AM
I bought one a few months ago in .270 as a potential rebarrel project. I've only had it to the range once so far, but the initial results with Winchester factory 140 grain loads was so good, I don't have the heart to rebarrel it now.

Exactly the same feeling I had a few months after buying mine. I remarked to my shooting bud that was with me when I bought it. "I see a 35 Whelen". Mine is a 30/06. After launching some Korean and Greek surplus 06 through it. Bench rested shooting through the irons. First round at 100 yards and the final 5 rds out to 200. It was a loud "holy cow" when I looked through the spotting scope. Simply NO WAY will I re-barrel it.

I recently got a local deal on a 1960's 6X Weaver scope. I'm considering using it on the Model 50. I've previously followed up on two JC Higgins marked scopes being sold locally. One was a later model Jap mfd with what felt like a plastic tube. The other Higgins marked 4X Weaver manufactured. The seller claimed it came with his deceased father's Model 50. I just couldn't pay his 125 firm price and he stood firm on the price. I called a few days later intending to up my offer to 100. He told me he already sold it for 120. The seller was going to look for the original scope mounts but I never heard from him.

cacman
09-15-2015, 04:10 AM
Hello all.
Please excuse me being new to this forum, and if this question has been asked and answered.

Purchased a JC Higgins Model 51-L 30-06 back in the 1980's from a member of the local Moose club for $75. Since then have had it glass-beaded for a matte finish, removed the front & rear sights for a cleaner look with scope and less "snag" without the front sight in the field, and had the original trigger reduced to 3-1/2lb pull. The original stock split while shooting last year. Wanting to keep it as original as possible, had the stock refurbished, reinforced, and the action/barrel rebedded by a reputable/trustworthy gunsmith in AZ. I'm practically cutting holes while sighting-in at 100yrds using 165gr Federal Fusion.

My question is in regards to the front swivel mount? There wasn't any swivel bases mounted when purchased, or received from the gunsmith after the stock refurbish. The 3/4" wood-screw base fits perfectly in the butt of the stock. But the 1/2" wood-screw base is not fitting within the forearm easily. I'm hoping not to have unbed the barrel to seat the front swivel correctly with a bolt underneath the barrel. But I can't find the info in the original Sears documents supplied with the rifle.

Hoping not to take it to the gunsmith and have the barrel rebedded just for a swivel mount after all the work getting it sighted-in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My first Elk season in CO is 4-weeks out. Thanks in advance for any help.

As a side note: Replaced the original 4x9 Weaver scope with a Bushnell Trophy XLT DOA 600 4x12 scope. Still have the original 4x9 Weaver scope. The rifle is not much to speak of or high-end, but shot my first deer with this old Higgins and hoping to shoot my first Elk with it too.

azrednek
09-15-2015, 02:59 PM
If I remember right the front swivel does not use a conventional wood screw. I believe there is/was a nut the front threaded into. Illness prevents me from digging up my original stock. Possibly later today. Watch for private messages and I'll see if I can send some pictures. If you're not concerned about keeping it original you might consider installing a swivel on the barrel.

Feel free to linkup with me via private messenger to exchange email.

atr
09-15-2015, 05:16 PM
About a year ago purchased two of them, both 30-06...both very good shooters. Replaced the triggers is all I had to do. I figured for an average price of $375.00 I couldn't go wrong.

Tenbender
09-15-2015, 06:02 PM
I have 3 of them. 2, 30 06's and 1, 270. Don't plan on parting with any of them or ever cutting them up. :D

flounderman
09-15-2015, 09:18 PM
The front swivel stud is a machine bolt- nut with the nut counter sunk inside the fore end

woodbutcher
09-16-2015, 12:08 AM
:-D Had a Sears Mod 53 in 30-06.Glass bedded with Brownels AcraGlass(R).K4 Weaver with duplex reticle.The only load that I ever shot in it was 58 grains of IMR 4831,150 gr Sierra spitzer seated to the over all length of the 1966 LC match round,using 66 LC match cases.Primers were Winchester or CCI std LR. Would group all day 3 shots in 3/8 inch.Could put 20 rds into 9/16 in all day long any day.Like an ***,I let it get away from me.Oh yeah.I was paying 90 cents a pound for the powder in 10 pound case lots.The old Hodgens stuff.That was back about the day after Noah grounded the Ark.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Geezer in NH
09-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Sweet rifle made on the FN Supreme action. Buying it as a Sears 50 you will steal the action at 1/2 price.

azrednek
09-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Sweet rifle made on the FN Supreme action. Buying it as a Sears 50 you will steal the action at 1/2 price.

The price of the Higgins have been creeping upward since an article in Gun N Ammo renewed their popularity. Rifles from that era from Sears competitors Ward's Western Field, Western Auto's Revalation, and JC Penny's Formost brand can still be had at a good price. The competitive rifles assembled by Parker Hale didn't have the super sweet FN action and the chrome lined bore but still had the 1950 and 60's quality and walnut stocks.

Herb in Pa
09-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Colt also used FN actions on their Model 57 model. Mine was originally chambered in 243 Winchester, but was rebarelled in the mid 70's to 7mm-08 with a Douglas airgage. The plastic gripcap and foreend have been replaced with Goncolo Alves. Shoots both cast and jacketed very well...........

opos
09-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Maybe someone here can help me out...some years ago I bought a Sears J. C. Higgins 30-06 that was built on a 1917 Winchester Enfield action...it's 1917 all the way (I had a sporter 1917 back in the day). I have heard Sears had a company in Chicago mill the ears off the receiver, drill and tap, put the action and barrel in a "sporter stock")...has a Ted Williams fixed 4x scope and it shoots great..still has the "dog leg" bolt handle..has the bumped floor plate removed and the stock is a blind magazine so 1 round less than the 1917 had as a military rifle...I think Remington had some 1917's "sporterized" and sold them as a budget rifle called a 310...but I have no idea what this Sears model number is...I know about the FN's, there were some built on a Model 70 and the ones built on the Winchester 1917's..just never knew what model number Sears gave to this one...any help much appreciated..

Thanks

skeettx
09-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Hello opos

The Remington rifle was the Model 30.

What are the markings on your rifle??

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Brand-Cross-Reference.htm?page=8

Mike

opos
09-21-2015, 10:49 PM
Hello opos

The Remington rifle was the Model 30.

What are the markings on your rifle??

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Brand-Cross-Reference.htm?page=8

Mike

The scope mount covers any serial number or markings..they are on the top of the front receiver ring...I can see the Winchester name but that's it...is there anywhere else to look that you might know of? I've had the rifle out of the stock to see if there was anything marked there but didn't see anything...guess I could "un mount" the scope and base but I've got it sighted in dead on and hate to disturb it...but I would like to know anything about it I can...I did see one that was identical on a board several years back...the man that had it didn't have any info other than what I have...it was an exact copy right down to the horizontal post across the stock at the recoil lug, etc.

This (as was his) is still the original cock on closing set up and I believe the barrel is original..it's like new...I have a feeling these were either NOS or re arsenal action/barrels and then worked over by the firm in Chicago...it's bluing is perfect and the barrel has been shortened just a bit and no sights (other than the scope set up).