PDA

View Full Version : Rowell ladles. Talk to me, please.

Recluse
01-31-2012, 08:10 PM
I've used a Lyman ladle since almost Day One and have no beefs whatsoever with it.

But I'm getting that itch. . .

Since plugging the Lee Drip-O-Matic and going to straight ladle casting, casting has actually never been easier in the past few years. (ProMelt spoiled me and will put another one on the casting table. In the meantime, however, ladle casting.)

In looking at RotoMetals website, they have a great selection of Rowell ladles and I'm a big believer in supporter our forum sponsors.

I see some ladles that hold over four pounds of lead. :holysheep I can already imagine what that would do for my arthritis.

I'm thinking a two-pound ladle would be more than sufficient. The heaviest boolit I cast is around 255 grains and in a two-banger, so two pounds would be more than ample to give me good pressure (if needed) and still hold ambient temperature.

Thoughts, advice?

Much appreciated.

:coffee:

DistRifle
01-31-2012, 08:26 PM
I have the #2 ladle. I usually bottom pour. But, I have used it to cast a few. You can fill a 6 cavity without refilling the ladle. If the handle were shorter, it would be better. It screws on, so it could be shortened if you cut and re-thread one end. The spout is more like a tea pot than the normal lyman/rcbs spout. So, it might be a challenge to pressure cast with it.

Slowpoke
02-01-2012, 12:00 AM
I think your arm would thank you if you got the #1

The #1 will do a six cavity 230gr , no problem.

Shorten the handle and your arm will thank you even more.

good luck

Recluse
02-01-2012, 01:39 AM
I think your arm would thank you if you got the #1

The #1 will do a six cavity 230gr , no problem.

Shorten the handle and your arm will thank you even more.

good luck

Good advice and both I and my arm thank you in advance.

:coffee:

EDK
02-01-2012, 01:58 AM
BALLISTI-CAST is also a sponsor. They list a ladle for $15 plus S&H. If It is the same unit as my H&G from Oregon...still going strong, but battered from 30+ years of use...I'd buy another one in a heart beat. In fact, I'll call them in the morning because if I lost this one, I'd be up the creek without a paddle. My LYMAN and RCBS are only used for 45 and 50 caliber rifle boolits.

I MIGHT get a bottom pour pot for pistol boolits, but my luck with them in the past wasn't too good. My in-expensive LEE MAGNUM MELTER...can't call something that works as well as it does CHEAP!...has been great for all my casting for several years...I can't remember how long ago I got it, but it was from GRAFS in Mexico MO...another sponsor.

:2gunsfiring_v1::redneck::cbpour:

BCall
02-01-2012, 04:02 AM
The heaviest boolit I cast is around 255 grains and in a two-banger, so two pounds would be more than ample to give me good pressure (if needed) and still hold ambient temperature.

Thoughts, advice?

I don't know how you would pressure pour with a Rowell ladle unless there is some technique I don't know?

The smallest one is plenty IMO, although I rarely use mine unless casting large 45-70 boolits.

Bret4207
02-01-2012, 07:14 AM
1lbs model will fill a 10 cav H+G 148 gr or 260 grain 6 banger. Gotta shorten the handle at that.

PbHurler
02-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Gotta agree with Slowpoke & Bret, I would think the #1 (1lb.) would be right up your alley, as well as shortening the handle.

cbrick
02-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Get the #1, I have #1, #2 & #5. 5 is for smelting 100 pounds or so and would be a complete waste trying to cast with it, it's even a bit large for pouring my 5 pound ingots but does work. I use #1 for most bullets including all 1-2-3 cav molds. I use the #2 for large bullets in 4+ cavs but I do pour a very generous sprue puddle. For your mid size bullets in 2 cavs the #1 is plenty and heed the advice to shorten the handle.

I don't ever pressure pour even on rare occasions when I bottom pour, just never found a need to.

Rick

dromia
02-05-2012, 04:22 AM
Concur on the 1lb ladle, that's my go to for dipping. You do get a good volume pour that gives me good fill out in most of my moulds, some others prefer more of a trickle, swirling off the edge of the sprue plate hole. I dip nearly all my boolits over 32 cal. The 1lb ladle also holds enough metal to keep the alloy hot enough for long pours into big or multiple cavity moulds. I have arthritis in my hands and shoulder but can cast for an hour at a time with out discomfort, which is long enough for me at a sitting anyway.