PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of an Irag Vet

Boz330
01-31-2012, 05:25 PM
An old friend who is a Nam Combat Vet with the 173rd Airborne sent me this. I thought I would put it up for thoughts as I'm not a Combat Vet.

I Miss Iraq. I Miss My Gun. I Miss My War.
A year after coming home from a tour in Iraq, a soldier returns home to find out he left something behind.
By Brian Mockenhaupt
A few months ago, I found a Web site loaded with pictures and videos from Iraq, the sort that usually aren't seen on the news. I watched insurgent snipers shoot American soldiers and car bombs disintegrate markets, accompanied by tinny music and loud, rhythmic chanting, the soundtrack of the propaganda campaigns. Video cameras focused on empty stretches of road, building anticipation. Humvees rolled into view and the explosions brought mushroom clouds of dirt and smoke and chunks of metal spinning through the air. Other videos and pictures showed insurgents shot dead while planting roadside bombs or killed in firefights and the remains of suicide bombers, people how they're not meant to be seen, no longer whole. The images sickened me, but their familiarity pulled me in, giving comfort, and I couldn't stop. I clicked through more frames, hungry for it. This must be what a shot of dope feels like after a long stretch of sobriety. Soothing and nauseating and colored by everything that has come before. My body tingled and my stomach ached, hollow. I stood on weak legs and walked into the kitchen to make dinner. I sliced half an onion before putting the knife down and watching slight tremors run through my hand. The shakiness lingered. I drank a beer. And as I leaned against this kitchen counter, in this house, in America, my life felt very foreign.
I've been home from Iraq for more than a year, long enough for my time there to become a memory best forgotten for those who worried every day that I was gone. I could see their relief when I returned. Life could continue, with futures not so uncertain. But in quiet moments, their relief brought me guilt. Maybe they assume I was as overjoyed to be home as they were to have me home. Maybe they assume if I could do it over, I never would have gone. And maybe I wouldn't have. But I miss Iraq. I miss the war. I miss war. And I have a very hard time understanding why.
I'm glad to be home, to have put away my uniforms, to wake up next to my wife each morning. I worry about my friends who are in Iraq now, and I wish they weren't. Often I hated being there, when the frustrations and lack of control over my life were complete and mind-bending. I questioned my role in the occupation and whether good could come of it. I wondered if it was worth dying or killing for. The suffering and ugliness I saw disgusted me. But war twists and shifts the landmarks by which we navigate our lives, casting light on darkened areas that for many people remain forever unexplored. And once those darkened spaces are lit, they become part of us. At a party several years ago, long before the Army, I listened to a friend who had served several years in the Marines tell a woman that if she carried a pistol for a day, just tucked in her waistband and out of sight, she would feel different. She would see the world differently, for better or worse. Guns empower. She disagreed and he shrugged. No use arguing the point; he was just offering a little piece of truth. He was right, of course. And that's just the beginning.
I've spent hours taking in the world through a rifle scope, watching life unfold. Women hanging laundry on a rooftop. Men haggling over a hindquarter of lamb in the market. Children walking to school. I've watched this and hoped that someday I would see that my presence had made their lives better, a redemption of sorts. But I also peered through the scope waiting for someone to do something wrong, so I could shoot him. When you pick up a weapon with the intent of killing, you step onto a very strange and serious playing field. Every morning someone wakes wanting to kill you. When you walk down the street, they are waiting, and you want to kill them, too. That's not bloodthirsty; that's just the trade you've learned. And as an American soldier, you have a very impressive toolbox. You can fire your rifle or lob a grenade, and if that's not enough, call in the tanks, or helicopters, or jets. The insurgents have their skill sets, too, turning mornings at the market into chaos, crowds into scattered flesh, Humvees into charred scrap. You're all part of the terrible magic show, both powerful and helpless.
That men are drawn to war is no surprise. How old are boys before they turn a finger and thumb into a pistol? Long before they love girls, they love war, at least everything they imagine war to be: guns and explosions and manliness and courage. When my neighbors and I played war as kids, there was no fear or sorrow or cowardice. Death was temporary, usually as fast as you could count to sixty and jump back into the game. We didn't know yet about the darkness. And young men are just slightly older versions of those boys, still loving the unknown, perhaps pumped up on dreams of duty and heroism and the intoxicating power of weapons. In time, war dispels many such notions, and more than a few men find that being freed from society's professed revulsion to killing is really no freedom at all, but a lonely burden. Yet even at its lowest points, war is like nothing else. Our culture craves experience, and that is war's strong suit. War peels back the skin, and you live with a layer of nerves exposed, overdosing on your surroundings, when everything seems all wrong and just right, in a way that makes perfect sense. And then you almost die but don't, and are born again, stoned on life and mocking death. The explosions and gunfire fry your nerves, but you want to hear them all the same. Something's going down.
For those who know, this is the open secret: War is exciting. Sometimes I was in awe of this, and sometimes I felt low and mean for loving it, but I loved it still. Even in its quiet moments, war is brighter, louder, brasher, more fun, more tragic, more wasteful. More. More of everything. And even then I knew I would someday miss it, this life so strange. Today the war has distilled to moments and feelings, and somewhere in these memories is the reason for the wistfulness.
On one mission we slip away from our trucks and into the night. I lead the patrol through the darkness, along canals and fields and into the town, down narrow, hard-packed dirt streets. Everyone has gone to bed, or is at least inside. We peer through gates and over walls into courtyards and into homes. In a few rooms TVs flicker. A woman washes dishes in a tub. Dogs bark several streets away. No one knows we are in the street, creeping. We stop at intersections, peek around corners, training guns on parked cars, balconies, and storefronts. All empty. We move on. From a small shop up ahead, we hear men's voices and laughter. Maybe they used to sit outside at night, but now they are indoors, where it's safe. Safer. The sheet-metal door opens and a man steps out, cigarette and lighter in hand. He still wears a smile, takes in the cool night air, and then nearly falls backward through the doorway in a panic. I'm a few feet from him now and his eyes are wide. I mutter a greeting and we walk on, back into the darkness.

Bob

Got-R-Did
01-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Incredible! This captures/conveys the feelings behind the look in my Brother's eyes since his return from Iraq after three tours. He is now retired and slowly ( if never fully) returning to the man he used to be.
Thank You for sharing.
Got-R-Did.

waksupi
01-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Powerful.

Recluse
01-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Like Charlie Daniels once sang. . . "Still in Saigon."

If people only knew what veterans give up.

:coffee:

starreloader
01-31-2012, 06:23 PM
None of us who have ever been in combat can fully put those "feelings" to rest.. Those "feelings" while tucked deep in the back of our mind will shake themselves loose when something, someplace or someone causes a "moment in time" to come back to you with all the horrors and excitment of that time long ago.. Those ghosts of the past are always with you.

11th Marines, Nam '66 to '68

ErikO
01-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Every day I wake up with ten fingers, ten toes and a family that loves me I thank the Navy doc that marked me 'unfit' back in '90. I was five pounds away from being hopefully one of the lucky bastard EOD guys during Desert Shield/Storm.

"Blessed are the warriors, for they alonel understand peace"

Don't be too upset when those like me don't understand those like you. We never can. All we can do is be greatful that rough and ready men in the night are ready if not willing to do terrible things in our name.

bruce drake
01-31-2012, 06:59 PM
You serve, You live, you laugh, you share little things and cry together over the loss of a friend. But in the end you strap your pack on your back and return home knowing you now live for the men and women who didn't come home with you on the plane.

I live for those who have given their all and by my daily actions, I can move forward from the violence I have seen and have dealt out.

Bruce

hardcase54
01-31-2012, 08:01 PM
44 years from now he will still feel the same.

HardColt
01-31-2012, 09:10 PM
You leave the theater of operation but the memories linger on.

MtGun44
01-31-2012, 09:11 PM
It meshes with Churchill's much shorter comment "Nothing is so exhilarating in life as to be shot at with no result."

This is extremely well written, insightful and very powerful. It helps those of us that have not been in
combat to understand a bit more what it is like.

Having carried a gun everywhere I go outside of work for a number of years, the comment about carrying a gun
changing you is correct. Of course this is just theoretical for me, and only a faintest taste of what the combat
soldier must feel.

Bill

x101airborne
01-31-2012, 10:14 PM
4 combat tours
3 continents
Endless nightmares.

I can still remember the hatred of 9-11. Being in a foreign country that did not want us to begin with and having your homeland terrorized. My birthday is 9-12.

I remember my mother and father crying again and again when I would call. Only thankful I was still alive.

I remember the guilt. And the second guessing what happened. Lasts only too long.

I remember the friendship of another soldier. Count on him / her. There to the end.

I have had my rear saved, and I have saved rears. Both stick with you.

My friends still carry shrapnel in their bodies. Blown out knees. Shoulders that will never heal from carrying packs for weeks on end. The pack is gone, but the weight remains. Lungs burned from SCUD missels loaded with whatever our government will not admit to. And now unable to draw disability or Social Secirity when illegal immigrants get it automatically.

The smell of the sulfur pits and the bodies. The acrid stench of decaying flesh. The bodies strewn about without someone to care for them. The blessed dead? More like the tormented dead.

The constant threat of IED's, dissentary, insects, snipers, kids with hand grenades. And what can one do? Not a dang thing. Suck it up, ruck up, and move out.

I have lived it. Sometimes I miss it. And for the rest of my life I will wake up in a cold sweat swinging my fists screaming.

THAT is the sacrifice of a soldier. Those who are critical or insensitive of it have no right to live under the protection of it. GOD bless our dead. GOD bless our living dead. And GOD bless those who take our place for Freedom's sake.

TinCan Assassin
01-31-2012, 11:35 PM
Afghanistan. Flocking moon dust, everywhere, on everything. The Poo Pond smell. The Burn Pit. Getting rocketed. You get home, and your first though when you see an unattended bag is "Clear out and call EOD," not "I should find a Lost and Found." Hitting the deck in a thunderstorm. Keeping an eye on someone just because the look like Haji. Jackhammers in a construction zone sound like AK's on full auto. Takes me back to when we got ground attacked. I've been home for a year and a half. And I was just a Trans FOBbit. Would I go back if I could? Maybe. Getting out of the Guard soon though. Still carry, every day, even at home.

TCA

Frank46
02-01-2012, 12:09 AM
God bless all of you. Your words really hit home. Frank

missionary5155
02-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Good morning
Everytime I smell " Cherry Juice" ... A white painted interrior, the sound of the turret motor, the constant rattle,clank,sway, bounce.... watching the world through a vision block.. the thrill of reaching with the left hand to the little red button on the manual elevation control. Watching out of the corner of the left eye that huge black breachblock and barrel recoil...
The memories never leave... Too those Treadheads who did not get to kiss the tarmack. Armor 71-74
Mike in Peru

Echo
02-01-2012, 10:40 AM
All of us who have never been in combat owe a great debt to those who were, a debt that cannot ever be adequately repaid.

Reload3006
02-01-2012, 11:16 AM
They say time heals all wounds But it really doesn't it merely dulls the pain. Thank you for your sacrifice I just hope everyone understands that the sacrifice is not over as long as the warrior is alive

shdwlkr
02-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I am an old man and studying to be a mental health counselor to veterans. Why because I am one of them and this is the best description I have ever read of what it feels to be in harms way. Today after almost 35 years when I hear a military helicopter or an A10 I have to find it before I can settle down. Some things just never change and won't as long as I draw breath.
There are some things I remember one that is like a nightmare as it only goes so far and then I wake up not knowing the ending. It has been that way for many decades and will slowly fade from memory as I replace it with different memories.
The lost of my kids in my life since my divorce, not hearing them laugh or the curiosity in finding something they want to study more. Yes have been in the military changes things and then even that leaves us with only thoughts and questions.

insanelupus
02-01-2012, 11:25 AM
http://www.esquire.com/features/essay/ESQ0307ESSAY

The full article.

Char-Gar
02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I have never been in combat, unless you consider getting shot at by the Mexican police in 1958 combat, which I do not. I was just running as fast as I could down a dark alley with bullets whizzing by me.

In my 40 years as a Pastor, I have had the opportunity to have many combat veterans come into my office and "unburden" themselves. They are Vets from WWII to Iraq. The one thing I took away from it, is they all have been changed for life due to their experiences. I can't begin to understand their experience, but it has always been a life changer. They don't come home and pick up where they left.

I am not one of those who believe that combat is a natural state for the human race. It is often a necessary and honorable thing to do, but it does go against the way we are wound, and they pay a price. That is why I honor them and hold them in high esteem.

44fanatic
02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I am thankful for only having few bad memories being able to sleep peacefully at night with no nightmares. My prayers go out to the families of those who have been killed and wounded and I pray that a peace may find those who do have nightmares. I was the guy who worked to support the warfighter, giving them the best information my team could so that they, the infantrymen, tankers, truck drivers could kill the enemy and complete their mission safely. I worked behind a computer and had air conditioning, my life was easy, yet not immune to the realities of war.

I miss the lifestyle, the friendships, the sense of accomplishment and being part of a team. I worry about my old soldiers who are still in and wonder who is in Iraq or Afghanistan. Its been two years since I retired and miss it dearly.

montana_charlie
02-01-2012, 03:13 PM
When I first read the OP I got short of breath. Somebody finally got it. Somebody finally F'ing got it.
Have you been thinking you were the only one ... that you were alone?
You have never been alone, youngster. People (here) 'got it' a long time ago, and they know better than to 'want it' again.

I 'got it', served another thirteen years, and retired the same year you were born.
A bunch of us 'got it' back around that same time ... but not everybody can (or needs to) put it into words like the op did.

CM

gunfan
02-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Someone finally put into print the experience of the American Sailor/Soldier/Marine.

I'm an old Navy vet, and have worked in Armed Security. It is only different because it is "Stateside."

Thanks

Scott

x101airborne
02-01-2012, 10:46 PM
What I really appreciated is how when I got home, I was called humorless..... cold and insensitive. An introvert and an extremist. Could not fit in. Not a "Team" player. No tolerance for office politics. Carry a 44 bulldog on my hip at home cause I'm "crazy". When you are called an "extremist" in south east Texas, brother, you have truly moved up.

blackthorn
02-02-2012, 12:01 PM
X101airborne-----A label you can wear with pride!!!

Char-Gar
02-02-2012, 12:19 PM
What I really appreciated is how when I got home, I was called humorless..... cold and insensitive. An introvert and an extremist. Could not fit in. Not a "Team" player. No tolerance for office politics. Carry a 44 bulldog on my hip at home cause I'm "crazy". When you are called an "extremist" in south east Texas, brother, you have truly moved up.

What some folks call "crazy" others of us will call "being wised up" by the experiences of life with others.

Jeffrey
02-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Not a Vet, couldn't pass the physical, tried. Thank you all for your sacrifices and service. Understand there is little more a civilian can say. May you find happiness. Jeffrey

DCP
02-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Bump

Back to the top

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.

All gave some, Some gave all

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.