PDA

View Full Version : Homemade sprue knocker, spill-proof Bullplate, thermometer

Recluse
01-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Long time ago when I bought my first Lee/aluminum mold, I was looking for a sprue knocker that would be "easy" on it. I don't like idea of whacking on things anyway. I looked at the wooden pieces, rawhide mallets I had for leatherworking, rubber mallets, etc.

Decided to just flat make one--and make one I did. It's uglier than an empty glass of buttermilk, but purely functional. I made it flat so I could align the mold for closing after dropping boolits. The leather stripping is wrapped around the "hammer" portion and absorbs impact but still knocks the sprue off. I drilled some holes in the "hammer" portion of it and filled them with lead to give it some more punch.

Cost? $0.00

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=4874

Next to it is my $12 casting thermometer I got from Surplus Center several years ago. With shipping and handling, I think I ended up paying less than $16 for the whole kit and kaboodle.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=4875

Bullplate spilling? Been there like everyone else. Found an easy, cheap, no cost solution. Works like a charm.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=4871

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=4872

:coffee:

jlm223
01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
I like the sprue knocker, it's not that ugly, I have had a few beers tonight.

cajun shooter
02-02-2012, 07:03 PM
The bottle that the bullplate is in, may still be knocked over.
I posted over a year ago a fool proof holder as I'm a person who can make spill proof spill.
I took a 2x6 and cut a 6 inch piece with a cutout for the bottle. No spills

mooman76
02-02-2012, 08:20 PM
I put a new cap on my lube container. The kind that has a little pop up spout like on a shampoo bottle. It is kind of an odd size so I had trouble finding one but it works good and if it's knocked over only a small about or none will spill before you pick it up plus it's easy to despence a small amount.
For the knocker I use a small plastic headed mallet. I seen someone else using one and it works real good.

Catshooter
02-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Recluse,

I want a couple of those thermometers. Where do I go?

Cat

JesterGrin_1
02-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Long time ago when I bought my first Lee/aluminum mold, I was looking for a sprue knocker that would be "easy" on it. I don't like idea of whacking on things anyway. I looked at the wooden pieces, rawhide mallets I had for leatherworking, rubber mallets, etc.

Decided to just flat make one--and make one I did. It's uglier than an empty glass of buttermilk, but purely functional. I made it flat so I could align the mold for closing after dropping boolits. The leather stripping is wrapped around the "hammer" portion and absorbs impact but still knocks the sprue off. I drilled some holes in the "hammer" portion of it and filled them with lead to give it some more punch.

Cost? $0.00

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=4874

Next to it is my $12 casting thermometer I got from Surplus Center several years ago. With shipping and handling, I think I ended up paying less than $16 for the whole kit and kaboodle.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=4875

Bullplate spilling? Been there like everyone else. Found an easy, cheap, no cost solution. Works like a charm.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=4871

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=252&pictureid=4872

Recluse I may have to make you a sprue knocker When I have a chance lol. My Gosh lol. This is one I sent to Ken 45Nut But it is a bit too Heavy DUTY unless you double it as a Head Knocker lol.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0041-1.jpg

tomme boy
02-03-2012, 12:24 AM
I use a piece of PVC 1" for my knocker. Works perfect.

Recluse
02-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Recluse,

I want a couple of those thermometers. Where do I go?

Cat

I got that one from Surplus Center four/five years ago. You can google them, but last time I did a year or so ago, I didn't see any thermometers. Was looking for a new member. I called them up and they had some--just didn't have them on their website.

geargnasher
02-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Recluse, I thought I was cheap! Good tips. Making things that work out of on-hand items that commonly serve to occupy landfills is something I learned long ago when I was truly dirt poor. Not spending money that I don't have to has enabled me to have a paid-for education, paid-for house I built myself (much with scavenged, scratch & dent, and second-hand stuff, not that you could tell), and still have many of the toys I desire to keep me happy. I own a few of "the absolute best" tools for certain jobs, but it's because I truly need them, not because if pride.

I think Swede Nelson is still selling Tel-Tru thermometers for way less than the same items with the RCBS or Lyman logos printed on the faces. I bought one from him and had it shipped with a mould last year, so no extra shipping. IIRC it was 23 bucks. An old friend gave me an ancient one marked "Lyman" and I wanted another one to verify its accuracy and both to calibrate my PID controller.

As far as sprue knockers go, I used hammer handles held backwards for years, was too lazy to wrap with leather strips and nail the ends down so they shed splinters on my dropping towel incessently. I finally read about how to just cut the sprue by hand at the right time here, and with the use of Bullplate, that is MUCH more feasable. I found a full-fingered, right-hand golfing glove in the highway one day (the "Gods" smiled on me?) and it makes a perfect sprue cutter.

Gear

Catshooter
02-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks.

Cat

Sonnypie
02-03-2012, 08:22 PM
I use an old hammer handle mysef.
Wood is softer than steel anyway.

Bullet Caster
02-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Me 2. I use the wrong end of a broken, wooden hammer handle. The other end is kinda charred from scrapin' the ole pot, though. It's a dual function tool. BC

Harter66
02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I made a laddle ugly but servicable w/ a long handle from a broom stick . Dip,pour,bump,flip,push or whack sprue plate,drop,close,repeat.

ricksplace
02-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have been using a small rubber mallet for whacking my sprue. I got tired of wood chips flying all over the place. I paid $2 for it at the dollar store.

Wayne Smith
02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have been using a small rubber mallet for whacking my sprue. I got tired of wood chips flying all over the place. I paid $2 for it at the dollar store.

Wood chips!!?? How hard do you have to hit? I only use a hammer handle on my four cavity molds and then only until it gets good and warm. Then I use my gloved hand to cut the sprues.

Recluse
02-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Wood chips!!?? How hard do you have to hit? I only use a hammer handle on my four cavity molds and then only until it gets good and warm. Then I use my gloved hand to cut the sprues.

Couple of things--

When I ladle pour, I have a lot bigger sprue and it's harder to handle with just a gloved hand. When I bottom pour for a small boolit, like the Lee 102RN or 105SWC or (sometimes) even the Lyman .225 (can't remember the number), I can thumb off the sprue pretty easy.

However, there are also times that the combination of larger sprues and an arthritis flare make it more practical to use my leather-covered sprue knocker. :) Nice thing with it is that no wood goes flying and the leather absorbs most of the impact--much, I suspect, as the rubber mallet Ricksplace uses.

catmasher
02-11-2012, 01:49 AM
PVC pipe with lead in one end, will last forever...
Cat

rmb721
02-11-2012, 08:21 AM
I cut sledge hammer handles to about 12 inches.

MBTcustom
02-11-2012, 10:32 AM
My dad taught me to cast boolits. He also taught me the "right way" to make a mold bashin club. Cut 10" off the end of a wooden broom handle, lube the end with dish-soap and push/slide/cuss a 3.5" section of garden hose over the end of it. Its light-weight and rubber padded, so it is hard to get enough inertia to ruin a mold.
Seriously though, why do you enlightened experts still use a club to open a mold that you can open with finger pressure and a gloved hand? I dont presume to tell a veteran caster how to do things, and no disrespect is intended, but I started using a glove a month ago and now when a think about how many times I whacked a mold that could have been just opened with my hand, I just shake my head. (I do a lot of head shaking now, by the way)

mdi
02-11-2012, 01:17 PM
I just had a funny thought, why try to re-invent a hammer? No offence to all who shared their tools and methods, but I just laughed when I read the posts. I've been a mechanic, machinist, repair type person for 50 years and I have accumulated mebbe 20 different hammers/mallets and used many, many more (If I could find them all!). Leather, plastic, steel, brass, lead, nylon, non-sparking, dead blow, 4 oz. to 16 lb., long handle, short handle, no handle (a custom brass hammer I held in the palm of my hand for nudging adjustments on a Davenport screw machine), ad infinatum...:bigsmyl2:

I jest thought of one I never used; one of those large round wooden mallets used by wood carvers for chisels.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Many good ideas have been mentioned here. I have never done well with using my hand as I am left handed and casting is enough without becoming any more discombobilated. I have nevertheless used the following with success and never hurt any of my molds; a large diameter dowel made of hardwood, a lead hammer, a plastic headed mallet, and a rawhide mallet. All have stood up well and lasted for many years now. I have also used them on aluminum sprue plates that I have made and those have not been harmed. The use of pvc pipe, rubber mallets or leather covered tools are all excellent ways to do it if one is building their own. A tap is all that is needed to do the job regardless of any of the above methods. LLS

Salmon-boy
02-13-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm with JLM223 tonight...

I'd hit anything in leather. :-D

supe47
02-14-2012, 01:04 AM
34 yrs. a stick. Since I found this site... a glove.

JesterGrin_1
02-14-2012, 02:31 AM
34 yrs. a stick. Since I found this site... a glove.

You almost sound like a Proctologist from the Renaissance time period lol. :kidding::bigsmyl2:

DODGEM250
02-14-2012, 07:12 AM
I have an old 10" section of a oak shovel handle. No wood chips and few dents. Oak provides lots of natural weight and one tap does the trick on the sprue.

MBTcustom
02-14-2012, 07:16 AM
You know, one tap from a sledge hammer might work even better.:kidding::kidding:
Personally, I open a jar of peanut butter with a pipe wrench, the wife tells me its not necessary, but I reminded her that its a free country, I'm not hurting anyone, It definitely works every time, and besides that, its just her opinion and she's entitled to it. I like opening my peanut butter with the pipe wrench, its never failed me before, and if it works why change?
:kidding:

nanuk
02-14-2012, 09:10 PM
You know, one tap from a sledge hammer might work even better.:kidding::kidding:
Personally, I open a jar of peanut butter with a pipe wrench, the wife tells me its not necessary, but I reminded her that its a free country, I'm not hurting anyone, It definitely works every time, and besides that, its just her opinion and she's entitled to it. I like opening my peanut butter with the pipe wrench, its never failed me before, and if it works why change?
:kidding:

I would ALWAYS use a pipe wrench on peanut butter jars!

one day my wife calls me uncouth, and says it is more properer to use a "ChannelLock" pliers! Lighter, far more control, and a No Slip rubber grip!

MBTcustom
02-14-2012, 10:30 PM
ChannelLocks! now why didn't I ever think of that! I hate having to use that thumb roll. It gets my fingers all greasy and then I have to wash my hands before getting out the roofing trowel that I use to spread the PB on the bread.

Alan in Vermont
02-14-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm with JLM223 tonight...

I'd hit anything in leather. :-D

Did you really mean "hit ON"?

Whistler
02-15-2012, 06:41 AM
Never used a mallet, hammer or any other hitting device. I wear gloves and cut the sprue with hand force. An advantage to this is that you soon develop a feel for when the sprue temperature is just right.

AndyC
02-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Did you really mean "hit ON"?
No - he left himself an "out" in case it's a feller :kidding:

Farmall
02-22-2012, 11:47 AM
I have a nice piece of hedge (Osage Orange to some) that makes a dandy sprue knocker.

As for my BullShop lube.....Just take a roll of duct tape...peel back the end, and stick the bottle bact to the roll, so that they both sit flat on your bench. Makes it stable as can be. Works great for Butches Bore Shine and other small bottles also.

maglvr
03-06-2012, 05:25 AM
1 foot of well dried, 1" diameter apple limb works for me ;)

John Boy
03-06-2012, 10:37 AM
* Glove hand to cut the sprue
* Old hickory hammer handle to tap the handle bolt - Once
* Handle to push on the bottom of either mold halve to open the mold without any binding

KCSO
03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
A buddy of mine came up with the most elegant solution. He got a number of 6" handles from a machinery place he works at and he drilled and tapped his spures and put on a 6" handle with a bakelite knob. No gloves no hammering and it works so slick i am converting my moulds.

daboone
03-10-2012, 10:44 AM
For no spills a cleaned out LLA bottle with the tip and tuck pour spout hold Bullplate. Also an Afrin nasal spray bottle works well...just do get confused when you nose gets stuffy.