PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER 22 hornet thread......

IndySteve
01-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah......"newbie" here...........an old one here in this 60th year around the sun on this rock.

WHY it took me so long to get a 22 hornet is blamed on YOUTH and the every increasing amounts of advertising on "bigger" FASTER! that always kept my head a-whirling with "state of the art" velocities.

Started out with a 222 mag Vixen (that I should have kept!) and moved "upward" har har.....to bigger and better rounds and ran dang near the whole list from 222-338 mag.

Efficiency, in about every part of life, hath reared its (at first) ugly head due to costs, change in places TO hunt, and yeah.......old age, limited funds.

Picked up a used CZ, (after ALMOST buying a new one and ALMOST buying a Ruger....hey, Im picky. lol) swapped and finagled for dies, brass, bullets (had some) and picked up lil gun (so far so good) and some SP primers (also so far so good).

But............as it is obvious I have questions, some of which may put you into shock but I hope not. Just know that Ive loaded some .....uhh...40? years so not COMPLETELY out in never never land mentally. (Depends on whom you ask though) :p

First.....on the lil gun and the "so far so good" part. Ive spent a LOT of time talking to guys shooting this powder and round and 13 grains (book or no book) isnt near max for MOST rifles yet one, of course, needs to approach such carefully.

Even with 50 grain NOT Cast projectiles Im at 12.6 grains and not a single sign of ANY kind of pressure and (no joke) have conversed with several shooting over 14 and not in a K version either, but in RP brass. Wont fit in my WW brass. I had to try since most said the WW held less. Thicker brass it seems.

So more on that later.

Ive 400 plus CBs in 45 GC coming for more fun and games with the hornet from one of the sponsers here and since I HAVE like 3 plus lbs of 4064.....I did a little search and lo and behold there was one load listed on a "load data" site of 11 grains behind a 45 (same ol, same ol for a hornet) JB giving around 1500 fps velocities.

So, way too slow to be a GOOD powder has anyone tried 4064 behind cast? Advice or warnings on doing so? Up front, I just cant imagine a powder that slow all burning even if I drop tubed the brass full but wont............so asking here of you more experienced loading reduced Hornet loads.

BTW I did a search too. If there IS 4064 mentioned here for a Hornet......I missed it?

My use will be from coyotes to tree rats and a gopher or two for the landlady. So dont blast me too hard. I'm old and bullheaded the Hornady 50 grain SX and what I feel is dang near the same thing 5 grains lighter, the Hornady 45 "Hornet" bullet will get shot a lot but the CB thing has me up in arms so to speak for many uses.

Yeah, yeah.....there are the "tipped" versions.......naaaaaaaa. Aint broke so no need to fix it (except for needing reduced CB info).

While not NEW to loading, the only cast I loaded previously was in my deer killing Smith 29 that provided "bang flops" almost all the time. Should of kept that one too!

So I hope to, dont hold your breath though, "give back" a bit here as a way to help others showing my experiences later on, but for now.......

God Bless for your help!!
Steve

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj170/Steve692/CZHornet.jpg

stubshaft
01-31-2012, 02:24 PM
The slowest powder I normally load for the Hornet is 2400. I get great accuracy with 10.5 behind a 225415 and the same amount behind a 225107.

Iowa Fox
01-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Nice looking CZ Hornet, I have been looking for a nice used one for the last couple of years. I think you will really enjoy the little hornet, mine are in T/C Contenders. I have never seen to the best of my memory any loading data for 4064 in the Hornet. Lots of other powders that work much better.

IndySteve
01-31-2012, 05:11 PM
In case I wasnt clear......reduced loads is the objective.

Lots of powders suggested for reduced loads. Just had this one. Looks like a no go from PMs and such.

Looking at 13-1500 for velocity with 45 GCs.

God bless and thanks

Steve

excess650
01-31-2012, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=IndySteve;1570032]In case I wasnt clear......reduced loads is the objective.

Lots of powders suggested for reduced loads. Just had this one. Looks like a no go from PMs and such.

Looking at 13-1500 for velocity with 45 GCs.

God bless and thanks

Steve,
Is there a reason that you're looking for 13-1500fps? The Hornet will do way more than that with cast due to their slow rifling twist.

IndySteve
01-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Noise lol.

looking for a good, fairly less noisy squirrel, gopher in the yard type load. Im sure Ill load some up for other stuff to try them out too.

Loads for CBs in the higher end spectrum appreciated also. Never loaded CB in anything but the mentioned 44 mag and the hornet is also new to me.

God Bless

IndySteve
01-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Ya'll might make a "convert" outa me and "make me" buy all the casting stuff......
Ball is in your court LOL

Steve

excess650
01-31-2012, 08:21 PM
If you're looking for quiet, use "pistol powders" or shotshell powders. It'll only take a few grains to surpass the 22LR. Step up a bit and you're in 22 Mag territory. You may be able to shoot full throttle 22 Hornet with cast if its a 1-16" twist.

From Lyman 45th (1970)

Lyman 225438 45gr GC

3.5gr - 5.0gr Unique 1669fps -2127fps
6.0gr -8.0gr 2400 1636-2207fps
7.0gr-9.0gr IMR4227 1727-2267fps

From Lyman 46th

Lyman 225415 49gr GC

2.0-3.7gr Red Dot 1060fps-1645fps
2.0-3.7gr 700x 1050fps-1665fps

1Shirt
01-31-2012, 08:29 PM
The latest issue of the Varmint Hunter Magazine has an article "Working with the 22 Hornet" by M.L. Mc Pherson. It is 15 pages or so long and is as dedicated article on a single ctg. that I can ever remember in a magazine. Much data, much testing, much info but of course it is written about jacketed.
For cast in the hornet, you can do no better than to look up the article written by John Goines (Beagle). His work and testing is more of what you are looking for I believe, and his data is excellent. Have used his data for both my hornet and K-hornet and found it to be superior.
Good luck, and let us hear how you do with your hornet!
1Shirt!:coffee:

canyon-ghost
01-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Oh, well let me hang up my coat and get out my violin.
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/hornet001.jpg

My 22 hornet is a TC with 10" barrel and VX2 riflescope.
Lyman 225438 gas checked mold 45 grain weight
IMR 4227 to 7.5 grains with Winchester brass and primers (SR)

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/hornet003.jpg

In hunter's pistol, its 40 meters, 50 meters, 75 meters and 100 meters (slightly more than yards). It knocks over Rams at 100, I fireform then, necksize rather than keep full length sizing.

canyon-ghost
01-31-2012, 08:53 PM
I've loaded 50 grain V-Max with 8.0 grains of VV N110
and loaded some Remington PSPs.

4227 will leave unburnt powder behind but, is by far the most accurate powder for the 22 Hornet. You wouldn't think I'd use a slower powder because I'm losing muzzle velocity with the short barrell. But, it just works.

Good Luck,
Ron

IndySteve
01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
The many Hornet shooters here are certainly a bundle of information that will be considered and greatly appreciated.

Neat little round and deserves the attention that dedicated shooters, like all of you, give it. I really appreciate all of you sharing your experiences.

God Bless

w30wcf
01-31-2012, 11:16 PM
IndySteve,
I've shot a bunch of cast bullets in the 1,500 f.p.s. range in the hornet replicating the 22 WCF cartridge ballistics of long ago.

With a 45 gr cast bullet.....
Most accurate 3.3 / 231 / CCI 500 powder level (as chambered from magazine)
Other good loads
3.0 / Tite Group
3.0 / Red Dot
4.5 / AA7

I tried Trail Boss but got too much velocity variation and accuracy wasn't as good.

w30wcf

IndySteve
02-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I assume the low charges need a filler?

Not something Ive used and always "thought" that such would be difficult to obtain consistant accuracy BESIDES being a PIA to get in the shell, as well as yet another step Id prefer to avoid.

Not measuring such amonts of those powders I've no info on how much of the case is filled.

Please excuse such ignorance . :groner:

God Bless

.22-10-45
02-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Hello, IndySteve. I have never used fillers in the Hornet ..but if I ever did, I think I would try Puff-Lon..this stuff is feather light & won't compress solid like some cerials.
About the slowest powder I tried was AA XMP5744..that stuff left so much unburned/partially burned grains..even at recommended max loads that I could not chamber 2nd. round! No accuracy either.
One season, I got on a "clean burn" kick..was working with ultra fast shotgun powders..American Select, etc. Burned clean..but could only use 3-4gr. of the stuff & pressures spiked.so-so accuracy..went back to my favorite Hornet powder H4227.

uscra112
02-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Beg/borrow/steal/rent the reamer and "K" yer Hornet. Brass will last much longer and there's a bit more case capacity to work with.

I don't shoot "cat sneeze" loads in my 'tender, but I do find that AA#9 works very well, loaded for just 2000 fps, (which I guess could be called a "reduced load") and find that 45 grain J-word varmint bullets are very effective on chucks within 100 yards or so. (Casting .22 size slugs is not on my menu.)

w30wcf
02-01-2012, 09:03 AM
I assume the low charges need a filler?

Not something Ive used and always "thought" that such would be difficult to obtain consistant accuracy BESIDES being a PIA to get in the shell, as well as yet another step Id prefer to avoid.

Not measuring such amonts of those powders I've no info on how much of the case is filled.

Please excuse such ignorance . :groner:

God Bless

Data is using no fillers and I would not recommend doing so with such fast burning powders. There is plenty of airspace but the good accuracy and low velocity variations speak for themselves.......

w30wcf

IndySteve
02-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Appreciate this info.

Ive a buddy who is a MAJOR shotgun shooting fanatic. Red, green, blue dot powder stacked amongst other shotshell powders.

I should be able to get enough from him for "test loads".....;)

Looked into the K version and may be an option down the road but just enjoying the round and rifle as is for awhile.

God Bless
Steve

IndySteve
02-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Double post Delete not working?

God Bless
Steve

IndySteve
02-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Just thought some might want to take a look at this.

A bit different group of powders listed.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj170/Steve692/HornetLoads.jpg

cptuap
02-02-2012, 12:30 PM
That is an interesting list Steve. Who would have imagined IMR4831 in a Hornet?
I have a Ruger#3, which like a lot of others ( Ruger #3s), just does not seem to like the Hornet. Thought about rebarrel but just gave up and stored it a few years until one day I had the idea to play with it again. Don't laugh but I now shoot 22 pellets, no powder just primer behind a bumped pellet that seats with thumb pressure to flush with the case mouth. By gosh it is pretty good out to about 15 yds. Just the thing for spooking cats or other critters. Cp

hornsurgeon
02-03-2012, 01:30 AM
0.6 gr of unique with a small.pistol primer and a 40-45 gr cast bullet. Quiet, and will penetrate a 2x4 at 20 yards.

woody1
02-05-2012, 12:24 AM
22 short dipper of Red Dot with Lyman 225438, no gas check, lubed with J-wax and/or Lee Bull Snot. Try it you'll like it. My notes are out in the shop but I think this is around 2.5 grains of Red Dot. For my Hornet Topper single shot I don't size the cases. Just thumb seat the boolits and give 'em a very slight taper crimp by running them up into the FL sizer until I feel a slight resistance. They'll shoot into under an inch at 25 yds. or so which is enough for back yard shooting or shooting from the barn to the river (about 60 yards). Regards, Woody

BBarrett
02-07-2012, 09:01 AM
I haven't tried cast boolits yet, but I am going to. I have been shooting 8.8 gr. 2400, cci 500 primers, 52 gr. Barts bullets in 10 in. T/C Contenders for yrs. shooting the field pistol events and nevr lost a Ram. I have 3 22H barrels and all three love that powder. I have tried 296, H110, v110, H4227, IMR4227 and I will have to look what else, but have gotten better results with 2400.

canyon-ghost
02-07-2012, 09:47 AM
That's about par for hornet lists, IMR4227, 4198, SR 4759. They're all good cast bullet powders!