PDA

View Full Version : Export permit for iron sight from the US

herbert buckland
01-31-2012, 12:50 AM
I tryed to buy a Smith sight from Brownells,and they imformed me I has to get a export permit,when I replyed that there is no need for a import permet in Australia for iron sights they stated somthing about the money involved,I realise the US will not send rifle brass overseas any more,but rifle sights? .Were they BSing me or is this another new law.I woud put up with we do not do bisness with non US adresses but this seems very strange to me,in Australia a gun sight is not even classed as a gun part unless it is attached to a firearm and I thought this would be the case world wide

waksupi
01-31-2012, 02:39 AM
I'm rather surprised at this. I do know there has been a law passed recently that will make it much easier to send gun related things into Canada under $500 value. I just can't imagine why a sight would be a problem.

Stephen Cohen
01-31-2012, 05:20 AM
Try a check on customs .gov.au website, I was checking it some time ago. some small parts require no more than permit to import, a very simple, free on request, to Police Firearms registration. my understanding is any firearm part requries a permit, of some sort, depending what it is. Dies and such requre no permit, as long as no test ammo or projectiles come with it. Hope this helps. Steve.

madsenshooter
01-31-2012, 05:30 AM
I've been known to ship a few thing where I'm not supposed to. On the customs forms low scope safeties become manual safety switches, riflescopes become telescopes, scope mounts become antique telescope mounting brackets. I suppose the sight you're seeking could be a micro adjustable sighting and/or surveying device. It's not like I'm exporting anything that a terrorist might use and the law has gone a bit too far.

herbert buckland
01-31-2012, 06:57 AM
I checked with the N.S.W. firearms registry and they stated no permit is required for sights.The problem seems to be at the US end,they are telling me I have to get a export permit befor it can be sent,I have imported parts fom the US before which I had to have a import permit for Australian customs,before they would release the part but a US export pemit that is up to me to get seem a bit rich

waksupi
01-31-2012, 12:49 PM
I kind of suspect the people at Brownells don't want to walk down the street to the post office, and fill out the customs form. Takes five minutes from their door to the P.O. They prefer to just load everything in the UPS truck, and send it down the road.
Some assume that Brownells is a big bustling operation. It isn't. When you go in the door, you are in a small room with a girl at the desk. You have no access to the stock. You sit down with a catalog, make out your order, and someone pulls the stock from the shelves, and brings it to the front.
Easiest thing may be to have someone in the states take delivery, and forward it to you.

herbert buckland
01-31-2012, 01:43 PM
It seems they were not telling the truth,I checked withe BACO and they have no problems sending the same sight.Gess Brownells just do not want to do bisness with no US customers

nanuk
01-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Herbert: I have quit trying to do business with Brownells

I have a supplier in the US who will ship may any legal product I want at no extra charge.

no muss no fuss.

Gunlaker
01-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Herbert: I have quit trying to do business with Brownells

Me too. It's a complete waste of time ordering from them.

Chris.

montana_charlie
01-31-2012, 05:44 PM
I suppose the sight you're seeking could be a micro adjustable sighting and/or surveying device.
Or, a bore alignment attachment ...

frkelly74
01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Customs forms can be had for the asking in advance from the post office and filled out when you have to send something. You do need to know what is actually legal to send though. Lots of misinformation floating around even from people who could profit from knowing better.

Norbrat
01-31-2012, 06:58 PM
I tryed to buy a Smith sight from Brownells,and they imformed me I has to get a export permit,when I replyed that there is no need for a import permet in Australia for iron sights they stated somthing about the money involved,I realise the US will not send rifle brass overseas any more,but rifle sights? .Were they BSing me or is this another new law.I woud put up with we do not do bisness with non US adresses but this seems very strange to me,in Australia a gun sight is not even classed as a gun part unless it is attached to a firearm and I thought this would be the case world wide

An export permit is required to export ANY handgun parts and any other parts totalling more than US$100 FROM the US. This has NOTHING to do with what you may IMPORT into Australia or any other country.

Accessories are generally exempt from this, unless they are a banned export; ie, night vision telescopic sights, as these may fall into the hands of "terrorists".

I'm not sure if this law applies to individuals mailing stuff to others, but obviously businesses need to abide by these laws. Many US businesses will not ship ANYTHING to "foreign" addresses because they see it as too much trouble to organise the paperwork.

I have had plenty of items sent out from the US; parts, brass, gas checks, telescopic sights, etc, etc. Some have come from businesses willing to send them, while many others have come though various contacts who are willing to purchase the items on my behalf, get the items mailed to them, and they repackage them and send them on.

I get far more frustrated with a particular Australian wholesaler who has arrangements with many of his suppliers banning any direct sales to Australia. Try buying any Lyman product or a Leupold telescopic sight from US suppliers like Optics Planet; they have been told they are not allowed to sell to us. Mr Nioa has effectively set up a monoploy to ensure he can charge around DOUBLE of what we should be paying![smilie=b:

And even that is not so bad if we could actually GET what we want, and not have to wait months, even YEARS, for him to decide to import that particular item! DAMHIK!

Southern Son
02-01-2012, 07:22 AM
I got a Buffalo Soule sent from MVA without any issues. I have got boolit moulds and a heap of other stuff for shooting from BACO that total more than $100.00 US on several occasions. I have got stuff from Brownells for a Marlin, but it was under the $100 mark. I think that when it comes to things like Vernier type sights, MVA and BACO are using common sense, I don't think that Quigley has started working for Osama's old outfit.

herbert buckland
02-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Export permits for parts over $100 that are going to cost $250 to get can not be good for trade .I am suprised that a trading contrey like the US would allow a law that is basicly baning export

sav300
02-02-2012, 08:16 AM
My Lee Shaver was $250 posted and no problem.Marked as a sight.
Try other companies or a member .

Gunlaker
02-02-2012, 11:52 AM
My Lee Shaver was $250 posted and no problem.Marked as a sight.
Try other companies or a member .

Yup. Buffalo Arms and MVA are great to deal with.

Chris.

herbert buckland
02-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Yup. Buffalo Arms and MVA are great to deal with.

Chris.Yes I ended up ordering from BACO and to be safe asked about the permits they stated that sights are not on the list that requires permits,but barrels,frames and some parts are,this is going to be a problem as I am getting a 56-50 barrel made up in the US ,I orderd it before I found out it is going to cost me a extra $250 or more to get it sent to me,other countrys,that could have done the work do not have this extra cost but they still have the same paper work

cuzinbruce
02-02-2012, 10:47 PM
It is not Australia and it is not the Post Office. It is the US State Dept.

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar_official.html

A confusing mess that many would not want to wade into.

Rokkit Syinss
02-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Here's the deal in a nutshell:

There are two laws/treaties and I'm not sure which it is, that govern what may or may not be exported from the US. They are Global Trade Compliance and International Trafficking and Arms Regulation. The US State Department, with input from places like DOD and DOE, has published lists of things that may not be exported. Some of the lists are very specific, right down to model number and some are more generic. Brownell's does enough business in firearms parts to be noticeable by the export authorities and that specific sight may be specifically listed OR it may be close enough to one of the generic listings that their lawyer/s feel it would be unwise to ship without an export license. The penalties for violating either GTC or ITAR are not worth any level of risk.

herbert buckland
02-03-2012, 12:42 AM
The sight in question is a Smith Buckhorn sight for a black powder rifle and is on no list of prohibited exports, or could it be confused with any thing that is,as other US exporters have no trouble exporting this sight I belive they just do not want to sell to non US buyers ,at least when there is no big $ involved

Ed in North Texas
02-04-2012, 09:19 AM
It is not Australia and it is not the Post Office. It is the US State Dept.

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar_official.html

A confusing mess that many would not want to wade into.

Gee, there's a surprise - not. State has been a haven for Progressives for decades. And with Hillary running the show it shouldn't be a surprise that the regs either take a decidedly anti-firearm turn, or existing regs are enforced which previously had been essentially ignored. Assuming this Administration survives opposition incompetence this year, they will certainly sign a UN "Arms Trafficing" Treaty. If that occurs, we can only hope the Senate has the backbone to refuse to ratify, and some future Administration will withdraw from the treaty entirely (else it simply sits there waiting for a compliant Senate to ratify some years hence).

They backed down on the M-1 Garand imports from Korea after Congressional "interest", but still are refusing M-1 Carbine imports. IIRC they allege they are too likely to be used in criminal activity. Right. It's the eeeevilll high capacity magazines, highly effective cartridge and bayonet lugs which make them so attractive to criminals. /sarc/

Ed

trevj
02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Rokkit got it inna nutshell in Post #19.

Get your free import permit from whoever will issue on in Aus, then forward that to Brownells and wait for the paperwork to go through.

The process is similar here. Need to get all your ducks in a row, and be patient. Makes for crappy times trying to hook up on sales, specials, and limited time offers, but Brownells at least is still willing to go through the whole mess.

This all, providing that the manufacturer has bothered to register for export in the first place. Many have not.

Cheers
Trev

herbert buckland
02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Heres the catch, those free export pemits are in US post offices not Australia,we have import permits that do not cover export from tthe US just a permit to get through Australian customs.I would have thought it would be up to the exporter to get a export permit not the buyer who does not even have acsess to the forms.I have imported many parts from the US before(non restricted well over $100 value)and Brownells is the only company that has pulled this BS

trevj
02-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Brownells doesn't want their private parts to end up slammed repeatedly in the same door that Midsouth , IIRC, or Midway, got theirs done in, to the tune of huge fines. It made the whole bunch of them in the business sit up and clench their ginch up a bit away from their chairs.

You want the parts, learn the system. Whining about how the system doesn't work the way it used to, doesn't cut it.

Sucks, but the system HAS changed. Some folks have been ignoring it at their own peril for some time. The ones that want to remain in business, are seeing that they cannot afford to.

Anything you get from the US Post Office, isn't a permit. All you get there is a customs Declaration, a simple statement of the value of the goods in the box. And stamps.

Get YOUR Permit To Import, send it to Brownells. They send your permit as proof that YOU have one, so that they can get THEIR permit to EXPORT. Provided that the maker has registered as an exporter. Then they put the little note from the Post Office on it, sayin' how much your own Gov't should do you over for, on the outside.

If you can't be bothered, you probably didn't want the parts all that much anyway.

Learn the system. May be a good business decision. At the very least, you will learn who to be PO'd with, once you find out where the problem is.

It isn't Brownells that doesn't want to sell you the part. They just don't think the profit looks worth a $500K fine, for skipping the proper paperwork.

Cheers
Trev

herbert buckland
02-14-2012, 03:28 AM
Brownells doesn't want their private parts to end up slammed repeatedly in the same door that Midsouth , IIRC, or Midway, got theirs done in, to the tune of huge fines. It made the whole bunch of them in the business sit up and clench their ginch up a bit away from their chairs.

You want the parts, learn the system. Whining about how the system doesn't work the way it used to, doesn't cut it.

Sucks, but the system HAS changed. Some folks have been ignoring it at their own peril for some time. The ones that want to remain in business, are seeing that they cannot afford to.

Anything you get from the US Post Office, isn't a permit. All you get there is a customs Declaration, a simple statement of the value of the goods in the box. And stamps.

Get YOUR Permit To Import, send it to Brownells. They send your permit as proof that YOU have one, so that they can get THEIR permit to EXPORT. Provided that the maker has registered as an exporter. Then they put the little note from the Post Office on it, sayin' how much your own Gov't should do you over for, on the outside.

If you can't be bothered, you probably didn't want the parts all that much anyway.

Learn the system. May be a good business decision. At the very least, you will learn who to be PO'd with, once you find out where the problem is.

It isn't Brownells that doesn't want to sell you the part. They just don't think the profit looks worth a $500K fine, for skipping the proper paperwork.

Cheers
TrevIf you read the posts you would notice Brownells asked me to get the export permit,how ?,I am not exporting ,as for a import pemit I do not need one for this so it can not be issued,and as for not wanting the part ,I just tryed another company in the US and they told me it is not a restricted item and does not need a export permit and it is on the way to me now,I do not mind people not doing buisness with me ,its being BS to over it that anoys me

trevj
02-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Then find it locally, or make it, I guess, since you are pretty solidly against learning how the system is going to work for the time being.

Truth told, I'm having a hard time following some of what you write, whether from the creativity in applied spelling variations, or that you skipped a word here or there.

In any case, I am coming to the conclusion that you don't need that sight very badly.

I need to get Import Permits for lots of things that do not require them. The permit is required in order to process an Export Permit in the US. Here, the Import Permit is Free, but takes some waiting time to be processed. The Gov't here is well aware that the only purpose of this permit, is to have one to use for filling out the Export paperwork in the US. No doubt, the Aus. Gov't has a similar set of paperwork available.

Best of luck finding that sight.

Cheers
Trev

herbert buckland
02-15-2012, 01:45 AM
The Australian goverment has import permits,but the do not make them out if the item to be imported is not on alist of restricted imports,and once again Brownlls wanted me to get a export permit.I have looked into this as much as I can and found the itam in question is not on any restricted list that needs a export permit.To double check this I emailed 3 other US companys and they told me the same thing(if it is not on the list it can be exported no trouble)And to make it clear the sight has been exported from the US 3 days ago .I am sorey my spelling ofends you but it is somthing that I will just have to learn to live with

MT Chambers
02-26-2012, 06:14 PM
I had no problem with Baco shipping sights to Canada regardless of cost, they called them "sights for antique gun"....Ben