PDA

View Full Version : Single Shot Mauser 98

Boz330
03-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Was at a BPCRS Match yesterday and one of the guys brought a comercial 98 in 8.15X46R single shot. Apparently before War 2 they shot these in their version of DCM Matches. What a beautiful rifle and the round was very pleasant to shoot with a 160gr cast boolit. We were just dinging the hell out of the 300yd pigs with it, even with the barley corn sights. I told the guy if he ever wanted to sell it to let me know. Then he told me what it was worth, whew, seems these are collector items big time. Stll fun to shoot though.

Bob

Scrounger
03-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Basically a .30-30 with fatter bullets, about 0.330" or thereabouts. >32 Special? .30-30 brass can be used. You should find this interesting: http://www.huntamerica.com/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Number=276105&page=0

Boz330
03-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Another friend just got a Sheutzen in the same caliber and got brass from BA and they made it from 38-55 brass. When we chamber cast it that was what we came up with although the 30-30 bras was pretty close as well.

Bob

Four Fingers of Death
03-12-2007, 06:43 PM
The Zustava MkX Mausers (now Remington)have always been available as single shots for building target rifles. There are a lot of them in Australia. A dealer here use to import them and generally fitted Ferlach barrels (from Austria, I think). Mick.

Buckshot
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
..............One of the Tuesday Burrito shooters has a Heyd schutzen rifle in 8.15x46R. All engraved, fancy wood, palm rest. The whole shootin' match :-)

.................Buckshot

Phil
03-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Many, many, many years ago I missed one at the old Columbus, Ohio gun show. It was in great shape but in a pile of junk military rifles. The guy wanted about a hundred bucks for it and it was an all original Mauser single shot. Turned around to say something to a friend I was with and another guy picked it up and bought it! Thats the kind of luck I always have. There was a bolt and barrel on GunsAmerica for a long time but its long gone. I think the guy wanted $150/160 for it.

I built a Schuetzen rifle and chambered it for the 8.15x46R cartridge, breech seated the bullets. I used a 225 grain pointy nose (except for a small meplat for the sprue) bullet from a mold Richard Hoch made for me. I shot a CCI small pistol primer and 13 grains of SR4759. SD's were in the single digits and the rifle would shoot .3 moa all day long.

As I remember, the rim diameter is smaller than the 30 WCF. I got about a hundred RWS cases when they were way less than $10 per box. Only ever used two cases. Had about 2000 rounds through one of them and maybe 500 through the other. Never sized one except one that I dropped and then stepped on.

Love that cartridge, I'd like to build a light hunting rifle for it, using fixed bullet ammunition and a lighter bullet.

Cheers,

Phil