PDA

View Full Version : Considering a North Star West trade gun?

Canuck Bob
01-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Recently I am realizing more and more that medical issues are changing my future shooting direction whether I like it or not. I find an afternoon with my flintlock is more fun than an afternoon of cartridge shooting (still a great afternoon). So I'm considering moving toward a more historical perspective. Certainly nothing is more central to my history as the fur trade and the French and Colonial wars.

I've had my eye on a NSW lefty for awhile. I really like the Chief's Grade and I'm wondering if anyone shoots one or maybe a NSW trade or canoe gun?

I like rifles and have no experience with smoothbore muskets. What kind of accuracy could a guy expect if he worked hard at consistent well worked up loads?
I also wonder if it can be rifled?

I can hear some muzzie historians knapping flint and grabbing thier horns over that question! There are forums were I wouldn't dare ask that question! I suspect the management at NSW would frown as well. I'm interested in history but it doesn't have to be totally correct for my enjoyment. I like the Canoe gun as well. Considering the debate over left hand trade rifles and canoe guns I'm not really very HC to begin with. My short barreled 54 Deerstalker is a fine handling and fitting modern flintlock rifle.

01-30-2012, 11:46 PM
HC has its place but it's not the end all either. About the time someone says this or that is not right for the period up pops an example of an exception. As you probably know trade guns, as the name implies, were mechanically simple and not expensive to make but many had simple add-on embellishments to sweeten the pot with eye appeal. The other thing is how large the variety that shows up in any period of history. If the lock type and barrel type are of correct date range or predate your focused date range then hey, there is no violation of HC! Get what you like! As far as shooting short, smooth bore fowlers/foragers- others here surely to pipe up with recommendations.

waksupi
01-31-2012, 12:05 AM
I build a lot of the guns for North Star West. There are more than one model to consider, for sure. I've been putting together the year's order to Dixie Gun Works of the Early English Officers Musket, which I kind of like now, as the front sight is a quarter inch wide, and I can really see it!
Give Matt a call, and he can help you select which model is right for you. Although I do shoot much further a lot of times, I consider around 80 yards my hunting range, not because of ability of the gun, but of my eyes.
There are a lot of very good smooth bore shooters in Alberta and B.C. When they show up, I have to work hard to keep up with them!

swamp
01-31-2012, 12:38 AM
I have one of their canoe guns. Haven't done alot of load development with it, just fun shooting . It is my first flinter and just getting used to it.
+1 on talking to Matt. He is very helpful and a nice guy.
swamp

Dean D.
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Talk to Matt, he's a great guy, he has a great product and his builders do a fantastic job IMO.

Canuck Bob
01-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Well I'm having second thoughts on this. I have a nice 54 cal Deerstalker to hurtle heavy balls downrange. I really am tired of hard kicking guns and my shoulders are ruined from linebacking as a kid and a lifetime of hard work. Maybe a nice 45 cal would suit me better?

The research I've done on smoothbores here and over on the traditional forum is convincing me that I probably want a flintlock rifle. The flintlock longun is not considered a firearm for our gun control freaks. This allows me easy access to the American market. Besides a gun igniting BP with a rock and a cloud of smoke is just too cool!

I really think the Chief's Grade is a fine gun, decisions, decisions!

Maybe I'm making too much of the smoothbore issue?

stubshaft
01-31-2012, 08:15 PM
FWIW - You can't shoot birds with the Deerstalker.

waksupi
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
If I only had one muzzle loader, it would most certainly be a smooth bore flinter.

StrawHat
02-01-2012, 11:31 AM
I have handled and shot a couple of smoothbores. No "trade guns" but cut down muskets and full length muskets. Latley I have a Charleville and it is certainly accurate enough to take deer if you are willing to limit your shots to 80 or so yards. As for birds, well, I can't hit them with a cartridge gun so why would I try with a flintlock?

longbow
02-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Canuck Bob:

I am feeling much the way you are and have been eyeballing trade muskets for some time. While I am sure there are several good makes on the market, the two that seem to stand out for me are the Track of the Wolf kit or North Star West. No personal experience but I have heard good things about both.

Since I see waksupi builds North Star West trade muskets that may explain that one!

I had been thinking about the TOW gun with both .62 cal smoothbore and spare .54 cal rifled barrel since they offer both. Not sure I really need a rifled barrel though.

What is holding me back is partly lack of toy money but also a certain apprehension about the difficulty of getting real BP. It is not available at all locally and I can no longer drive to the States to buy powder and reloading supplies (I live close to the border). With a flinter BP is necessary to shoot. If that weren't an issue I might have one by now.

If you want the gun but not the recoil they are available in smaller bore too. TOW offers 24 ga.

Good luck on your decision. I know I have been waffling on mine a while!

Longbow

Boerrancher
02-05-2012, 12:31 PM
... Besides a gun igniting BP with a rock and a cloud of smoke is just too cool!

I really think the Chief's Grade is a fine gun, decisions, decisions!

I know the feeling I am hooked on flinters as well. Either way you go, smooth bore or rifle, I am sure you will receive a great deal of enjoyment out of it.

Best wishes,

Joe