PDA

View Full Version : Tang sight for Deerstalker?

Canuck Bob
01-30-2012, 09:29 PM
I have a 54 lefty flint deerstalker. I love the rifle. I put a Lyman 57 on it and it is ok. The problem is I can't stand the look of the thing! Being a lefty the sight projects out quite far to the left and interfers a bit with my trigger hand. In the end it just looks out of place to my eye on a flintlock.

I know this is a sorry thing to complain about but I still do.

I know TC makes a simpler peep but I'm wondering about other options or homemade attempts. I'm also wondering about a short tang sight for a lever or a soule style. Anyone got any ideas or pics?

Good Cheer
01-31-2012, 07:59 PM
It just so happens that this afternoon I was discussing something similar with a kindly gentlemen up at Track Of The Wolf, wanting to get a ladder type tang sight for my Sheba gun, a Great Plains Rifle with a fast twist forty barrel fit to her. Now, it also happens that the tang on a GPR has three holes. There's hope.

stronics
01-31-2012, 10:25 PM
I know just what your saying about the looks of the sight. I want a peep but don't want one to ruin the lines of the rifle. I am going to build a simple one when I get off my, I mean when the weather warms up some.
I like the looks of the tang sight for the lever guns, I don't see why a guy couldn't modifiy one for mounting on the TC tang.
David

Omnivore
01-31-2012, 10:49 PM
I know what you mean, but I just ordered a 57 SML for my Deerstalker a couple of days ago. I wasn't unheard of that a user back in the day would fashion a tang sight of some kind, sometimes as simple as a screw with an aperture at the top. Now you've got me thinking about it. I ordered the Lyman sight beasue it has windage and elevation, right there, with click adjustments. But then, so do some of the other tang sights.

boommer
02-01-2012, 02:47 AM
I put a tang sight on my great plains fast twist fifty and you need to mount it with the top screw on the base in the lower hole in the tang strap and back screw hole in the base in the stock. I did not like wood screwing that sight into wood but has worked fine so far, you can insert it if you like but if the wood screws losen up then I will go that route. The sight comes from track the wolf 69 bucks windage adjustable and you will need to open up the aperture hole to the size you like.Then Lyman 17 a and take rear sight off and dove blank in and wa-la 500 yard muzzle loader and sleek lines. I've shot mine to 300 yards so far but plenty of sight left. This sight is no cream puff but it works fine.

Tatume
02-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Danny Caywood built a 62 caliber English Game Gun for me with an aperture sight. The sight is a tiny thing cut from a single piece of steel, decoratively styled, and dovetailed into the breechblock. It has a 1/8” aperture, and works in conjunction with a 1/8” brass blade front sight. It is very effective. My nearly 60-year-old eyes see the sights well and it is very accurate.

Aperture sights are quite old, and pre-date guns. The first records are of crossbows with aperture sights in the early 1500's. There were some flintlock rifles made with aperture sights, though not many. I consider the fixed aperture sight to be authentic and correct for a period gun. Also, it’s great fun to shoot!

475BH
02-01-2012, 08:15 AM
How about something like this.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/sbhg/144USA-422.jpg

It and others are here --> http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-accessori.asp/l_en/idt_9/accessories-creedmoors.html

451 Pete
02-01-2012, 11:23 AM
:coffeecom You may find something also by checking with Brownells. He has quite a few aperature type sights listed in his catalog.

Pete