PDA

View Full Version : NEI Moulds: I need help with some choices, please...

Tom in Pittsburgh
01-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Well, I've been little behind the curve, only just learning yesterday that NEI is back in business.

A favorite bullet for my Czech-barreled German GEW88 "Commission" rifle has been the NEI #86 -- a ~190-grain .318" bullet that seems to be particularly well-suited to the tight bore on these Czech rebarrels.

Anyway, I am going to order up a mould and would appreciate some advice. Choices are aluminum ("a very hard alloy used for high speed gears") or Meehanite ("a very dense, free machining cast iron alloy"); the Meehanite moulds carry with them a $25.00 premium.

I also need to choose between a single- and a double-cavity mould.

:confused:

Pros and cons from the board gratefully appreciated.

(I will be using these bullets for simple paper-punching at 100 yards.)

TIA

Tom

www.vintage-gunlore.com

RayinNH
01-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Tom I have 2 aluminum NEI molds that I got used, older ones. They are for handgun boolits and have held up very well. Unless you shoot this rifle constantly the mold will probably outlive you if taken care of. A little Bullplate sprue lube is your friend here. I would save the $25.00 of the Meehanite mold and put it towards the two cavity mold instead. The damage occurs from sliding the sprue plate over the top of the mold. With the two cavity you get two boolits for each cycling of the sprue plate...

Other casters will have legitimate reason to do the opposite of the above...Ray

Calamity Jake
01-31-2012, 09:34 AM
The one and only NEI mold I have was a group buy created here, it was made after Walt died

"IT IS A PIECE OF JUNK" I emailed them for a replacement, "I GOT NO REPLY"

Your on your own.

stubshaft
01-31-2012, 02:18 PM
I have a few NEI molds left that were made prior to Walts death and they work very well. I have not bought one since then but have heard that their QC has fallen waay off.

In answer to your question though I would go with a single cavity aluminum mold.

.30/30 Guy
01-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Forget the NEI and get an Accurate mold. You will find plenty of threads on the Accurate molds.

Ben
01-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Based everything that I've read, I believe I'd give more thought to NEI before counting out your $ $ $.

Accurate would make you a fine mold that I know you'd be happy with.
The NEI route is a " dice roll ".

Ben

beagle
01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
I ordered a DC meehanite .375 mould from Walt right before he passed. IMO, the extra $25 is well worth the money. One of the better casting moulds that I have. In the future, any purchases from NEI will be made in meehanite./beagle

Chill Wills
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Calamity Jake wrote: "The one and only NEI mold I have was a group buy created here, it was made after Walt died

"IT IS A PIECE OF JUNK" I emailed them for a replacement, "I GOT NO REPLY"

Your on your own. "

I am 100% with you on that!
Walt and his moulds were great but the son-in-law is a piece of work.

I got burned a few times before I learned, slow learner I guess or just want to trust people.

With the son-in-law, just try to send a (NEW) bad mould back for repair or replacement and get ready for a load of C%@P.

NEI does not even exist for me. Too bad, Walt had a great inventory of bullets designs.

We live in the "good ol' days" of great mould makers. No need to deal with this slug.
Rant over:2gunsfiring_v1:

Good Cheer
01-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Well, I've had good and bad. Had a double cavity for the 25-35 that Walt made. It had wiggle between the blocks because the holes had such a big chamfer cut on them versus how far out the round head pins protruded. Well, time passed and figured out that the 25-35 didn't like that long of a slug. So, after Walt had passed away I had the cavities recut for two 40 cal designs for the fast twist muzzle loader. I asked them to look after the loss of alignment while they had them but the blocks came back with the holes and pins just like they left. But the recut cavities are perfect. And I cured the misalignment with a punch and mallet. so, that's my story. And, I want to get a four cavity recut but can't get an answer to my emails. Reckon I will give them a call.

seagiant
02-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Hi,
I was going through some old LEE molds at my local gun shop one day and came across a round nose 9mm NEI mold for $15. I did not care for the 9mm design but wanted to have it recut for a SKS handcannon 350 Gr. boolit. This was after Walt had died. I got the mold recut I think for $35 which I thought was very reasonable and it was perfect.

However I would have to agree that if I was going to have a mold made today it would be a Accurate or NOE!

Blammer
02-01-2012, 07:04 PM
I would NOT purchase a new NEI mould.

they are not worth it.

fatnhappy
02-01-2012, 08:33 PM
The NEI route is a " dice roll ".

Ben

and the dice only have ones.

NEI is currently producing junk. I can't in good conscience recommend a newly made NEI mould to anyone, except Ben Cannon. Blammer probably still has pictures of some of the moulds NEI tried to pawn on him as a group buy honcho. I know he had to go back to NEI at least 4 times on the 311284 to replace garbage moulds.
an example
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/DSCN6488single.jpg

It's a shame really. The moulds I own that were cut by Walt are exceptionally good.

Caveat Emptor Tom

skimmerhead
02-01-2012, 09:10 PM
i would not accept an nei mold if it were given to me!!! i have a .45acp mold from before walt died, it's great! but his son in law has run that company into the ground. if you order something from nei, good luck just trying to get it. this guy is a crook in my opinion from the dealings iv'e had with him. took 6 months and 2 phone calls a week and i can't count how many e-mails to finally get my order of mold release. about a year or so ago there was a thread on this and a lot of people posted similar accounts of dealings with this guy. Qc does not exsist there anymore. there are many excellent mold makers on this forum that will produce you a fine mold with no Bull S___t

skimmerhead:castmine:

Good Cheer
02-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm mailing a four cavity off tomorrow for cuts with two different cherries.

youngda9
02-03-2012, 05:59 PM
+1 for Accurate Molds. They are beautiful. Their customer service is OUTSTANDING !!!