PDA

View Full Version : Happiness is a warm Dillon 1050

Johnk454
01-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Finally finished processing 10K milsurp 5.56 - cleaning, size/trim using a Dillon trimmer, primer pockets swaged, tumbled and annealed on a Bench-Source. Even on a 1050, it was beginning to remind me of work.

Loaded up the first 1K with 62gr SS109s over WC844. Now that's startling to look worthwhile! :D

http://home.comcast.net/~johnk454/1050M855a.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~johnk454/1050M855b.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~johnk454/1050M855c.jpg

Roundnoser
01-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Thats a purdy pile of ammo! Shame yer gonna have to shoot it all up!:wink:

seagiant
01-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the pics! I sure would like to play with one of those!

Kevin Rohrer
01-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Nice blonde, although I prefer larger forward mounts.

Anyway, what is that weapon she is holding, and is that a grenade launcher mounted under the barrel?

seagiant
01-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Hi Kevin,
I don't want to hi jack the man's thread but to answer your question it's an FN M249 machine gun that's actually based on the old FAL rifle. I had a group of Marines riding the ship I was on in the Persian Gulf going to Kuiwat and got to get with the armourer and field stripped one. I have built FAL's ,so it was interesting to me! The part you see under the barrel is actually a folded up bipod! This thing is built like a tank!

Can't help with the Blonde,I believe that's an old Dillon pic and this is suppose to be about a Dillon reloader I can't afford!

ph4570
01-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Nice pictures. I am turning green.

Johnk454
01-30-2012, 11:19 PM
It is almost too purty to shoot!

Need to get the rest loaded so I can switch over to 300BLK - my upper should be here by the end of the week. Looking forward to experimenting with cast in an AR.

LUBEDUDE
01-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Looking good!

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2012, 07:14 AM
yup its to bad the case trimmer wont fit on a 1050 so that you could trim as you load. Boy it would be nice to run them through the press once and size trim prime swage charge and seat bullets. Probably good they cant or id have to buy one for sure.

1in9twist
01-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Luv the 1050. She's a workhorse, that's for sure.

Moonie
01-31-2012, 09:59 PM
It is almost too purty to shoot!

Need to get the rest loaded so I can switch over to 300BLK - my upper should be here by the end of the week. Looking forward to experimenting with cast in an AR.

Your killing me, as of tomorrow I will have everything for my 300BLK upper except the barrel, it is back ordered...

Johnk454
01-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Lloyd - I hear ya, but it doesn't really bother me as I run my brass through a basic cleaning process before it hits the 1050 to size/deprime/swage/trim, then tumble and anneal offline before returning to the 1050 and loading.

Johnk454
01-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Your killing me, as of tomorrow I will have everything for my 300BLK upper except the barrel, it is back ordered...

Moonie, the brown-suit Santa will be arriving tomorrow! So my rifle will be functional before my loading setup which is probably still a week out.

Moonie
02-01-2012, 12:06 AM
I do have everything to load for it, including a lee 170gr, the dummy round looks good. Need to make sure they will chamber then run some up using W296.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Lloyd - I hear ya, but it doesn't really bother me as I run my brass through a basic cleaning process before it hits the 1050 to size/deprime/swage/trim, then tumble and anneal offline before returning to the 1050 and loading.

I gotta ask, what press do you use to do this set of operations?

I just got done doing this set of operations on 4K on an RCBS Pro 2000 set up with an RCBS Lube/deprime die, a Dillon trimmer and a Dillon Size die. Swaged off the press with a Dillon 600 Swager. Worked really well for me.

I didn't know you couldn't put the Dillon trimmer on the 1050. Why is that?

Johnk454
02-01-2012, 09:15 AM
I gotta ask, what press do you use to do this set of operations?

I just got done doing this set of operations on 4K on an RCBS Pro 2000 set up with an RCBS Lube/deprime die, a Dillon trimmer and a Dillon Size die. Swaged off the press with a Dillon 600 Swager. Worked really well for me.

I didn't know you couldn't put the Dillon trimmer on the 1050. Why is that?

Dave, I'm using a 1050 for all of it. What Lloyd is referencing is the fact that the trim motor itself is large enough to preclude mounting everything - trimmer, dies, powder measure, etc. - on the press at the same time and being able to accomplish all tasks with one pass through the press.

I have a Dillon 600 swager also, and it is a great tool - only thing better I have found is the built-in swager on the 1050.

Lloyd Smale
02-01-2012, 07:08 PM
still would be faster to process 223 with crimped pockets on a 1050 even if you did have to run it through twice or set up a 550 with the trimmer. Swaging is probably the ugliest part of reloading 223 and the 1050 is hands down the easiest way to do that.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Dave, I'm using a 1050 for all of it. What Lloyd is referencing is the fact that the trim motor itself is large enough to preclude mounting everything - trimmer, dies, powder measure, etc. - on the press at the same time and being able to accomplish all tasks with one pass through the press.

I have a Dillon 600 swager also, and it is a great tool - only thing better I have found is the built-in swager on the 1050.

John,

Thanks for the information. Back when I was young and could not afford it, a 1050 would have been ideal to keep me in .223 ammunition. I would have had a ball shooting thousands of rounds of lead with this new boolit design that's out now.

I must say, I'm jealous, though really have no need for that kinda production, except when my son comes to town. He'll shoot up a thousand and take a thousand with him. He's good about saving/picking up range brass, including his own and he's willing to send money home to help pay for components. Shame there's too much work and not enough time for us to reload together when he's home visiting. Just barely enough time to shoot and visit. He's a grown man working now and single, so I'm sure every man here knows how wonderful that time period is.

lbaize3
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
That 1050 is simply lovely. I am currently using two 550s (one for small primer, one for large). However, I have a plan. I will get one of those bump fire stocks for my wife's AR. Once I get her addicted to rapid fire, I will tell her I need the 1050 to keep her in ammo.

What do ya think?

Roundnoser
02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
That 1050 is simply lovely. I am currently using two 550s (one for small primer, one for large). However, I have a plan. I will get one of those bump fire stocks for my wife's AR. Once I get her addicted to rapid fire, I will tell her I need the 1050 to keep her in ammo.

What do ya think?

Good plan! Any time you can show the wife that SHE will benefit from your "toy" purchases, is a good thing!

I tell my wife..."I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I don't cheat, and I'm home every night". In return, all I want is to cast and reload. -- She has no complaints!

PS: I have two (2) Super 1050s, so thats proof it works!:p

Johnk454
02-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Excellent plan!

Roundnoser, my wife is the same - zero complaints.

Echo
02-03-2012, 10:39 AM
+1 on Handling one of those...

LAH
02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
John are you fully sizing the case before it goes to the trimmer or only partly sizing? I have no trimmer for my 1050 so I've not tried but was told it best to not quite fully size as the trimmer would work better this way. Is this true or was the guy all wet?

Johnk454
02-03-2012, 08:31 PM
John are you fully sizing the case before it goes to the trimmer or only partly sizing? I have no trimmer for my 1050 so I've not tried but was told it best to not quite fully size as the trimmer would work better this way. Is this true or was the guy all wet?

Lynn, in my case, I set (using a case gauge) the Dillon trim/size die to do all the sizing I wanted while trimming in one pass.

What I'm sure the fella was getting at was that if the case is fully sized before entering the Dillon size/trim die (and it was set to not size any further) then there is nothing gripping the case to prevent it from rotating when the cutter takes the cut, thereby spinning in the die and sometimes making a mess of the case mouth. Not doing any favors to the cutter, either. You could size first, but leave some minimum amount to provide "grip".

I have seen 300BLK cases spin as they were sized and trimmed on a 1050. In this case, there is a LOT (10mm) of material being removed while the case is being formed. The press was also being cycled pretty quickly.

Hope this helps,

LAH
02-04-2012, 08:34 PM
John that does help & infact makes it very clear...........Lynn

Sonnypie
02-06-2012, 02:33 AM
But now what are you going to do?
Sit a drink beer? :confused:

This is what I mean about goin too fast. You spoil your fun. :veryconfu

Lloyd Smale
02-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Lynn ive done it for years small base sizing first then running it into a dillon trim size die/ trimmer and havent had a single lick of trouble doing it.

LAH
02-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks Lloyd

wildphilhickup
02-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Question: DO you ever have issues with the priming mechanism on your 1050?

I have a 1050 in 9mm and it eats primers. I removed the little "teflon" piece that prevents the case from moving out of position and the priming works much better. But of course, that is not by design.

My other 1050 is in 45ACP and that thing spits out ammo.

THX

Silver-Silver
02-07-2012, 04:08 PM
The question wasn't directed at me, but I have a super 1050.
I do have issues with the primer mechanism on my press, but not as bad as some others. I was doing a bit of research on this last week and found out that Dillon is supposed to have a new priming ram for the press to help. I haven't called them yet to order one.

External Link discussing the new parts and primer issues
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136328&view=findpost&p=1624305

-Silver

LUBEDUDE
02-07-2012, 05:18 PM
I have a 1050 set up for 38 and it has been putting out about 15-20k per yr for the last 7-8 yrs with no problems.

Johnk454
02-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Question: DO you ever have issues with the priming mechanism on your 1050?

I have a 1050 in 9mm and it eats primers. I removed the little "teflon" piece that prevents the case from moving out of position and the priming works much better. But of course, that is not by design.

My other 1050 is in 45ACP and that thing spits out ammo.

THX

On mine, no issues. I've loaded lots of 44sp/mag, 45acp, 38/357 and 5.56. Lesser quantities of other calibers.

First, primer pocket swaging - a touch of this can even help some commercial non-crimped brass by giving a gentle bevel to the primer pocket.

Check for "primer bobble". Make sure the primer plunger and associated bits sit flush and don't catch on the slide, causing the primer to bobble in the pocket of the slide.

Check the primer plunger and make sure it isn't bent from maladjustment (overly long stroke).

If you're certain the primer slide is picking up primers properly from the tube and they are sitting flat in the slide's pocket, I would try re-installing and adjusting the placement of the teflon piece to ensure alignment.

Since the pin in the toolhead forces alignment between the shellplate and the primer slide... about the only thing left would be to try a new primer slide & plunger.

wildphilhickup
02-08-2012, 12:06 PM
I swapped out the "teflon piece" from my other press. It now works like a champ. Who would have thought?

That teflon piece is rough on the bottom, not smooth like the one from the other press. So it was causing the primer "bobble".

I will be contacting Dillon for a replacement.

Re: primer pocket swaging - a touch of this can even help some commercial non-crimped brass by giving a gentle bevel to the primer pocket.

Yes, tried that.

THANKS!

Johnk454
02-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I swapped out the "teflon piece" from my other press. It now works like a champ. Who would have thought?

That teflon piece is rough on the bottom, not smooth like the one from the other press. So it was causing the primer "bobble".

I will be contacting Dillon for a replacement.

Re: primer pocket swaging - a touch of this can even help some commercial non-crimped brass by giving a gentle bevel to the primer pocket.

Yes, tried that.

THANKS!

Glad you got it figured out! I should order an extra one myself - mine has a divot from over-tightening the mounting screw and it wants to seek this spot whenever I need to reposition.

Rafe Covington
02-08-2012, 09:36 PM
My brother has a Dillon 1050, great machine. I sure wish I could afford one. Congrats, ammo looks great.

Rafe[smilie=s: