PDA

View Full Version : Turned some more wheel weights into boolits.

TNFrank
01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
I can't see how anyone who's into handloading can't also be into boolit casting. It's so cool to take a bunch of wheel weights and in a matter of an hour turn them into shinny new cast boolits to load up into your favorite ctg. I'm working on some 38spl at the moment to shoot in my new(to me) 642 S&W snubby, can't wait to get out and run a cylinder full thru this little gun to see how it'll run with my handloads.
Don't ya' just love boolit casting? I know I do. :bigsmyl2:

GRUMPA
01-30-2012, 03:41 PM
YEP!!! Nothing more pleasing than being able to make what you want from the free stuff, all it takes is an effort and some knowledge. And the more knowledge/experience over time you get who knows you might just have to get more toys in the man cave to tinker with. It's amazing how many of my toys just show up or follow me home.

Doby45
01-30-2012, 04:34 PM
No pictures? It never happened.

TNFrank
01-30-2012, 05:02 PM
No pictures? It never happened.

Ahh, man, I've heard that for when ya' buy a new gun but boolits, come on, you're killin' me here.[smilie=l:

Ole
01-30-2012, 07:30 PM
On the way to and from the 100yard berm to check the target: It's funny the looks you get at the range while you're picking up bullets laying on the dirt & berm.

If folks only knew, I think everyone would be scouring the ground for silver gold. :mrgreen:

RayinNH
01-30-2012, 10:15 PM
It's funny the looks you get at the range while you're picking up bullets laying on the dirt & berm.

If folks only knew, I think everyone would be scouring the ground for silver gold. :mrgreen:

Exactly. I try to do my shooting towards the end of the day in the hopes that I'm the last one there so I can mine the berm...Ray

Recluse
01-30-2012, 10:50 PM
I can't see how anyone who's into handloading can't also be into boolit casting. It's so cool to take a bunch of wheel weights and in a matter of an hour turn them into shinny new cast boolits to load up into your favorite ctg.

Ain't it, though?

On the way to and from the 100yard berm to check the target: It's funny the looks you get at the range while you're picking up bullets laying on the dirt & berm.

Exactly. I try to do my shooting towards the end of the day in the hopes that I'm the last one there so I can mine the berm...Ray

Heh heh. I do that for brass. Not one range I shoot at will let ANYONE mine the berms.

And yet, the range owners are continually perplexed why the wheel weights on their pickups keep turning up missing. . .

:coffee:

Old Iron Sights
01-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Except for the smell. Man I hate the smell of melting wheel weights. Even on a windy day.

Jal5
01-30-2012, 11:42 PM
I do love the entire process, finding lead, melting it down, pouring nice new boolits, and of course shooting them. I am looking forward right now to receiving the new to me mold I just bought from a guy on this board! A new caliber to experiment with and hopefully master. Joe

captaint
01-31-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm diggin in the berm all the time when there's nobody around. My kids say "you're crazy, Dad". I'm like, "OK, you get me the free lead and I'll quit diggin". No response. My one son did get me a 5 gal of WW's though. Guess I should let him slide.... enjoy Mike

Wayne Smith
01-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Welcome to the addiction. You are in good company and we will only encourage you.