PDA

View Full Version : CASTING SINGLE in a DC Mold.

BossHoss
01-30-2012, 09:24 AM
So,

If you have a DC mold, with two variants of a boolit you like, one in each cavity:

A PB in one and GC version in the other....or a HP and one has the pin and one doesn't....

AND you want to cast only one variant ,and not cast the other:

Does the heat transfer and continual use of one cavity, and not the other somehow warp or degrade the one not being used?

Let's talk stock Lyman modified HP molds...not the boutique fancy brass and alum jobs here. I am sure other materials add a variant to the question.

I thought of pouring the unwanted boolit and leaving it in the cavity....nope not gonna happen, problems.

Maybe you HAVE to pour both and sort and remelt later....not so bad, but would like to avoid it.

What do you do with YOUR multiple variant molds??

If I want the GC HP in a mold , do I HAVE to cast the PB cav as well?

white eagle
01-30-2012, 09:33 AM
I have used one cav in multiple cav molds
does not hurt mold at all

badgeredd
01-30-2012, 10:06 AM
A friend has been doing it for years and knowing him, I'd guess that it does not harm the mold in any way. I would assume the only problem would be with a BIG boolit mold in trying to keep it warm enough to cast consistently good boolits, but that is an educated guess at best for me. I do it quite often with a couple smaller 30 caliber molds and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems with the Ideal and Lyman molds.

Edd

Shiloh
01-30-2012, 10:12 AM
When experimenting as to if one boolit was more accurate than the other from a particular mold,
I did this. I was however alternating cavities each pour which may have balanced things out.

No problem doing it this way, and no difference in accuracy.

Shiloh

beagle
01-30-2012, 01:57 PM
I have a DC NEI meehanite mould for the .375 H & H that throws two different designs at over 300 grains each and the only way it will work is to use one cavity at a time. I start off throwing two and then after it's up to casting temp, I recycle those bullets and cast whichever style I want and it makes good bullets with no problems./beagle

stubshaft
01-30-2012, 04:29 PM
No problem. Been doing that for years.

geargnasher
01-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Done it lots. I have several DC moulds that for one reason or another I prefer one cavity. Even the 266269 I have casts well with only one cavity, but it needs a good preheat and you have to haul donkey when casting with it or it gets too cold.

Gear

fredj338
01-30-2012, 09:14 PM
I've done it both ways, doesn't seem to matter. Same for using less than 6 in a 6cav.

lead chucker
01-31-2012, 02:23 AM
This is good info I'm going to be casting a double cavity but only using one of them that I just had made into a hp. I was concerned about how the mold would react to just on cavity being used. Happy days.