PDA

View Full Version : Mosin sights

ButterNutZ
01-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Need help finding a good front or rear sight that would let me adjust elevation beyond stock sight. With milsurplus ammo it's just a hear high at 100 yards. I cant live with that because I'm not going to shoot any factory loaded ammo, unless it's given to me. My cast loads that are above 1650fps shoot foot above point of aim at same distance. Looking around google found a pip sight that replaces original rear sigh, but it cost just as much as my rifle. Is there front sight with adjustable blade that someone can recommend?

Nobade
01-30-2012, 09:45 AM
On my rifle the front sight is a piece of wire stuck in a hole in the base, then that is dovetailed into the part soldered to the barrel. I got some wire the right diameter and made a new sight from it to the right height. It's easy to fine tune at the range, either file down the wire or hammer it up if you go too far. This was the easiest rifle I have had to fine tune the point of impact for cast boolits.

ButterNutZ
01-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Nobade will the front dovetail wear out from taking the sight on and off? Also do you remember what kind wire you used?

legend
01-30-2012, 12:17 PM
i have used heatshrink tubeing,and it worked great on the front post.

skeet1
01-30-2012, 12:29 PM
ButterNutZ

If you are shooting a Mosin 91/30 you might want to look at this web site. This guy makes an adjustable front sights that may be just the ticket. I believe he will even use your sight and modify it for a reasonable price. http://www.smith-sights.com/

Ken

Nobade
01-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Nobade will the front dovetail wear out from taking the sight on and off? Also do you remember what kind wire you used?

It shouldn't, but then I only took it off a couple of times and it's still tight.

Don't remember the size of the wire, it's just a piece of music wire in an assortment I have from Brownells. Just hammer the old one out from the top (it has a flare on it) and put the new one in, different height. I think I grabbed it in the vise and hammered a little flare on it like the factory one first. Either way it's a piece of cake to do.

Josh Smith
01-31-2012, 01:05 AM
Hello,

At the risk of self-promotion, try

www.smith-sights.com

I developed these out of much the same need you state, and folks wanted me to start making them. Pays for my shooting addiction anyway.

Regards,

Josh

wallenba
01-31-2012, 01:17 AM
I've seen 16 gage wire stripped of insulation, that was then slipped over the post to raise it a bit. Might have smaller, I don't know for sure.

wallenba
01-31-2012, 01:21 AM
Hello,

www.smith-sights.com

I developed these out of much the same need you state, and folks wanted me to start making them. Pays for my shooting addiction anyway.

Regards,

Josh

Outstanding product Josh. Do you make a ramp for a shortened Mosin barrel?

Sorry about the highjack ButterNutz.

Josh Smith
01-31-2012, 02:41 AM
Hello,

I do not, but you might check with Brass Stacker. They have a Guild page on my website here

http://www.smith-sights.com/brassstacker.php

or at their homepage here

http://brassstacker.com/

It's not a ramp, but if I ever go ahead with my Photoshop concept Mosin

http://www.smith-sights.com/resources/Concept%202.jpg
No Mosins were harmed in the making of this concept photo!

then I will likely use a ring from them for the shortened barrel as I really want to retain my sights.

Regards,

Josh

kappy
01-31-2012, 03:07 AM
Smith, that is an outstanding product!

RugerFan
01-31-2012, 05:12 AM
Hello,

www.smith-sights.com

Regards,

Josh

Wow, very nice looking products. I bookmarked your site. Is it possible to get the combo sight with green fiber-optic instead of red?

Dschuttig
01-31-2012, 12:20 PM
The cheapest quick fix for these was to paint a coffee stirrer black, (The red tube type) then cut to length, or trim as needed. Once you got the right height a small amount of adhesive was placed on the original black post, just enough to hold firm so removal could happen later. The globe would protect the post. Since then, some aftermarket sights have become available, but when these 91/30's first appeared in quantity on the market, this was the fastest and easiest non-permanent fix around.
You can also use this method to test for proper sight height on a more expensive aftermarket sight./ Dan

Josh Smith
01-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Wow, very nice looking products. I bookmarked your site. Is it possible to get the combo sight with green fiber-optic instead of red?

Hello,

It is. Just drop me a line when you order and I'll make sure to do so! If you use PayPal you can put a note on there as well.

(A note about PayPal -- I do not like them. However, they're lightening up on their anti-gun stuff and have given me no trouble at all with it. As well, they're one of the safest forms of internet commerce. I never see your credit card info, for example, and they are experienced in processing these transactions.

I really wanted to go with GunPal, but they were having problems and I cannot even find them now. Google Shopping Cart is another option I've looked at, but much more complex all around.

If you do not wish to use PayPal, I offer an offline order form (http://www.smith-sights.com/order-form.php) for use with checks or money orders. I have to let personal checks clear (per my bank's rules) but Postal Money Orders can be cleared right away.

These are custom sights, so if you want something done that I don't have listed, holler at me here or at wabatuckian@gmail.com and I'll be happy to tell you if I can/cannot follow through with your idea.

I started this with a few files and a hand drill. Now I have different machinery -- no mills yet, want one! -- and can turn out five custom ones per day normal production. The prototype came about because I wanted a decent sight picture and the tubing fix was just too fat to make me happy.

These rifles should shoot 2.5MOA and under when properly set-up as originally designed (not as actually executed by the Russians) and the sights need to take advantage of that. The Finns did a very good job of reworking them to shoot right, improve their trigger pulls, and improve the sights. I generally follow their lead in my personal rifles.

There are a few vids on YouTube about these sights and other Mosin stuff. My channel is under "Wabatuckian" (I'm the only Wabatuckian on the web so far as I can find!) and some other folks have reviewed these sights as well.

I'm sorry to have been so long-winded here. I only want to make sure nothing is left out. The Mosin and the 1911 are probably the two firearms I admire most, with the Gew88 and Gew98 coming in a close second. (My Gew88 still does cloverleafs at 50 yards -- and it's 120 years old! Sleeved (floated) barrel from the factory and pillar bedding... on a military rifle! It's outstanding.

Regards,

Josh

webfoot10
02-03-2012, 09:15 PM
On the old surplusrifle.com site, they took an extra globe front sight and knocked the
sight pin out and drilled the pin hole all the way through. Then they drilled a hole through
the back of the sight with a #31 drill bit and tapped it with a 6-48 tap for a set screw.
The new sight pin was pushed in and could be adjusted for height by loosening the set
screw and adjusting the pin height. I did this modification in about a half hour. If I want
I can return the rifle to original spec's by changing back to the original sight globe.
webfoot

GuzziRider
02-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Another good sight ready made for the Mosin is the Mo-Jo. I have a set on one of my rifles. Adjustable for both windage and elevation to any range with any ammo. Easy to install. Also have interchangable appratures for diffrent applications from hunting to target use.

http://www.mojosights.com/

ButterNutZ
02-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all the help fellas, ordered a set from Smith on Thursday.
I'll try and make a review some time next week.