View Full Version : New to the forum and need some advice on lube

boltons75
01-30-2012, 05:50 AM
Ok, I'm not entirely new to casting, I've been casting round balls for smoke sticks for awhile now. I am now getting set up to cast for my Ruger sr9c, 40s&w. I just picked up an rcbs lube a matic 2 with the .401 die in it off of gunbroker for 100 bucks, and it looks to be in very good condition. Any suggestions on what type of lube I should use, I will also be casting some .380s.

Sent from my rooted, mikg'd, aggressive freedom'd Evo 4g.

fryboy
01-30-2012, 06:46 AM
nice soundin' evo ....
erm hola and welcome to the forum ! i dont shoot alot of 40 ( i shoot more of it's paw ) yet both the 40 and 10 can be a bit particular/peculiar , the 380's on the other hand isnt as demanding ( meaning that from my perusal of the various threads alot of folks have more luck with the 380 than the 40 ) you didnt state if you had a heater or not so i'm assuming not , bummer that as white label lubes carnuba red should be about dandy for the 40 but it takes a lil heat to apply ( it's also economically priced and from a forum member - both good things IMHO ) my 10 and 40 so far has only been with rooster's HVR and lately zambini , both much akin to lar's carnuba red , if your only loading plinking rounds your lube demands drop greatly ,without a heater let me suggest BAC ( again from white label lubes ) it's a lil softer than CR but should do well in both your calibers ( and again it's honestly rather hard to beat his prices )
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

boltons75
01-30-2012, 07:37 AM
No heater yet, but I do have plans on setting one up for it. Thanks for the feedback.

Recluse
01-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Carnauba Red would be my first recommendation as it definitely stands up to high pressure loads, and it is a proven lube.

Lars45 is the maker and his business is White Label Lubes. He and his wife are outstanding, top-shelf people.

The .380s, you could easily get away with tumble-lubing them, but if you've got the LAM set up, the C-Red will do just fine with them as well.

I tumble-lube my .380s--boolits are too small for me to hassle with in and out of the lubesizer. :)

:coffee:

Larry Gibson
01-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Javelina will be an excellent lube and works in lubrisizers without a heater. BAC works very well in those handgun cartridges but needs a heater except in hot weather.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
01-30-2012, 02:14 PM
the carnuba red needs a heater also.
many lubes can be warmed enough to work by just using a hairdryer,clothes iron, or a lightbulb to warm the heater.
or modified with some vaseline,atf,white lith grease etc..

Gelandangan
01-30-2012, 07:01 PM
How about speed green, just mix bullplate with beeswax and thats it..

randyrat
01-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Give my TAC#1 a try ....Click on the link in my signature line.

It can be used for high demanding like top 44 mag loads or the 40 and the 9mm
It is not a hard lube and can be used without heat in most areas unless the temp is lower. One of the most demanding pistol load I've tested it with was similar to Elmer Keith's load 22 grs of 2400 under a 245 gr cast bullet with no leading. That is my "I'M ALIVE LOAD"

You can buy sticks or bulk, or a kit to make your own lube from me.. Easy to order and fast shipping

boltons75
01-31-2012, 03:22 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to head to the thrift store to look for an old electric griddle or crock pot to cannibalize and turn into my heater for my rcbs.

boltons75
02-01-2012, 04:47 AM
Ok, so I've come up with a few different heat sources, some thick aluminum plate and the dimmer and stuff. I am wondering what the target temp of the plate mounted under the unit should be. What in your opinion is the hottest it should get?

DLCTEX
02-01-2012, 06:55 AM
120* would be as warm as you need the lube to be. I run carunba red at 110* and that is probably a few degrees warmer than needed.

boltons75
02-01-2012, 08:49 AM
120* would be as warm as you need the lube to be. I run carunba red at 110* and that is probably a few degrees warmer than needed.

Ok, thanks, that gives me a baseline to work with while building the heater.