PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 x 39 Barrel Kits For Small Ring

leadman
01-30-2012, 02:43 AM
I have a 7.62 X 39 barrel kit for a small ring Mauser 93 on the way from Numrich Gun Parts. They sell it with or without the feed kit. Price with the kit is $128.00.
Checked for the large ring and it was not listed for it.

It did say low quantity so if you want one but it soon. These have been out of stock for quite awhile.

leadman
01-31-2012, 03:02 AM
Had a member PM me that he could not find the barrel on Numrich site so I will provide the part numbers then you can put them in the search box and they will (should) come up.

Barrel & feed kit 48800

Barrel only 846250

swheeler
01-31-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks for posting that! :)

DCM
02-01-2012, 01:07 AM
This? http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?filter=846250

leadman
02-01-2012, 10:26 PM
That is just the barrel. The other part number includes the feed kit.

leadman
02-03-2012, 11:51 PM
I cleaned the barrel today and noticed a tight spot about an inch from the muzzle. Looks like the button or whatever jerked or something because there is a ring about 1/16" to 1/8" wide all the way around the bore with the lands and grooves intact.
I will have to call Numrich on Monday.

Also the exterior dimensions of this barrel match exactly to the Adams & Bennett F14 barrel that Midway sells.

leadman
02-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Sent the first barrel back and got a second barrel. This one was loaded with rust in the bore and has the identical ring in the bore. The ring slugs at .308" while the reat of the bore is .3105". Have to call Numrich on Monday again.
Not happy getting a rusted bore with a defect on a new item. The first bore had a little bit of rust in it. The rust did clean out but without a bore scope I can't tell if it is pitted.

Also I see on their website that they raised the price about $5.

Buckshot
02-14-2012, 02:52 AM
http://www.fototime.com/24BC6FA640CC15D/standard.jpg

.............. The action is a small ring Brazilian 1894 produced by FN. The barrel came from GPC with the feed kit (magazine blocker and shorter follower). Stock was inletted for the action and with a .5" bbl channel. I don't recall now who made the stock. When I got the barrel it looked like 2 guys did the tapering. One started at the crown and worked back. The other started at the breech and went forward. There was a slight whooptie where they met :-)

I chucked it in the lathe and with a bit of gentle use of the lathe file and some crocus cloth I managed to blend them together. The barrel was bright and shiny, but close inspection of the bore under bright light at the muzzle showed definate reamer marks across the tops of the lands and somewhat rough grooves. If these were buttoned the button must have been vibrating/chattering. I didn't have high hopes for it's shooting ability. There were no tight or loose spots detectable via a tight patch.

On the face of the breech was stamped 7.62x39. When the barrel was torqued to the action the bolt refused to close. This was due to the face of the left locking lug hitting the raised metal from the caliber stamp. I stoned the face of the left lug until it would 'just' pass.

http://www.fototime.com/CC6274F4929748E/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/8DDF21B9754E8F1/standard.jpg

LEFT: This photo shows the ejector extension needed to kick the cases out earlier in the extraction process. Without it, the cases are pulled back far enough so that when ejected they can hit the right edge of the bridge and fall on the rounds in the magazine. It also shows the brass piece added to the follower to bias the last round over toward the right siderail. Otherwise, the narrower 7.62x39 case can pop out. I did not like the plastic follower they supplied so I shortened and reshaped the original steel follower.

RIGHT: A better picture of the action. I drilled and taped for the reciever sight and jeweled the bolt.

http://www.fototime.com/D5CFDF13B40B7DD/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/83F2A6E353CFD83/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/65DD322CACAA2FE/standard.jpg

LEFT: 7.62x39 and Lee C309-160R over 26.0 IMR3031 for 2125 fps CENTER: 7.62x39 28.0 surp 4895, Lee C312-155-2R, 2018 fps RIGHT: 7.62x39 Lyman 311359 & 29.0 WC846 + 2294 fps

The appearance of the barrel, both internally and eternally had nothing at all to do with the way this thing shoots! I have umpteen other targets obtained during testing (honestly some not as nice) that prove it. The center load shown with 4895 and the 155gr Lee has shown to be so consistent over and over that it's now about the only load I bother to use. The Lee C309 - 113 -F is also a wonderfull boolit in this rifle, but it doesn't feed well from the magazine.

...............Buckshot

Jeff Michel
02-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Couple of questions if I may? Was this a short chamber or did you have to qualify an existing chamber? What did the bore measure?
Thank you,
Jeff

Buckshot
02-15-2012, 02:47 AM
Couple of questions if I may? Was this a short chamber or did you have to qualify an existing chamber? What did the bore measure?
Thank you,
Jeff

................Jeff, it was fully chambered. The barrel is .300" x .308".

...............Buckshot

leadman
02-16-2012, 01:55 AM
The Numrich barrels I got are .300" X .3105" bore, except for the 1/8" wide ring that is .308" one inch from the muzzle! The chamber is about .050" short.

I got an e-mail today from Numrich that they were able to find the flaw I told them about in the barrel I sent back. All of the barrels in stock and the second one I have are flawed.
They have pulled them off the list for sale until the manufacturer comes up with something.

I may keep mine as they have no idea yet when a replacement will be available. I have all the parts to assemble mine. New Boyd's laminated stock, bold trigger, brass, dies, molds, KG Gunkote. Action has been drilled and tapped for a scope, rings mounted, bolt handle forged, new extractor and collar for the bolt.

I am thinking of trying to lap it out, or a 'smith suggested I shoot it and see if the metal moves out from the bullet passing thru the constriction. Or I could cut 1 1/4" off the barrel and recrown it. This would leave 19 3/4". Cutting it off would be the method assuring the best results I think.

Buckshot
02-19-2012, 05:36 AM
The Numrich barrels I got are .300" X .3105" bore, except for the 1/8" wide ring that is .308" one inch from the muzzle! The chamber is about .050" short.

I got an e-mail today from Numrich that they were able to find the flaw I told them about in the barrel I sent back. All of the barrels in stock and the second one I have are flawed. Or I could cut 1 1/4" off the barrel and recrown it. This would leave 19 3/4". Cutting it off would be the method assuring the best results I think.

............If you cut it off it's make a super fine outfit in a Mannlicher stock! :-)

............Buckshot

swheeler
02-19-2012, 11:20 AM

I got an e-mail today from Numrich that they were able to find the flaw I told them about in the barrel I sent back. All of the barrels in stock and the second one I have are flawed.
They have pulled them off the list for sale until the manufacturer comes up with something.

I may keep mine as they have no idea yet when a replacement will be available. I have all the parts to assemble mine. New Boyd's laminated stock, bold trigger, brass, dies, molds, KG Gunkote. Action has been drilled and tapped for a scope, rings mounted, bolt handle forged, new extractor and collar for the bolt.

I am thinking of trying to lap it out, or a 'smith suggested I shoot it and see if the metal moves out from the bullet passing thru the constriction. Or I could cut 1 1/4" off the barrel and recrown it. This would leave 19 3/4". Cutting it off would be the method assuring the best results I think.

Interesting problem indeed, a 1 1/4 inch deep counterbore would fix this also. Almost sounds like hammer forged barrels done with a bad mandrel?

uscra112
02-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Numrich sells remainders and other lots that they get cheap. Those are probably made from a run of blanks that couldn't pass QC. Why else would Numrich have 'em? Color me cynical, but I'd never buy a barrel or a blank from Numrich. Old stock parts, yes.....(sometimes).

leadman
02-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Numrich sells some of the same Adams & bennett barrels that Midway does.

My son brought over the Mauser 98 I made for him with an Adams & Bennett 308 Win barrel in the same F14 contour as my 7.62 X 39 barrel. Both are listed as 21", but his is about 19 3/4". After I cut mine off it will be the same length as his. Did A&B forget to cut the barrel off after rifling?

I spoke with a gunsmith that previously worked for a barrel manufacturer rifling barrels and he said after they were done with the rifling, lapping, etc., they would cut up to 2" off each end. Had something to do with the lapping and the rifling cutters entering and leaving the bore.
I suspect A&B is trying to reduce waste, or just an employee not doing what he is supposed to do.