PDA

View Full Version : Best swaging press for the money?

Utah Shooter
01-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Just curious besides reloading press. What is the best for the money? Sea Girt, Walnut hill, Up North or?????

MIBULLETS
01-30-2012, 12:22 AM
I would say, if you are only going to swage bullets and don't want the dual stroke length, that the Sea Girt looks like a strong press and a good buy.

Reload3006
01-30-2012, 08:12 AM
if your only looking for a swage press the BSSP press from Dr. Blackmon is only 150. its basically a mighty mite.
after that the Sea Girt then the Walnut Hill
none really are cheap and there are other ways around it. It kinda leads to the Lee , RCBS, Hornady debate. I suppose your intended use and the amount you use it would dictate what the best value for the money is.

wonderwolf
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
I'll throw my vote in for the Walnut hills press. It is a pricey press however but they do hold their value, Just watched one on ebay that was well used go for $10 under what is listed new and $26 for shipping....I will never need to replace it or any of its parts however. I got the WH press knowing I was going to be swaging larger bullets other than .223 eventually.

Currently working on .375 Swage dies and designing the reamers for the 2 styles of bullets I'll be using (learning as I go on this) I also enjoy the WH press because it serves as a 2nd 50bmg press for my bench when needed.

20nickels
01-30-2012, 04:48 PM
For the money. Modified Lee Classic Cast appears the cheapest. BT has swaged up to .338's on it. I am but an armchair swager though, so there you have it.

MIBULLETS
01-30-2012, 08:54 PM
if your only looking for a swage press the BSSP press from Dr. Blackmon is only 150. its basically a mighty mite.
after that the Sea Girt then the Walnut Hill
none really are cheap and there are other ways around it. It kinda leads to the Lee , RCBS, Hornady debate. I suppose your intended use and the amount you use it would dictate what the best value for the money is.

I would include the Blackmon press too, I just like the vertical presses better than the horizontal. Good press though. Both designs have their pros and cons.