PDA

View Full Version : Lyman / Ideal mould table over time

ohland
01-29-2012, 09:22 PM
As I was attempting to add bullet shapes (FN, L, GC, etc) to the list of moulds in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook,3d edition (pg 116-119), I smacked right into a possible "it depends".

225415 is shown as a 47, while an existing entry shows 55. It might be a typo (imagine that in a Lyman publication?).

Makes me want to say what the hell and scan the three pages, post em, and have done with it.

runfiverun
01-29-2012, 09:34 PM
some of their molds come in 3-4 different weights.
i have several that are the same number but have different nose profiles,
rounded and square lube grooves, and drive bands that vary in height.

ohland
01-30-2012, 10:09 AM
some of their molds come in 3-4 different weights.
i have several that are the same number but have different nose profiles,
rounded and square lube grooves, and drive bands that vary in height.

Yup, there are enough changes over the years to make an accurate mould table a work of a year of research...

.22-10-45
01-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Hello, ohland...Your right about the 225415 at 47gr. I have some early single cavities of this one. later, around the late 70's..early 80's, they changed the shape & weight of this one.
Even more confusing is the habbit of Lyman to re-issue the last didgets of a discontinued mould & stick it on a more modern version! I guess the management of Ideal/Lyman weren't thinking of future collectors.

Suo Gan
01-31-2012, 02:29 AM
I would just list the cherry number and the weight if you have both boolits or when referring to it or just call it old or new. They have made short versions of the same design, and several of their designs that have changed completely over time. Their system is actually a pretty good one in my mind. In the whole scheme of things I'd say this is down near the bottom of things to worry about.

beagle
02-01-2012, 02:29 PM
If you want a fairly comprehensive Lyman mould spreadsheet and want to save some work, PM me. I have one in Excell that I'll be glad to share./beagle