PDA

View Full Version : Glock G30SF Eating Mags

ColColt
01-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Anyone familiar with Glocks? I have a G30SF that has been giving a problem lately. Last time I shot it there were no problems. The other night I decided to try hand feeding it with newly acquired HST's and GDHP's and got my first jam. I put the magazine in with three rounds-one 230 gr HST and two 230 gr GDHP's, racked the slide and let it go-not riding the slide. The round made it about third of the way in the chamber and stopped. I did this a series of times with one out of three times getting the jam. It also did this with Ranger T ammo, something it had always digested before.

I went to the Glock forums and while quite helpful we still couldn't come up with the problem. I found during the testing that the magazine was being chewed up pretty good and I blamed it on that, although I have as yet to figure how that's happening. However, I tried another mag and it began to do the same thing so I quit testing as I didn't want to screw up another mag.

If I didn't know better I could place part of the chambering blame on the trigger bar in that many have had problems with that but, the last time I shot this pistol(about 300 rounds total) there were no issues of FTRTB like now. It had been about 3-4 months since I last shot it so these current issues are baffling. Any ideas where the problem is and how to fix?

I have a new recoil spring but nevertheless decided to do Glocks test to see if it was good by pointing the pistol at a 45 Degree angle, racking the slide back while holding the trigger and letting the slide go forward slowly. It's suppose to go into full battery but it didn't. It lacked about 3/8". I tried another new spring assembly I had and it did the same thing. I thought I'd try the 9mm G19 to see if it did the same thing and it went into battery as expected.

Looking at the pics you can see something is definitely wrong and I hate to send it back to Glock as it was working so well until a few days ago.

This is what the jam looked like. The extractor had picked up the cartridge but it didn't make it all the way up enough and got the jam. This is typical of the Ranger T, HST, GDHP and even ball ammo.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Malfunctions/_DEF4265a.jpg

This is what the magazine looked like after about 6-8 attempts at racking the slide.
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Malfunctions/_DEF4267a.jpg

In this pic you can see how the cases are getting scratched up pretty bad and the beginning of the mag lips becoming distorted on another new mag.
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Malfunctions/_DEF4279a.jpg

justingrosche
01-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Try removing the slide, if you can and check to see if your slide cuts are fully engauged onto the frame rail. There maybe a burr or some thing keeping it from going down all the way. If you get it cocked a little bit when you reassemble the slide on the frame, you can see what your experiencing. Good luck.

ColColt
01-31-2012, 09:19 PM
One problem I know of for sure. The trigger bar's cam is bent so, I've ordered a new one. That could have been part of the problem with jams but I'm still not sure if it had much if anything to do with the condition of the magazines.

Moonie
01-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Please keep us informed about your trouble with this pistol, I have a son that is seriously thinking of getting this exact model.

Blammer
02-02-2012, 08:46 PM
looks like the barrel is dipping too low, I'd disassemble it and see if it wasn't put together correct from last time or if you see something worn out. If not, i'd contact Glock and see about getting it repaired.

Bulltipper
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Glocks are basically bomb proof, and they are really hard to reassemble wrong. There are Glock armorers everywhere, try a call to a few of your local gun shops to hook up with a Glock armorer and I am sure you will have that problem solved on the spot. Please post results as we are very interested.
BT

subsonic
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
It's broke!

Check your extractor spring? Looks like the round is coming out of the mag too soon and sliding up under the extractor too soon.

Guess the only thing near the mag where it is dammaged is the trigger bar. What is everybodys problem with the bar? Haven't been on GT in a long time.

ColColt
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I replaced the trigger bar with a new one today and nothing changed. It's still not feeding properly and the slide(or something) is still nicking the polymer edges...mostly the left side, of the magazine. I've ran out of things to do so tomorrow when I go to the range I'm going to have the armorer(s) look at it. I don't see anytime obvious but something is amuck.

I took the entire j;pistol apart...frame, slide and all and took every piece out to see if there were burs or whatever but to no avail. All looked kosher to me without nothing really sticking out. the extractor spring looks fine as it should since this is a relatively new pistol(less than a year) and not that many rounds through it. Hopefully, I'll find out something tomorrow or maybe they'll want to keep it and check it out.

What is everybodys problem with the bar? Haven't been on GT in a long time.

Last year there was a marathon thread on the trigger bar of the G30SF. Some said it was the cam being too high and others were experiencing the slide rubbing the outer edge of the cam creating a cut in it possibly slowing the slide down and creating a lot of FTRTB issues. Different folks had the 4256 trigger bar while others had either the 4256-1 or 4256-1- TB and on and on the thread went. Mine had the 4256 in that it was the TB with the grooved trigger-it came that way. The grooves hurt my finger so I changed it out for the smooth one from the G21 and that's the one with the 4256-1 on the top of the rear of the trigger bar...cruciform I think it's called. I never had that problem with mine. The problem I've had has been recent-almost like it materialized over night.

This is one of many threads about the G30SF trigger bar problem.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1335082

sub-the recoil spring assembly's new...less than 300 rounds through it but I still replaced it and that didn't help either.

subsonic
02-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Ok. It's the mag release. Take it out and throw it. Then buy a new one and try to remember how to put it in. The mag is going in too far.... That stupid ambi mag release they should have not gone to.

Hope it's that simple!

The best Glocks were the early ones. At least that's the rumor I'm starting since mine is old.:drinks:

ColColt
02-02-2012, 11:22 PM
I have wondered about that. However, it's the same one that was working months ago and I've done nothing to alter it. I don't know if they have Glock parts other than magazines at the gun shop, tomorrow I'll check.

This model doesn't have an ambi mag release, it only works from the left side like a 1911. My G19 has never given a minutes trouble.

Ford SD
02-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Anyone familiar with Glocks? I have a G30SF that has been .

In this pic you can see how the cases are getting scratched up pretty bad and the beginning of the mag lips becoming distorted on another new mag.
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Malfunctions/_DEF4279a.jpg

The last time i shot a Glock was a gen 1-- so Not a expert very far from it

so in the picture is the ejector bent?

and it looks like the rim of the cartridge is directly under the extractor
and it looks like the brass is all the way back in the mag

in the side picture nose of bullet is lower than rim is the mag spring in backwards?

scrapcan
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Also look on the underside of the slide to see if you can see what is chewing up the feed lips on the magazine.

I too would check the magazine release.

I think the ejector looks ok, unless it is bent down. The bend inward is supposed to be there.

This is very interesting. Another option would be to find out who the local law enforcement department armorer is. i would be willing to bet they are glock armorers and have likely seen anything that can go wrong.

ColColt
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
There is nothing on the underneath side of the slide, like a bur or scratch that would cause the mag problems. I've turned that thing inside out and taken it completely apart down to individual components, scoped them out, cleaned them and saw nothing out of the ordinary. That's why this is such a mystery. I wanted to find something visible but alas, nothing was there to my eye.

I haven't taken that particular magazine apart. Others I have but strictly adhere to the way they came out as I've actually gotten mags from S&W where the spring was either upside down or backwards!

Something is causing the cuts and nicks on the magazine. I took it out to the range today and talked with the Glock armorer and showed him the problem magazine and what the slide(or something) was beginning to do to another one. He asked me half a dozen questions, field stripped it and saw noting obvious as well. He wanted me to leave both mags with him and the ammo I brought and said they'd call me Monday when they found the problem. So, hopefully I'll have some info then. Right now it's still a mystery. I've gone over my G19 and looked at the same areas and it looked just like the 45 so, I'm out of answers.

scrapcan
02-03-2012, 03:30 PM
First off I will say I have zero experience with the G30. But other experience I will thow some ideas out there.

one thing you might think about is the shape of the bullet and how and when it goes through the feed cycle. some of the hollowpoint jacketed bullets are short and fat with a short round ogive. Have you tried it with a different mag and some ball ammo? The hollowpoints might be trying to climb the round up the ramp prior to it being released from the feed lips and if more pressure is applied ( mass of slide, strong spring, hand pressure, etc...) it may be spreading the feed lips and then contacting the slide. That would cause all kinds of momentum loss and feed issues.

Just something to think about.

ColColt
02-03-2012, 05:29 PM
It's doing it with all rounds including hard ball-see post #1.

tomme boy
02-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Mag release

scrapcan
02-03-2012, 06:17 PM
You did not mention in what order you tried the ammo and the mags. If you tried both mags with the short fat HP before the ball, damage could have been done.SO does it do it with ball ammo before you try it with the HP rounds?

After you replace the mag release, try the ball rounds in a new mag that has not had the short fat HP. If it runs with the ball with new mag release and new mag, then try the new mag with the short fat HP.

Also are you using the stock 10 round magazines or others? have you used only the stock 10 round mag in the past or others? Sometimes using a longer mag will allow you to tweak the mag release. I saw this when using 17 mags in a 19 without using the filler on outside of mag tube. ( as a side note I was able to file down the rough outer polymer that got chewed up and still use the 17 mag after installing the new mag release, albeit a bit more carefully until I get the outside filler piece)

I, like the others, think this is a mag release issue because based on your pictures the steel feed lips in the mag are still parallel and do not show bending inward or outward.

But at this point it really doesn't matter as you have it in the hands of someone who should be able to address the problem.

Please let us know what you find out.

ColColt
02-04-2012, 09:53 PM
I don't see how the mag release could cause this problem. I'm wondering if this hasn't started before now and I failed to notice the magazine lips started to shred as in post #1.

To reiterate, I never shot the GD ammo as I had just gotten a couple of boxes and wanted to see if all would be well before going to the range. That's when I ran into this problem,. I loaded the mag with 2-3 of the rounds, racked the slide back, released and that's when I got the jam. Tired it again and got the same ting. I tried another magazine and it fed once but the next time it didn't. Then, I saw what the magazine looked like and stopped before I messed up another mag.

I did, however, decide to give it a go just once more and tried it with a couple of ball rounds...same scenario. I wold get one to feed out of three attempts but noticed something, perhaps the slide, was beginning to cut into the polymer of the magazine so I quit.

I'm inclined, and I may be totally off base, to believe the slide is sitting lower in the back and is causing these rub marks on the magazine slowing down the progression of the round gong into the chamber. Hopefully, the armorer will be able to give me good news this Monday or Tuesday.

BTW-All three of these mags are the 10 round variety.

scrapcan
02-27-2012, 05:45 PM
anything new from the glock armorer? What did they say?

subsonic
02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Curious too.

Bulltipper
02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm still interested too!

ColColt
02-27-2012, 09:38 PM
According to the armorer there was an "edge" on the extractor he took care of and "pulsed..." something or other. I didn't catch that or what he meant as it was a message on the answering machine He indicated it was good to go. I went over to the range with a couple other pistols a few days later and asked for the Glock as well. First magazine though the G30SF it went pretty well, Next one took me back to square one again-fail to go completely into battery with the first round racked from the second mag I tried(which was the same mag).

I asked if the armorer was in and it was his day off. I got tired of messing with this thing and sold it. Too many good 45's out there to be fooling around wasting time and money with this one. One things certain-no more Glock 45's for this 'ol boy. It wouldn't feed right, screwed up one of the mags and eats the brass to death. If you're a reloader you don't want a pistol like this. Nicks and dings on the rim and extractor groove, even shows up well on new brass. So, it's gone and good riddance. My M19 is a sweet shooter but this thing has been a real PITA nearly from day one. I'm back to 1911's and HK's for autos. No more Glock 45's.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 09:57 PM
I am curious about how that scoring mark on the inside of the slide that is visible just aft of the hood in the first picture got there. "Something in the milk ain't white.", as grandpappy used to say.

ColColt
02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
I think that was probably grease or oil. I don't recall any marks being there. Something just wasn't quite right with this pistol and it was useless taking it to an "armorer" apparently. The G30 may not be representative of the problems the SF version had, I don't know but this one had been a real headache. I took it totally apart, cleaned everything about it, lightly oiled the places Glock recommended and it was still a no go clambering.

I still have in the back of my mind it was an extractor problem but will never know now for sure. The only two things that cause a FTRTB issue are mag springs/follower problems or an extractor that's too tight. Sometimes it the geometry of the feed ramp. I tried several magazines so, that pretty well narrowed it down for me..