PDA

View Full Version : Dillon SD - Moving to a progressive after 20 years of reloading

Racingsnake
01-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi Guys,

I need some advice before switching to a progressive.

I'm considering the Dillon Square Deal because I only load 38 special.

The one thing holding me back however is the fear of a squib load from a 'no charge' I may not detect. I'm so accustomed to doing visual checks before seating bullets -am I being over concerned?

Thanks, Racingsnake

Dan Cash
01-29-2012, 06:51 PM
If you pull the lever far enough to throw a charge, you will advance the shell plate. If you have not activated the powder measure sufficiently to drop a charge, the plate won't advance. You will find the SD a fantastic press for your application; fast too.

marvelshooter
01-29-2012, 06:53 PM
The only time I ever got a round without powder from my SD was when the shoulder bolt that the bell crank pivots on loosened up. This allowed the powder slide to sit while the bell crank moved hence no powder. I permanently fixed that problem with some loctite and a screw threaded into the shoulder bolt hole from the back side to lock it further. Then I set up a light so I could easily see powder in the case before I set a bullet. I have an older SD and the powder measure may have been improved since then. Either way I would not hesitate to recommend one as long as you are only going to load pistol ammo. Good luck. Dan

Walt
01-29-2012, 07:33 PM
IMO, for a casual shooter that loads only one pistol caliber the SDB is perfect.

KohlerK91
01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
If you only load "one" caliber and thats its. I would go with a Star Progressive. They can be had for less than a new Dillon Sqaure Deal and Im my opimion is 10 times the machine. And you wont need the NO B.S. warranty

Look them up online Search "Star Progressive" Go to Star reloaders.com

Be careful they are an addicting piece of equipment. The will multiply if you let them.

Jammer Six
01-29-2012, 11:44 PM
You can develop a habit of looking at the powder. It's what I do.

The Square Deal is perfect for you.

KYCaster
01-30-2012, 07:53 PM
I leave the locater pin out of station three so I can pull the charged case out and look at the powder level before I seat a boolit.

Yeah, it slows me down some, but I won't seat a boolit without first visually checking the powder charge and the SD just doesn't have enough space to look into the case.

Jerry

hiram1
01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
dillon is real good

Alvarez Kelly
01-31-2012, 01:28 AM
I have loaded tens of 1000's of 38 Specials on Dillon Square Deals...

Start out slow. Learn how it works. Check everything twice, or three times, or more... until you are comfortable. Watch the powder measure actuate until you are comfortable with how it feels as you are operating it. Somewhere around 500 to 1000 rounds, you will KNOW what it feels like when things are right.

The Square Deal is an excellent machine for someone who only wants to load one pistol caliber. You won't regret getting one.

Enjoy!

fredj338
01-31-2012, 04:55 AM
USe a powder that fills the case half full & you can see inside before you place the bullet. I load ona 550 & 650, I always visually check the powder charge.

Racingsnake
01-31-2012, 06:02 AM
Guys, thanks so much for the advice. Seems like the machine for me and I like the simplicity.

Regards, Racingsnake

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2012, 07:11 AM
great little press that will really crank out the ammo!

seagiant
01-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Hi,
Ok, I'm a big guy and I don't like being cramped while reloading. For this reason I sort of blew off the Dillon SD because it is probably the smallest progressive made. I finally HAD to buy one as the deal was so good,it was set up in 45ACP. I was also using a Dillon 550B at the time. After using both I prefered the SD! I hear of people that have a SD for each caliber that they reload and can understand that! A great little machine!

As far as going the Star route I would agree if you want to go to the alter to pray everyday as I believe they are still the best p.press ever made!!! However for the average reloader just getting into the game the SD would be alot more user friendly and you have parts and support at a phone call away. I had 3 Stars at one time so know of what I speak. In the end of course it's what rocks your boat!

Moonman
01-31-2012, 09:45 AM
The Dillon Square D will handle your needs. Pistol, especially 1 caliber, it will make PILES of loaded ammo.

W.R.Buchanan
01-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Racingsnake? Don Prudehome?

The SDB is perfect for what you want to do.

As far as your concerns on squib loads. You will quickly learn to look in the case as you put the bullet in place. There is also a guy here at the site who has a really neat lighting system that sticks to the underside of your machine which lights it up so you can see the powder level easily.

Believe what has been said above, these machines are a delight to use, and you will love it as soon as you are making ammo.

If you buy it from the factory it will probably be close to being set up for your speific load too.

I have two of them and I recommend them to anyone who loads less than commercial quantities of pistol ammo.

They are just that good.

Randy

archmaker
02-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Just started with my first progressive, a Hornady AP. (last night actually first time to use it)

Setup a LED flashlight to shine down into the case right where it was moving as I was about to place a bullet on it, helped me to focus on the case. (did the light AFTER I realized I had a problem). I found a vendor sponser on this site that has some LED strips to help light up that part of the press, order some, so we will see how that works out, looks like it should be a good thing.

I had a problem with some squib loads, so pulled some boolits today. I had not tightened down the powder assembly and it was only doing a partial throw.

Take your time, I went through the process of loading a round and watching it advance and figuring out how things work several times before putting on dies or filling the hopper with powder.

I have used a RCBS Reloader Special for well over 3 decades now, and I agree about wanting to see into the case.

Take your time and don't second guess your rounds, if you are not sure they are right, pull them, that is why I have a bullet puller. As quick as you can produce rounds losing a few by pulling what you suspect can be made up in no time! The piece of mind about knowing my reloads is right is worth everything to me.

Racingsnake
02-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Your posts give me a lot of confidence in my decision...thanks again

Racingsnake

chriscarbon
02-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Racingsnake,
The Square Deal was the first progressive press that I had. I was a single stage press man and it was hard to switch to a progressive press. However with the amount of reloading that I needed to do it was a nescessity. The square deal worked great for me. I also had a light and my reloading stool was cheaed to one side so I could see the powder in the case. When I decided That I needed a press to load several calibers I went to the 550 Dillon. I was able to get the same price that I paid for it three years latter. For one caliber you won't go wrong with the square deal.
Chris

Throckmorton
02-04-2012, 07:12 PM
I have an SDB,and a 550b. I MUCH prefer the handroom and versatility of the 550b,but the sdb sure will get the job done.

I disagree that the case will not advance unless the powder has dropped re: stroke length. I ony have to move the handle up and down a little bit to engage the case advance feature.So,don't
'bobble' the stroke,and if u do,pull all cases and get things back to square 1 before continuing on.

shooterg
02-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Got my old Lee single stage, a 550, and a SD. For one caliber , one load, cannot beat a SD. Like you, I shoot a lot of .38, no squibs yet. Only bobble I've had is Wolf primers not fully seating. They seem to be a tighter fit that the Winchester and CCI's I had used. I check 'em all anyway, sometimes haveta finish a small percent of primer seating with the old Lee ram prime.