PDA

View Full Version : gas checks for canadians.

danyboy
01-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Anyone knows where to get gas checks in canada ? Obama won't let us import them anymore.

grumman581
01-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Anyone knows where to get gas checks in canada ? Obama won't let us import them anymore.

Where do you live in Canada? Too far to just drive across the border and pick some up there?

Sounds like you need to find a good friend in the US that would ship them over to you labeled as a "gift".... Or maybe as "seed starter cups"?

Or maybe you should just buy the dies from PatMarlins or whomever and start making your own... Ya'll still can buy rolls of thin aluminum or copper, right?

gvanzeggelaar
01-29-2012, 06:25 PM
They are octogon. We shoot only glocks. :-)

Ola
01-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Importing GC's is not a problem in Europe. Obama must really hate Canada.

OBIII
01-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Can't tell them they are caps for miniature beer bottles?

dnepr
01-29-2012, 07:15 PM
http://dragonbulletlube.com/

this is were I got mine last time , they are still listing them

Moondawg
01-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Our Presidetn is just trying to get even with Canada for trying to build a pipeline through the U.S. that will take oil to Texas. Mr. O hates Texas and does not want to help our petrochemical industry. He also does not want all that filthy oil from Canada coming into the U.S. He wants us driving clean electric cars, and to stop using/depending on dirty oil, natural gas, nuke power and coal. If ya'll hadn't tried to force the oil thingie on us, you would be awash in good ole made in the U.S. gas checks.

Moondawg
01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
I forgot to add a :holysheep to the above post on gas checks. :bigsmyl2:

longbow
01-29-2012, 07:36 PM
danyboy:

Are you sure gas checks are included in the reloading component export restrictions?

I hadn't thought about gas checks as being a problem but they are reloading components so...

In any case, I made my own simple GC maker that works pretty well so not a problem for me.

Surely there is a gunshop locally that can order them for you. If not, you might try ordering direct by mail. It seems that several suppliers in the States will send direct especially if the order is less than $100.00. If they have and FFL there should be no problem for them to export. I recently ordered directly from Brownells for a scope mount that my local gun store could not get and gad no problem.

About the only other option is to order a Freechex II or III, or as mentioned the PatMarlin checkmaker and make your own... or try paper patching.

Good luck.

Longbow

MT Chambers
01-29-2012, 08:30 PM
I've had GCs shipped to Canada from the good folks on this site, just can't remember his name!

danyboy
01-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks to all for the tips and jokes. Yes they are included in reloading componants. I tried ordering them from Sanchez and got a negative reply from one of their clerks explaining american government restrictions. As for shopping at northern states in person, aren't allowed to have any ammo or reloading componant on your way to the canadian border in your car if you're not american.

danyboy
01-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Moondawg,
Been working in refineries for years and heard about this pipeline long before Obama was in power. Actually, the pipeline is for bulk unrefined bitume which is meant to be refined in the states and sold back to you and us. It would eventually make the US more independant from the OPEP and shut down gradually some of our refineries. Of course, electric cars and what not are in their plans but I will probably never see it in my lifetime.
Dnepr,
Just ordered them from DragonBulletLube and it went through.
Thanks

grumman581
01-30-2012, 03:01 AM
Thanks to all for the tips and jokes. Yes they are included in reloading componants. I tried ordering them from Sanchez and got a negative reply from one of their clerks explaining american government restrictions. As for shopping at northern states in person, aren't allowed to have any ammo or reloading componant on your way to the canadian border in your car if you're not american.

I'm not sure I would classify them as "reloading components" since your bullet doesn't *have* to have them in order to fire... I might consider primers and powder reloading components... So, if you carry 50 lbs of lead ingots across the border, it's not "reloading components", but if you carry 50 lbs of cast bullets, it would be?

If I lived in Canada near the border and there was somewhere in the US right across the border that had the gas checks, I would just buy them and go back across the border with them. Besides, it's unlikely the Canadian border guys would even know what they were.

Depending upon how often you need gas checks, buying one of the gas check making dies might be your best bet... I've considering buying one, but I can't decide between the FreeChex one and the one by PatMarlins... I've heard of some people making their own dies though...

Sonnypie
01-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Our Presidetn is just trying to get even with Canada for trying to build a pipeline through the U.S. that will take oil to Texas. Mr. O hates Texas and does not want to help our petrochemical industry. He also does not want all that filthy oil from Canada coming into the U.S. He wants us driving clean electric cars, and to stop using/depending on dirty oil, natural gas, nuke power and coal. If ya'll hadn't tried to force the oil thingie on us, you would be awash in good ole made in the U.S. gas checks.

Actually, Mr. O hates America.
But it is 2012, vote him out.
I never voted the illegal alien in. [smilie=1:

Sasquatch-1
01-30-2012, 07:22 AM
He wants us driving clean electric cars, and to stop using/depending on dirty oil, natural gas, nuke power and coal. If ya'll hadn't tried to force the oil thingie on us, you would be awash in good ole made in the U.S. gas checks.

If he doesn't want us using any of the above how does he plan on generating enough eletricity for the cars? The enviornmentalist will not allow him to build wind farms, they destroy the landscape.

I know, he is trying to find "Tony Stark" and have him build him one of those little generators he uses to power his Ironman suits. Hasn't anyone told him he is fictional?

Sasquatch-1
01-30-2012, 07:30 AM
As for shopping at northern states in person, aren't allowed to have any ammo or reloading componant on your way to the canadian border in your car if you're not american.

Sounds like you should befriend a couple of people from the States who like hunting in Canada and arrange a hunting party a couple of times a year. Then you just have them bring up what they can of the items you need.

303british.com
01-30-2012, 08:47 AM
You can also check in with Epps Sporting Goods. www.ellwoodepps.com . I bought 2000 - 44 gas checks from them before Christmas and they mail order.

sirgknight
01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Maybe this is a very ignorant scenerio, but let's assume that I mail 500 gas checks to a friend of mine in Canada. First off, would the envelope be opened to see what they are? Secondly, how would it be determined that the little cups are "illegal"? I can understand bullets, powder and primers, but lead ingots or gaschecks? C'Mon Man.......

303british.com
01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Customs here might open the envelope and examine the contents, but gas checks would not be turned back.

For example, it's not illegal to have someone mail you cast or jacketed bullets to Canada. It may not be legal to export them from the US however. Same with gun barrels, scopes, etc.

There is a list of components and equipment that the US does not allow exported, unless the destination point has obtained a permit.

Jamesconn
01-30-2012, 10:23 PM
I say get a check maker if ya can't do that have somebody come up with a couple thousand from america and do a GB with canadians

oldgeezershooter
01-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Label them as "Flautulence Stops"

longbow
01-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Actually the problem is not importing into Canada. It is illegal to export gun/reloading "stuff" from the States.

If it is considered ammunition, reloading components or other specified gun related components you (private individual or business) has to have a US FFL to legally export gun "stuff".

Homeland Security apparently sets up check points along roads with border access and does spot checks of vehicles heading for Canada. If you are Canadian you are likely to just get said "stuff" confiscated but if you are American you could be in big trouble. I have heard of these checkpoints but have never seen one.

I suspect that shipping small quantities of "stuff" would not result in any significant penalty IF it was discovered leaving the States. Not sure what the chances of discovery are but likely very small. It is the shipper in for trouble though, not the receiver. So you rolls the dice and takes your chances.

I have copies of BATF documents spelling out the restrictions and penalties.

Longbow

Sagebrush7
01-31-2012, 11:08 AM
I have GC customers in Canada. I claim them as caps. No problems!

303british.com
01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
It's doubtful that gas checks are actually listed. I have yet to determine how our customs performs their job. Some stuff gets opened, other stuff is ignored. It's probably too many packages and too few inspectors.

gunfan
01-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Don't call them "gas checks" call them "gas credit cards." LOL! HA! I KILL me!

(I've got them eating out of my hand, Willy!)

Scott

scrapcan
01-31-2012, 06:22 PM
sounds like you might be trying to buy a large batch of x size frost plugs?

bowfin
01-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Gas checks would look a lot like copper tubing plugs, so I wouldn't see a problem in sending those...[smilie=1:

I think they could also be called valve checks, tubing seats, or I could come up with more names.

Let me know if you need any of these hardware thingies, but promise you won't use them except for plugging copper tubes, checking valves, or seating in tubes.

bowfin
01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
How about copper end caps? You could solder them on the end of copper tubes or such...

ricksplace
01-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Dragon Bullet Lube in Ontario. I have bought checks from them. They ship promptly and prices are competitive. Check out their bullet lube prices! No, I don't know the guy, but I appreciate good customer service.

grumman581
02-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Don't call them "gas checks" call them "gas credit cards."

Or:

Lead condoms
Copper condoms

danyboy
02-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Here is a copy of the answer Sanchez gave me when I tried to order 1000 X .264 gas checks.

Subject: Natchez Order Canceled - Number 7950105474937740
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:11:48 -0500

Dear Customer,
I have received your internet order. However, as mentioned on our web site under the "International orders" section, the order contains items that require an export license to ship out of the country. Our company does not ship any item that requires an export license as we are not authorized by our government for such transactions.
Restricted items include: ammunition, any component of ammunition, gun parts (including magazines and gun stocks), black powder guns, night vision, night sights, rifle/handgun/shotgun/airgun scopes and mounts for the scopes, bipods, speed loaders, and lasers.
I have cancelled the order and no charges will appear on your credit card account.
If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,

I don't decide what to write on the box, they do.

grumman581
02-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Here is a copy of the answer Sanchez gave me when I tried to order 1000 X .264 gas checks.

<snip>

I don't decide what to write on the box, they do.

Sounds like you should try a different seller...

danyboy
02-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Ya, sounds like a good idea but I just might buy one of those arbor press and make my own. Thought that reloading my own ammo would save me money 15 years ago; I keep buying more tools and equipment. It just seems to never end.
Have been through one og those checkpoints in 2009 getting to the canadian border coming back from a vacation from down south once. Sort of a temporary customs roadblock about a mile before the canadian border with cars with yellow lights on top, sort of security agents wearing jeans with .357's, one of them lying down and checking under my car, another one asking me if I was bringing anything from the states. I thought I was dreaming. Couldn't believe it.

grumman581
02-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Ya, sounds like a good idea but I just might buy one of those arbor press and make my own. Thought that reloading my own ammo would save me money 15 years ago; I keep buying more tools and equipment. It just seems to never end.
Have been through one og those checkpoints in 2009 getting to the canadian border coming back from a vacation from down south once. Sort of a temporary customs roadblock about a mile before the canadian border with cars with yellow lights on top, sort of security agents wearing jeans with .357's, one of them lying down and checking under my car, another one asking me if I was bringing anything from the states. I thought I was dreaming. Couldn't believe it.

I guess you could have told them, "I have some US beer because I couldn't find any crappy beer back home in Canada"... :)

Sonnypie
02-03-2012, 01:33 AM
I mailed bullets to Great Britain.
I declared them "gifts" A Hat and Cast metal art forms.

It's all in the wording. [smilie=1:

The PO wanted to know what I had in a Priority Mail box going out today.
Brass and cast metal art forms. ;)

I'm not a damned reloader...
I, ahem, am an Ammunition Arteest. :holysheep :mrgreen:

TinCan Assassin
02-03-2012, 02:34 AM
Has to be said:

Bang eh, Bang eh, Bang eh...

TCA

Hamish
02-03-2012, 08:40 AM
I smell an opportunity up there, eh? A little entreprenuereal shot, so to say?

Just because HS is afeered that herds of Canucks will come thundering accross the border with their 30-30's and what not instead of Canadian bacon, does'nt mean their fears are'nt justified, eh?

grumman581
02-03-2012, 09:14 AM
I smell an opportunity up there, eh? A little entreprenuereal shot, so to say?

I think someone would be able to market some assorted diameter copper caps to be used for decorative purposed (charms, holiday trees, etc) for sell to folks in Canada... Being the law abiding folks that the 51st Staters are, they wouldn't use them for any nefarious purposes, eh?:-P

Sasquatch-1
02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
:mrgreen:I thought they were very small freeze plugs for older engines. I know my old 64 Ford use to corrude one about every 30 seconds so you need to lay in a large supply.

grumman581
02-03-2012, 03:33 PM
:mrgreen:I thought they were very small freeze plugs for older engines. I know my old 64 Ford use to corrude one about every 30 seconds so you need to lay in a large supply.

I think you might have a point there... They really do look like freeze plugs...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Milodon/697/34040/10002/-1?CT=999

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/600/697/697-34040.jpg

Sasquatch-1
02-03-2012, 03:54 PM
I think you might have a point there... They really do look like freeze plugs...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Milodon/697/34040/10002/-1?CT=999

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/600/697/697-34040.jpg

Would I lie to you?[smilie=1:

Sonnypie
02-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Would I lie to you?[smilie=1:

What the hell!
You're a Sasquatch.
Of course you'll lie.
Lie and run away and hide in the woods. :drinks:

danyboy
02-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Never thought this topic would generate so many ideas and comments. In Europe, citizens cross from one country to another without any problems. Canada are neighbours for pete's sake and there is so much paperwork and tension at the border, especially since 2001.
I remember crossing with my father for a visit, a vacation or shopping at least once a year and don't recall this many formalities. I hope one day these government exagerations will ease up so citizens of both countries will become like good visiting neighbours. I don't have problems with my neighbours; we actually help out one another. May be I am an idealist or a dreamer but I think things are getting out of hands a little too much

DrNick
02-04-2012, 04:43 PM

Funny...I've ordered them from Midsouth Shooters Supply serveral times....no issues exporting....

Higginson Powders in Ontartio (www.higginsonpowders.com) stocks them too...

grumman581
02-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Never thought this topic would generate so many ideas and comments. In Europe, citizens cross from one country to another without any problems. Canada are neighbours for pete's sake and there is so much paperwork and tension at the border, especially since 2001.
I remember crossing with my father for a visit, a vacation or shopping at least once a year and don't recall this many formalities. I hope one day these government exagerations will ease up so citizens of both countries will become like good visiting neighbours. I don't have problems with my neighbours; we actually help out one another. May be I am an idealist or a dreamer but I think things are getting out of hands a little too much

The problem is that we have the dastardly Canadians coming down here and bringing their corrupt culture and ruining our way of life... This sort of excrement has resulted in some rather abhorrent abominations over the years (e.g. hockey teams in Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas)... So far at least, we've managed to restrict the spread of poutine so that as far as I know, it still stays north of the border or at the very worst is just a border state problem...

geargnasher
02-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm not suggesting anyone do anything outright illegal, but one must think that if the burden of penalty is on the shipper due to US export laws, fabricating a name on the return address label and using the street address from a vacant lot somewhere should be sufficient insulation to avoid any issues if they did happen to come up. How are they going to know?

Gear

DrNick
02-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Again folks...Midsouth Shooter Supply, a pretty big outfit, routinely ships gas checks to me....

This is all likely interperetation of regulations....it could be argued that a gas check, in and of itself, does not necessairly constitue reloading components.

grumman581
02-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm not suggesting anyone do anything outright illegal, but one must think that if the burden of penalty is on the shipper due to US export laws, fabricating a name on the return address label and using the street address from a vacant lot somewhere should be sufficient insulation to avoid any issues if they did happen to come up. How are they going to know?

Gear

Just use rubber gloves when you handle the package so that they can't lift any prints off of it -- just in case...

A little paranoia is a healthy thing...

"I trust my government -- as far as I can throw Mount Rushmore!"

hk33ka1
02-05-2012, 07:20 PM
This export permit stuff is not an Obama policy so it can't be blamed on him. The last administration wrote it.

Almost any gunshop in Canada that sells reloading gear can get gas checks. Hornady seem to be the most common. Many new online reloading suppliers too. There is a guy that sells Gator checks in Canada too. These guys all get the US/Canadian paperwork done for products that need it and bring them up.

largom
02-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I have shipped "items" to Canada several times listed simply as machine parts.

Larry

209jones
02-12-2012, 04:46 PM
If you look at the various store sites it becomes a little strange to look at. Canuck market is very small, export licence and permits are very expensive, and labour intensive as far as the paperwork issue goes. There is enough niche business for some stores to participate, and there are products which can be shipped without the licences being req'd.
Ie; Cabelas will not ship chokes, reloading presses, dies.
Chokes are an ITAR item, presses and dies are not.
Basspro will ship chokes.
There is now a sticky thread on canadiangunnutz showing how to deal with Brownell's and what paperwork that needs doing to get stuff that is ITAR restricted out of them. Which essentially is a guide for any US vendor.

Sonnypie
02-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I shipped 20 bullets to Great Britain as "Cast Metal Art Forms".
No problem.

Oh wait... somebody in black suits are knocking on the door....

I don't think those are Jehovah Witnesses, Maude... [smilie=l:

It's an Obamanation! :killingpc [smilie=p:

But, undocumented aliens are welcome! The DNC Welcomes your votes!

arjacobson
02-12-2012, 09:43 PM
This is simple fellas.. they are aluminum carbureter WELCH plugs. Ever work on a tillotson carb? They have the little aluminum plugs inside?? Yep one shipment should rebuild every carb in Canada:bigsmyl2:

GRid.1569
02-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Gas checks must be regarded as reloading compoments... I've just had an order I placed with Sinclair (Brownells) bounced back for an export permit....

Expected turnaround, 30-45 days after they get the paperwork back from me...

Given I'm in the US next week and hoped to save on the shipping, this is now a non-starter....:(

Oh well.... guess I'll just have to buy in the UK @ inflated prices... equiv $45 per K

DrNick
02-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Gas checks must be regarded as reloading compoments... I've just had an order I placed with Sinclair (Brownells) bounced back for an export permit....

Expected turnaround, 30-45 days after they get the paperwork back from me...

Given I'm in the US next week and hoped to save on the shipping, this is now a non-starter....:(

Oh well.... guess I'll just have to buy in the UK @ inflated prices... equiv $45 per K

NOBODY EVER LISTENS TO ME......

Midsouth Shooters Supply ships gas checks to Canada......why not the UK?

Given that you are in the UK, you might also consider buying them through either Higginson's Powders (www.higginsonpowders.com) for Hornady checks or Dragon Bullet Lube (http://dragonbulletlube.com/) for Gator checks. Both are located in Canada and can ship to the UK with NO export restrictions. I bought checks form Midsouth on a several occasions because I had an order being shipped anyway and it was a dollar or two cheaper....

grumman581
02-24-2012, 11:59 AM

Buy a wide assortment of packages of beads and jewelry findings and put the gas checks in a similar package. When you go back overseas, just declare it all as assorted costume jewelry parts. Or take a few of them and glue them on a colored t-shirt as a design and declare the rest of them as "copper sequins".

You just need to "think outside the box"...

Sasquatch-1
02-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Or maybe for around a hundred dollars he buys a gas check maker and never has to worry about it again.

arjacobson
02-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Or maybe for around a hundred dollars he buys a gas check maker and never has to worry about it again.

PLUS 1:mrgreen:

grumman581
02-25-2012, 10:03 AM

That was suggested quite awhile back...