PDA

View Full Version : starting out in casting, what to buy...

01-29-2012, 05:18 PM
starting out in casting, what to buy...

I like good quality stuff.
But do not need the best.

Perhaps it is more like advoiding the expence and hassle of buying the wrong stuff.
Then buying again.

The Lyman casting book is in the mail.

bmac1949
01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm new at this too but my suggestion is to first collect your raw lead (mine was WW) and get it smelted down into ingots. Small ingots for the harder alloys like linotype because you'll be adding the to the softer alloys like WW to make it a bit harder for anything that shoots over 1000fps. While your collecting and smelting your lead start reading everything you can about the process of making boolits. then you'll need a furnace (bottom pour is preferable), molds for your caliber, probably sizing dies and lube. As a fellow noob good luck and have fun.

wv109323
01-29-2012, 08:57 PM
That is a tough question to answer with not much info.
If you are going with one bullet configuration then you might consider a "shoot as cast" mold from Lee and tumble lube the bullets. For that you need a mold ,lead pot ( I would get a 10 lb. bottom pour)and some bullet lube.
How you get your lead supply is another question. If you are going with wheel weights or range scrap or any other raw source then you need a way to smelt and flux the lead before you put it in your casting pot.
If you are going big scale ,then you need a 20 lb pot, whatever molds you want and a bullet lubricater/ sizer( including all the appropriate sizing dies and top punches) along with lube.
One thing I would suggest is that you look at all the mold manufacturers and choose one or two manufacturers to buy your molds from. Matching molds with the right mold handles can be a challenge especially if you acquire some of the older molds. The handles can be nearly as expensive as the molds.
If you are going for much volume then you need to be looking a 4,6 or 8 cavity molds. These definetly need a 20 lb. pot.
As a general rule most all manufacturers make good stuff. Lee moulds are acceptable but
since they are the least expensive they are more prone for screw and bolts threads to give you problems.
I hope this helps . Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Used equipment is out there but I have never been able to find what I wanted a the time I was looking. My experience is that you might find some of the more common things used but for the most part you are better off buying new and getting exactely what you want.

01-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Not much chances to get used stuff where I live.

My 1st goal is 500g or so postel style bullets for a sharps 45 70.
Maybe 500 to 1000 rounds per year.

May try later on 454 balls for my ruger old army.
Though the hornady balls work well.

One confusing thing is furnaces from $40 to $400.
What does a guy need.

MBTcustom
01-30-2012, 07:48 AM
I use a Coleman stove with a SS pot. I have for years. You need a good mold, I would buy what I could afford RCBS is quality. Do some reading here before you go grabbing the first "good lookin" boolit that walks across your screen. Treat it like a woman, you got to court her, get to know her, before you take her home permanently. You can get boolits to try from members here for a small nominal fee to cover shipping lots of times. Just go to the spot where like minded folks hange out and say "I need boolits" and then duck.:lol:
Yeah, just like you did here, you ask for help and you will get it.
You also should get some calipers, and a 0-1" micrometer. If you need a tutorial on how to use them shoot me a PM, I'm a 15year machinist.

01-31-2012, 05:52 AM
Good info, thanks.

35Whelen
01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
I started out gathering my casting equipment as follows:

Turkey frier purchased from Walmart at the end of the summer season. $45 and came with a 550 degree thermometer.

Cast iron 4 qt dutch oven with handles for a smelting pot...Cabelas bargain cave $14

Stainless steel Ladle, spoon for dross, spoon for stirring and fluxing, muffin tins for casting ingots at the local thrift store

Condiment cups for smaller ingots at the local dollar store.

WW where I am go for a case of soda, or beer depending on who's working. So far 7 five gallon pails for about $60 maybe....two were free.

Moulds were purchased new from Tom at Accurate moulds...super fast this guy. Three weeks tops for each mould. I bought brass, a bit heavier but I understand bullets just fall out.

Now I am hoping that there is enough tin in the WW that I don't have to add any tin for good moould fill outs...this stuff is so expensive.

Now I just need to wait for it to stop snowing and I can do some smelting....

a.squibload
02-05-2012, 05:06 PM
... then you'll need a furnace (bottom pour is preferable)

I prefer ladle casting, cheaper to start & less maintenance.
Still using a quart-size enameled pot. You'll need a Coleman stove
or other heat source, I use the same propane burner
I made for smelting. Maybe I'm cheap but $ saved on equip. can be spent on supplies or guns!