PDA

View Full Version : Passed on a levergun

TXGunNut
01-29-2012, 11:04 AM
My new year's resolution to not buy a rifle this year is intact, but just barely. Saw a well-used 94 in 30-30 in the used gun rack yesterday. Action was slick but the exterior was rough, 80% would be a generous rating. Receiver pretty well spotted and more than a little surface rust. Built in 1978, IIRC. Had an ugly scope mount and old scope on it and bore was pretty well fouled. Wood was kinda pretty in spite of having spent a fair bit of time in a gun rack in the back window of a pickup.
I have a sweet Trapper in 30-30 but seldom shoot it anymore, let alone hunt with it. Not many 98% Trappers out there, want to keep it that pretty.
Sure hope somebody buys that thing, priced attractively too.

pls1911
01-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Are all of us in Texas enrolled in the same 12 step program.?
My wife says I'm no longer a Marlin collector, but have graduated to hoarder...
I have a few in restoration stages, but really don't have room for what I have let alone more.
However, if the right one at a give away price comes along, ... uh, er...
I'll let you know ....

Boerrancher
01-29-2012, 12:14 PM
It is not just you fellas in Texas that are dealing with hoarding issues. The wife keeps putting me in the 12 step program telling me I can't get any more guns, and I keep failing at it miserably.

Best wishes,

Joe

Milsurp Junkie
01-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Where in Texas?

kliff
01-29-2012, 12:36 PM
My dear wife passed away, little over a year ago, due to cancer, and I miss her sorely. But for now, all I can think of, concerning guns, boolits, reloading, and anything associated with the sport is..... "MORE is BETTER!"

I love you, even in your absence Cathy, but you know me, and there is no half-way. Love you Babe, and see you again one day, until then, I'm having multiple sordid affairs with hussies made of steel and wood, fired by volatile powders, and hardly cheap....

Olevern
01-29-2012, 12:43 PM
My wife has tried to put me on a 12 gun (a year) program, but not a 12 step program. That wasn't so effective, I went way over that limit last year and on track to break it this year too.

TXGunNut
01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Where in Texas? -Milsurp Junkie

Feel like an enabler here but it's @ my buddy's range/gunshop just north of Texas Motor Speedway. Some folks call it Quail Creek Range but I call it my second home. I showed it to another buddy today but we got distracted by his Spencer rifle, 56-52 I believe he called it. Built in 1864 with military markings. Now there's a levergun!

Texnmidwest
01-29-2012, 10:22 PM
My gosh I love lever guns! The surprising thing is that I only own two of them! One Glenfield 30-30 and one Savage 99. I find them needing TLC from time to time and have a great time cleaning them up and reselling them. I just can't resist the pleasure and feel of them!

12 step programs? Step 1) Find the gun shops that carry used guns at reasonable prices. (Tex, moons Cabela's and bows with reverence to those mom and pop shops in small towns. Martin's Sporting Goods in Monroe Wisconsin.....see ya'll soon!

TXGunNut
01-29-2012, 11:42 PM
We used to have a few great old mom & pop gunshops around here but they're pretty much a thing of the past with a Cabelas, Bass Pro, Cheaper-n-Dirt and a few others within an hour's drive, not to mention mail order....er cyber commerce.

atr
01-30-2012, 12:08 AM
I gave up a long time ago trying to cure my addiction.......

starmac
01-30-2012, 12:16 AM
I gave up a long time ago trying to cure my addiction.......

The cure is not an option most can live with.

TXGunNut
01-30-2012, 03:03 AM
I bought almost every clean levergun that showed up several years ago on the used gun rack @ a local mom & pop LGS, still have a few and they've doubled or tripled in value. Problem is, I can't bear to sell them.

bob208
02-01-2012, 07:55 PM
you guys are not thinking right after you get so many.the wife can not tell if you add another to the pile. it helps to have 2 or 3 major piles that way you put the new addition in the one she is not watching.

starmac
02-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Just do not make the mistake of telling them , I bought this one for you when you get caught.
They never forget, 30 years later it will still be theirs and you will be reminded of it every time you use it.

TXGunNut
02-01-2012, 11:27 PM
For you married guys out there: never leave the house empty-handed when going to the range/LGS/big box sporting goods store. Carry a gun case. For the times when one ambushes you on your lunch break at the pawn shop keep a case in the car. Gun cases are cheaper than lawyers!
Don't listen to me, I'm a confirmed bachelor. I can walk in nekkid with a gun in each hand and the dog just wants to go out to take care of business.

Boondocker
02-02-2012, 09:39 AM
When did you get that rifle, This old thing I had it before we was married. I just can't come to do it tho.

Milsurp Junkie
02-02-2012, 09:44 AM
A little to far north for me to get to on my lunch hour (I am in Austin).
My wife has put up with my gun addiction. Then again, she knows that I can't fit any more guns in my safe. If I buy one, I have to make a decision over which one leaves...

TXGunNut
02-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I wasn't suggesting lying to your better half, Boondocker. If the question never comes up you won't have to 'splain yourself.
Want me to pick it up and meet you for lunch @ the Elite Grill in Waco, Milsurp Junkie? I can also fix you up with a Knaack Jobmaster Chest. Perfect for storing tools, important files, bulk ammo and lead (for ballast).....and mebbe a rifle or two. ;)

krag35
02-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Back when I was single, My daughter reffered to me buying guns as a 12 step program. Buy a gun,walk 12 steps, buy another, walk 12 steps........... It wasn't quite that bad, but I was up to 70 some long guns at one point.

TXGunNut
02-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Back when my profession paid better I and a co-worker formed what we call Gun-of-the-Month Club. I think I still have many of the guns from that period but I don't think he does. Seems he experienced a rather ugly divorce.
Going to the range tomorrow with the .32 and some BP loads for the Uberti Bird's Head...if it stops raining. Hope that levergun has found a home by then. [smilie=f:

1Shirt
02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Have a THING for all guns that shoot better than I can, and that is most of them. Have a fondness for Levers, and bolt actions, and single shots, with #l and #3's and, and,and, only excepetion is for semi auto rifles and shotguns.
1Shirt![smilie=w:

TXGunNut
02-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Poor thing was still there Sunday with a fresh ugly gouge in the buttstock.:cry: If It's still there Saturday I'll rescue it. Buying a car this week so might as well have a little fun before the checkbook goes back in the safe. It'll be a project but I don't have (or NEED!) a thutty-thutty shooter.

Lefthandshooter
02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I really desire a Marlin 1895 45-7- govt lever, but my shoulder say no - as does the wife, who pays for the guns I buy.

wgg
02-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I found a like new Rossi 20" 357 pre safety model and a Marlin 883 blue steel and walnut could not resist. Bought them both now have to sell something. Found them in a feed store in a small East Texas town. I like supporting small businesses when I can.

TXGunNut
02-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Good point, wgg. I'd really like my next rifle/carbine to be a 92. I have a nice 32 project rifle right now, a rough 30-30 project rifle would be silly. Mebbe I should put the checkbook away before I head for the range this weekend.

pls1911
02-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Guys, keep the stories coming... You're hurtin' me!!!
The humorous behaviour described on this thread could be the basis for a fine book.
I must admit to having used many of the same ruses when questioned by the wife though.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-13-2012, 09:30 PM
When did you get that rifle, This old thing I had it before we was married. I just can't come to do it tho.

+ 1 on that

raingauge
02-13-2012, 09:34 PM
I also passed. Was in Butt's Guns, looking for a a 94 that had been there a few months, it was gone. Made in '06, rough wood and finish, peep sight, but it was gone. Lo and behold, there is another '94 in there, made in '63, 95% conservative, maybe 98%, 795.00. I make an offer, the shop owner looks at the gun, and says, "It's worth 800, I won't budge." I says I can't give you asking price on it, against my principle on a "used" rifle. I put it back in the rack, we chatted, and I left it there. Kind of haunts me, I'm afraid to go back, it may still be there.

TXGunNut
02-13-2012, 11:45 PM
I put it back in the rack, we chatted, and I left it there. Kind of haunts me, I'm afraid to go back, it may still be there. -raingauge

My rule is if I pick it up three times it's time for a little paperwork. On occasion I'll snatch it up try to smuggle it up to the counter before someone else sees it. [smilie=w: Used to frequent a mom & pop shop where guns were priced to sell; if I liked it and didn't buy it it wouldn't be there next time. Poor levergun was still there Saturday but I'd already stashed the checkbook, didn't have an extra rifle case along anyway. :sad: Something about this rifle will always haunt me, it's a project gun and I don't need another rifle project. I would like a "shooter" 30-30 and this rifle would do that nicely. It's just that it needs several hours of cosmetic work, a good scrubbing and $100 worth of sights. I sure hope some kind soul takes it home before next weekend. Everytime someone picked it up Saturday I'd say "sure wish you'd buy that!".

maglvr
02-16-2012, 04:39 AM
I had a wife that didn't want me to buy anymore guns, notice I said "had". ;)

Rafe Covington
02-16-2012, 05:20 AM
I had a wife that didn't want me to buy anymore guns, notice I said "had". ;)

I was lucky, my late wife used to buy me guns for Christmas and birthdays.

Rafe[smilie=s:

EDK
02-16-2012, 05:28 AM
I really desire a Marlin 1895 45-7- govt lever, but my shoulder say no - as does the wife, who pays for the guns I buy.

Do a search for gmdr and learn all about reduced loads. I got to get busy and load up some 45/70s for the 1895 Cowboy rifles...they ain't seen much sunshine and lead in a loooong time.

You got to be a little bit careful on the gun purchases. Even my inexperienced bride can tell the difference between a lever gun and an AR15 or an M1A. Hmmm, I wonder if she can tell the difference between the M1A SQUAD SCOUT and an AR15...the pistol grip might be a giveaway? Report MAY follow:violin:

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

Lefthandshooter
02-16-2012, 09:13 AM
My wife told me "You don't need any more guns!" also, but she is worth too much to make mad or worse over a firearm purchase.

Wayne Smith
02-24-2012, 02:59 PM
My wife told me "You don't need any more guns!" also, but she is worth too much to make mad or worse over a firearm purchase.

I can be smart a**ed, but I would have looked at her and said "I didn't need the first one, either". As long as the money is good I'm OK with LOML. When money is tight I agree with her.

Lefthandshooter
02-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Well, the money is a little tighter and the kid is thinking college, so we are trying to save up something for a car for hom and college help.

I told him to join the armed forces full time so I can have his college fund for guns.
Little twerp told hs mom that and I got the ?look? treatment all night long!

Lefthandshooter
02-24-2012, 05:06 PM
You got to be a little bit careful on the gun purchases. Even my inexperienced bride can tell the difference between a lever gun and an AR15 or an M1A. Hmmm, I wonder if she can tell the difference between the M1A SQUAD SCOUT and an AR15...the pistol grip might be a giveaway? Report MAY follow:violin:

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

Buy revolvers - they all look the same! :bigsmyl2:

Gee_Wizz01
02-25-2012, 11:20 AM
I nearly went broke in the early 90's when I was stationed in Va. The Va legislature passed the 1 gun a month law. That law nearly broke me, I couldn't afford one gun a month! My wife complained constantly. She would even count guns in the safe! Little did I know she was counting because she was getting ready to divorce me! One of her friends tipped me off and I "Sold" all of my guns before the divorce. My new wife doesn't care as long as we have enough money for the kids and grand kids! My new wife did grumble one time and showed her how much she spent on furniture, clothes and shoes. Then I showed her my expenditures were less than hers. She hasn't complained since.
As my age increases, I stare into the safe and wonder if I will have enough time left to justify buying any more new guns....... Then reality sets in. My Grandkids will have fun with my guns, and suddenly everything feels good.

G

TXGunNut
02-29-2012, 01:18 AM
I'm a confirmed bachelor, my guns are for my enjoyment only. Romantic interests never see my toys until I get to know them, most don't even know I have a CHL. If they put themselves above my interest in guns, I bid them farewell. If they share my interest I proceed w/ caution.
I'm trying to cut back to 1 or 2/yr but not having much luck. Nieces and their husbands are great kids but have little interest in guns so will have to give my will some serious thought...someday.
Need to test some .32 Spl loads this weekend, hope that 94 has found a new home by then. I'm trying to order a Sharps and don't need more projects!

Wag
03-03-2012, 08:30 PM
I love lever guns so it's a huge surprise to me to look into my safe and see a grand total of . . .

One.

Yup. Just one W94 30-30. I need more.

Sadly, I was in the Mom & Pop store yesterday and saw a .357 magnum and a .45 Colt on the same rack at the same time. Amazing, actually, and not bad on the pricing. the .45 was a Rossi and for the life of me, I don't recall what the .357 magnum was. Dangit.

The wiff wouldn't mind me having them both but we need to pick up some other stuff first.

--Wag--

TXGunNut
03-03-2012, 09:25 PM
I'd be sorely tempted by a either in a 92, if it was a nice 44-40 I'd just have to figure out the financial details later. I'm actually kicking around selling a few but can't get my mind off that well-used 30-30.

Wag
03-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah, the 30-30 sounds tempting. I can't quit thinking about the two I saw yesterday, either. When I go to the show tomorrow, I'm going to see if there is anything there that may compare and who knows? I may come home with a new member of the family!

--Wag--

TXGunNut
03-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Good hunting, my friend. It's not good to just have one levergun, pretty soon they start acting odd and pretty soon you can't do much with them....or is that horses? Better pick up a nice levergun tomorrow just to be sure. I think I'll tote an empty case or two when I head out tomorrow. [smilie=2:

Wag
03-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Good hunting, my friend. It's not good to just have one levergun, pretty soon they start acting odd and pretty soon you can't do much with them....or is that horses? Better pick a nice levergun tomorrow just to be sure. I think I'll tote an empty case or two when I head out tomorrow. [smilie=2:

I thought that was women?

Oh, sorry, did I say that out loud? :D

--Wag--

TXGunNut
03-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Dunno, Wag, haven't had much luck @ keeping even one woman around. With more than one I'd worry about pack mentality and my personal safety. :bigsmyl2:
An old dog and a few good leverguns keep a smile on my face and my butt out of trouble.

Wag
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Words to live by! :D

--Wag--

TXGunNut
03-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Passed on more than a few leverguns today @ Cabelas. Saw FOUR Marlin 336's in 35 Rem! None especially nice, at least not nearly as nice as the one I snagged 18 months ago. Then came the real shocker; a Marlin Model 375 (375 Win) levergun but they had it priced wrong. Never seen one, would have bought it except for the price; $699. :confused: Gun won't grade higher than 80%, worth $300 tops.:cry: They even had four apparently new Remlin 336 30-30's clearance priced @ $399. Lots of 94's, even a Rossi 1873 in 45 Colt.
I took my 98% 94 Winchester Big Bore .375 in to see if the Gun Library buyer would make me a decent offer. He didn't. His offer was based on sales history but there is no record of the condition in their data. Strange. He offered me about $425 but we both know it's worth $700. I'd have taken $525 but he wouldn't bite. He told me they mark used guns up 30% but those numbers don't work. We both knew they'd put it in the case for $699 or $749, maybe more. It was a pleasant enough visit but the buyer was a part-timer and didn't feel confident making an offer I would accept. I got some good insight into how they do business so it wasn't a waste of time. I'll run it past a full-time buyer next weekend. Mebbe they'll have the Marlin 375 priced right by then.

Wag
03-06-2012, 12:08 AM
One can only hope, eh?

--Wag--

TXGunNut
03-06-2012, 12:14 AM
One can only hope, eh?

--Wag--

Could be I'm just dreaming. I've picked up some very nice rifles there because of the way they (don't) grade rifles. I'll just have to be patient or a bit more persuasive.

Wag
03-07-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm always keeping my eye out. I've been afraid to go back to the store this week but I may have to give in and see if they still have those two. I'm betting he'd let them both go for $800.00 :-)

Maybe....... LOL

--Wag--

TXGunNut
03-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm always keeping my eye out. I've been afraid to go back to the store this week but I may have to give in and see if they still have those two. I'm betting he'd let them both go for $800.00 :-)

Maybe....... LOL

--Wag--

For the life of me I don't see a downside. Care to point it out? :mrgreen:

Wag
03-08-2012, 08:45 PM
I haven't done my taxes yet......... LOL

--Wag--

TXGunNut
03-08-2012, 10:32 PM
I haven't done mine either, need to do my mom's too. Probably won't feel like buying anything after writing Uncle Sugar a check.

Wag
03-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Okay, taxes on the agenda in the morning tomorrow. Gun store in the afternoon. If I dare.

LOL

--Wag--

TXGunNut
03-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Will formulate an action plan for my mom's taxes tomorrow. Gun store not likely later, have a date. If she wants to go by a gun store I'll probably propose. :bigsmyl2: