PDA

View Full Version : Wal Mart stops handling lead WW?

Ficus
01-29-2012, 08:14 AM
While getting an oil change I asked at wal mart if they still didn't let people have used WW.

The guy checking me out said wal mart had quit handling lead WW.

And THIS is West Virginia, not Californika!

Y'r ol' Bud, Ficus

Lonely Raven
01-29-2012, 10:08 AM
I was informed by a shop owner here in Illinois that as of January 1st, a shop can be fined for using lead wheel weights. He gave me two boxes of unused, new in the box lead wheel weights and said I could find more info on the IL Gov pages.

I have a feeling this is being pushed everywhere soon.

yovinny
01-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Don't know if it's true, but a tire shop manager in KY told me that all the states excepy WY had banned lead weights as of Jan 1.

Snyd
01-29-2012, 12:04 PM
http://www.leadfreewheels.org

It is state by state and this point. But, certain shops/store are doing it as well, if I remember right, Costco, Sams/Walmart, maybe Sears? Les Schwab Tire has been phasing them out for a few years now.

imashooter2
01-29-2012, 12:05 PM
It doesn't matter if states individually ban lead weights. Some states already have and manufacturers are not going to keep 2 lines open for making weights. They'll switch everything to lead free so that they can sell to every state in the union.

yovinny
01-29-2012, 12:14 PM
It doesn't matter if states individually ban lead weights. Some states already have and manufacturers are not going to keep 2 lines open for making weights. They'll switch everything to lead free so that they can sell to every state in the union.

Thats very true, just try buying a heating system brass circulator pump.
Calli banned brass pumps, cause they have like 1% lead in the brass :shock:
So the pump companies figured all the states would end up doing the same and completely stoped making brass ones at all.
So now you have to buy stainless instead at like 3X the cost

oldred
01-29-2012, 12:28 PM
This explains why I was given two large boxes of shinny new wheel weights at my local farmer's CO-OP a couple of months ago, I live in Tn. I mentioned it here when this happened and while I was delighted with all this clean WW lead I was a bit puzzled at how it came to be. While picking up some farm items I just asked if they had any weights in the shop and he said he had a bunch he needed to get rid off, the"needed to get rid off" part sounded strange. When I backed my truck into the shop the guy at the tire rack loaded up a small bucket of tobacco chaw poisoned WWs and a couple of heavy cardboard boxes of brand new ones! I thought maybe he was just trying to be helpful? Actually I didn't know what to make of it but it all makes sense now.

Uncle Jimbo
01-29-2012, 04:35 PM
In Utah, Wal Mart, Big "O", Discount tires, and Les Shawab have all quit using lead. The ones in my area won't even give you the old lead ones they remove. Claim they have to return them under some kind of contract.

fredj338
01-29-2012, 05:14 PM
I warned everyone two years ago when Kommifornia banned lead ww. That signaled the end of the cheap/free alloy for bullet casting. Give it a couple more years & there will be no more lead ww but those we have already socked away.

oldred
01-29-2012, 05:18 PM
I warned everyone two years ago when Kommifornia banned lead ww. That signaled the end of the cheap/free alloy for bullet casting. Give it a couple more years & there will be no more lead ww but those we have already socked away.

Sssh, I'm stocking as fast as I can!!!!

Ola
01-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Ouch. I know how you feel cause we've had the ban for many years now.

Luckily I stocked "some" in advance and collected the used WW's even after the ban. First year the used WW's were still good old lead. Second year it was 60% lead, 40% zink. Now they are zink. So it'll take some time before the lead is out of the circulation.

Btw. Here the heavy vehicles ( busses, trucks, etc) are still allowed to have lead WW's. They are little harder to get, but those are nice 1/4, 1/2 and even 1 pound WW's..

KohlerK91
01-29-2012, 06:21 PM
I was told by my local sources that another year it will be hard to get . He is seeing more and more NON lead WW.

He didnt say if he was currently required to use non-lead or not.

bigjason6
01-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Looks like this is happening sooner than we think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdp46Jen_w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

GT27
01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Junk yards, and better act quick!

happyret65
01-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Time to design a re claim trap and when you're done shooting go down range to pickup your lead/target.

mold maker
01-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Less than a year ago I was called a greedy hoarder for gathering all the WW I could get.
Well this greedy hoarder has over a ton in ingots, and those that called me names, are wanting me to share.
Guess what, I'm still making the effort to find the last lead WW around. They trade for powder and primers, better than money.