PDA

View Full Version : Ordering accurate mold, need help

Rotaxxx
01-28-2012, 11:29 PM
I was going to order a accurate mold off there site but I am a little confused on how to do it. First thing it asked is the boolit diameter, I need a .330 but then it asks for a catalogue number, and in there catalogue they don't list a .330 boolit. What am I missing here?

Hope that makes sense.

adrians
01-28-2012, 11:49 PM
me thinks you choose a design you prefer in the catalog closest in size/wght to your specs and Tom will tweak it to .330 for ya.
please correct me if i am wrong fella's, i haven't got an accurate mold but am very tempted to order one myself for my 71/84 Mauser.
:twisted::coffee::twisted:

rockrat
01-29-2012, 01:01 AM
Yup, you can choose a design, either oversized or undersized and have Tom adjust the diameters for your gun. You might e-mail him first about your wants. He might just add what you want, to his catalog.

turbo1889
01-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Correct:

The first two digits before the dash in the mold designation in his catalog designate the approximate diameter the design is intended for.

For example, the molds that start with 31- can easily be ordered as small as 0.306" up to 0.317" or so. Which covers pretty much everything down to the obscure sub-30 caliber cartridges that take jacketed bullets that are barely 0.300" diameter and most 30-cal. cast boolits are too large for all the way up to big fat 31-cal. boolits to fit a 303-brit. or 7.62x54R that has a well worn barrel.

If you need a 0.330" diameter boolit then you should pick a design from his catalog with a designation of either 32-###* or 33-###* and go from there. If it is a bore rider boolit then use the notes space on the order form to let him know the diameter you need for the bore riding section since a 32-###* is generally going to be for 8-mm caliber guns and "as is" may not have a large enough diameter bore riding section on the nose to fit your gun and a 33-###* design "as is" may have too large of a bore riding section on the nose to fit your gun.

If none of his 32-###* or 33-###* designs will fit your needs then you can tell him what you are looking for through e-mail and he can add a new design to his catalog to your specs.

Basically when ordering from Tom@AM:

First check to see if any of his designs in the approximate diameter range are what you want, and if so just order it up and specify the exact diameter you want and he will tweak the design to fit the measurements you give him (as I mentioned before don't forget to tell him the bore riding diameter in the notes field if appropriate for the design and you know what bore rider diameter you need and the design isn't already set up with that bore riding diameter).

Second check to see if any of his designs are what you want but are just the wrong size range for your needs and just need to be scaled up or down. For example say you want a boolit design for your 41-mag. and you don’t see a design you like in that size range but you do see a boolit design intended for the 44-mag. that you do like. Just shoot Tom an e-mail saying you like the design and ask him to just scale it down to 41-mag. size which from what I understand is fairly easy for him to do and add to his catalog.

Third (or if you are like me and just contrary and want to design your own almost every time) then you can carefully study his boolit design section of his web-site and taking careful consideration of his tooling capabilities either sharpen your pencils or fire up your computer drawing program and draw up your own design and e-mail it off to him (flat bed scanner turns hand drawings into e-mail-able electronic pictures) and he will do what he can to add the design to his catalog along with a critique of your design which can be helpful but don’t expect him to catch all your mistakes for you. A completely custom design is a little more dangerous since I have been bitten by own mistakes with drawing up my own completely custom designs plenty of times (but only once so far with Tom@AM and he adjusted the design in his catalog once I figured out my error after the fact). Long story short if you go custom be absolutely sure you really want what you are asking for because you’re going to get it, and the more custom you go the truer that is.

warf73
01-29-2012, 01:46 AM
It's simple as others have said, choose your design from the cataloge write it down. Then go the shop products and start.
1. Choose Bullet Molds
2. Is it a Magna mold?
3. All cavitys the same design
4. Body dia. choose what you want (in your case pick .330")
5. Mold blocks (this you can choose the number of cavitys and mold material) pick brass :)
6. Choose casting alloy (pick what is closest to what you are using)
7. Pick sprue design
8. Now put in the catalog number, below that make sure the dia is corret.
9. Gas check design or not.
10. Write what your using this bullet in aka 8mm Moucer or what ever it is.
11. If there is anything special you need to let him know about put it in also or something you two talked about just remind him there.
12. It will show you what you ordered make sure its all right before going on because whats on that page is what he will build for you.

That should get you well on your way to a new Accurate mold.

Hope it helps if you have any questions don't hessate to ask Tom via email.

Warf

Grandpas50AE
01-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Like the previous two posters explained, it is easier than it may seem. I didn't see what I really wanted in his catalog a few weeks ago, but saw something elsewhere I thought was jsut the ticket. I emailed him what I had looked at and asked if there was some way we could design something similar - that was on a Friday afternoon. Saturday morning I had a reply that the new design I had in mind had been added to the catalog and was available to order, and the catalog number. I looked, and sure enough it was what I had looked at. I ordered it that morning, and the following Saturday it was in my mail box.

If you don't see what you are looking for, email him, he is really a pleasure to work with as far as I'm concerned.

Rotaxxx
01-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I want to slug my bore just to make sure I need the .330 and not bigger/smaller one.

warf73
01-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Thanks everyone. I want to slug my bore just to make sure I need the .330 and not bigger/smaller one.

Very good idea Rotaxxx, I did the same thing with my pistol before ordering my mold. Never hurts to double check before dropping a C note.

madsenshooter
01-31-2012, 04:44 AM
Also, if what you're ordering has a bore rider, you want to put the nose diameter you want in the special comments section. Some want their bullets to ride the lands, I prefer mine to engrave lightly.